• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Small Engine Help - Subaru / Robin

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a Subaru / Robin EX27 engine on my Dewalt 3500PSI pressure washer. Recently, it has been idling very high at low throttle and bogs down when under a load at high throttle. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the idle and throttle? Before this issue, it would almost etch concrete, now its powerful, but nowhere near what it used to be. Pump is new with about 15-20 hours on it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a Subaru / Robin EX27 engine on my Dewalt 3500PSI pressure washer. Recently, it has been idling very high at low throttle and bogs down when under a load at high throttle. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the idle and throttle? Before this issue, it would almost etch concrete, now its powerful, but nowhere near what it used to be. Pump is new with about 15-20 hours on it. Any help is greatly appreciated!
FBR’s post came through as I was writing this..

Sounds like you have a lean condition going on… is the spark plug bright white? Any pinging or knocking sounds?

I assume it is carbureted, take the carb off unless you can get to the jets without doing so and clean them out, more than likely the pilot / idling jet is clogged and or the main as well. Your carb is most likely another victim of ethanol laced fuel… going forward either run real gas or be sure and put Star Tron additive in the ethanol laced fuel.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From @fatboyroy post I see that there is a float bowl drain the carb.. try draining the float bowl first before cleaning it.. you may just have some water in there. Probably needs to be cleaned as well, but water in the float bowl could be the culprit.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
A guy borrowed it and ran the tank dry and dropped it off. Ever since then it wouldn’t run right. I took the carb off and cleaned it but didn’t see anything noticeable in the ports or needle, but I will try again this weekend. Should I just get acetone and a bucket and let it sit in there? New to the carb game, I come from the era of fuel injection 😉

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A guy borrowed it and ran the tank dry and dropped it off. Ever since then it wouldn’t run right. I took the carb off and cleaned it but didn’t see anything noticeable in the ports or needle, but I will try again this weekend. Should I just get acetone and a bucket and let it sit in there? New to the carb game, I come from the era of fuel injection 😉
Yea, and if you have air compressor, blow all the holes you can find to clear with debris but check the float first make sure it freely go up and down. You can blow in the hole and see if it go up and when you stop it should go down.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's crazy on carbs what a small air duct can do,
my push mower was bogging down under load this summer, pulled and cleaned the carb, same issue, watched a couple youtubes about that specific carb, found a passage I didn't see before, pulled it off, stuck a strand of wire in that passage, put it back on and ran great

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I may throw some photos and possibly a video on this thread just to see/hear what’s going on.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Clean the air filter and run some seafoam thru the motor.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So a guy borrowed it, ran it out of gas, and brought it back empty??

I would not soak all the parts in Acetone. The needle especially may not deal well with acetone.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just take the loss and put a new carb on it. I bet after it's replaced It will run like new.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
did you try cleaning the carb? soak in acetone for an hour and use brush to clean. Or you can replace it its only $32.

Carburetor For Subaru Robin EX27 Engine Motors Pressure Washer Water Pumps 9HP | eBay
Just take the loss and put a new carb on it. I bet after it's replaced It will run like new.

I found this one is OEM

Probably gunked up jet or have stuck needle, bad float would keep gas from going in.
Any left over gas turned to turpentine and gummed up everything. I turn fuel peck off and let engine stall to prevent it from happing if I m using it regularly.
Buy some parts clearer to soak parts and jets in but all that work the new carburetor would be easiest way to go

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So a guy borrowed it, ran it out of gas, and brought it back empty??

I would not soak all the parts in Acetone. The needle especially may not deal well with acetone.
Yes. I think it may have sucked up some crap from the tank and gummed something up.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Purchased an aftermarket carb kit from Amazon. If I can’t see anything wrong with the old one, I will swap them out. For $25, I think it’s a good deal even tho it’s Chinese made, not trying to have that come off wrong by any means.
Carb
New fuel line
Clamps
2 inline filters
Spark plug
Gaskets and shut off valve
Air filter

Attachments

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Purchased an aftermarket carb kit from Amazon. If I can’t see anything wrong with the old one, I will swap them out. For $25, I think it’s a good deal even tho it’s Chinese made, not trying to have that come off wrong by any means.
Carb
New fuel line
Clamps
2 inline filters
Spark plug
Gaskets and shut off valve
Air filter
save old one as backup

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The original carb should be good if it was the air filter falling apart. Curious, a paper element or oiled foam?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
It was a foam filter but didn’t see much oil on it. It’s pretty old, I got it second hand from work when they were tossing it. They couldn’t keep it running and bought a new one so I took it, cleaned the carb and replaced the plug. Worked good up until recently.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It was a foam filter but didn’t see much oil on it. It’s pretty old, I got it second hand from work when they were tossing it. They couldn’t keep it running and bought a new one so I took it, cleaned the carb and replaced the plug. Worked good up until recently.
Right on! I’d call that a Barganza! The foam should have foam filter oil on it.. not just motor oil. The best stuff I’ve found is No Toil.. super easy to clean up and use. Maxima FFT filter oil is really good as well, but you have to clean that with diesel fuel, whereas the No Toil is cleaned using there soap in the kitchen sink.

Sounds like it runs good.. bouncing off of the governor at full throttle a bit but thats fine, thats what the governor is for. Especially if it doesn’t use any oil.