• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sotally Tober 6 Conceptual Build - 2024 222SE

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well... I'm back to SIMRAD NSX 7. I plan on using a NavPod "PowerPod 20" to mount the unit on the helm. I think this will be a nice clean look especially mounted next to the floating connext screen.

I was ready to pull the trigger and noticed that NavPod did not have any precut PowerPods to accommodate the Axiom+ 7 so I reached out to them and this was their response:

"Unfortunately, the mounting brackets and cables for Axiom 7 / Axiom+ 7 displays are so unusually deep that those models do not fit inside our PowerPod models that house virtually every other 7" display on the market (even if Raymarine's Front Mount Kit and 90-degree cable connectors are used to minimize the depth fit). I'm sorry we don't have a tighter fit for this particular 7" display. It's just sort of a unique issue with the unusual depth of the brackets and cables for Axiom displays. If you have any other questions, please just let us know."

Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me. I only plan on using the unit for light inland lake GPS and the loss of the other features is not a big deal in my case. I guess aesthetics won over functionality on this one!

Thanks for the recommendations on the Axiom though.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 20.42.20.pngScreenshot 2023-04-05 at 20.40.38.png

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That pod is super clean. Wonder if it works with Garmins.

EDIT: They do. This should look very clean next to the OEM screen. Thanks now I want to spend money lol.

But they do list the Axiom:

Last edited:

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That pod is super clean. Wonder if it works with Garmins.

EDIT: They do. This should look very clean next to the OEM screen. Thanks now I want to spend money lol.

But they do list the Axiom:

Reached out and this was their response:

"The Axiom+ 7 will fit in our PP4800 Series PowerPod, but because that NavPod is fairly oversized for a 7" display (it's sized for 9" and some 10" displays; see dimensions attached), we do not offer a pre-cut for the Axiom 7 / Axiom+ 7 in that Series. The best option we can offer is the un-cut PP4800 (https://navpod.com/product/pp4800/), which would require you to make the cutout yourself."

Their Customer Service is the fastest I've ever seen. Also the responses are coming from the company's Vice President.

I'm looking at the 7inch models as I think with the PowerPod, the 9inch model may look oversized on the helm.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We do like our Navpod with Aviom 9RV, wind instruments and autopilot pilot.

20190628_171638.jpg

The helm without it before the refit.

20210522_063023.jpg

I know...it's a 30yo sailboat.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well... I'm back to SIMRAD NSX 7. I plan on using a NavPod "PowerPod 20" to mount the unit on the helm. I think this will be a nice clean look especially mounted next to the floating connext screen.

I was ready to pull the trigger and noticed that NavPod did not have any precut PowerPods to accommodate the Axiom+ 7 so I reached out to them and this was their response:

"Unfortunately, the mounting brackets and cables for Axiom 7 / Axiom+ 7 displays are so unusually deep that those models do not fit inside our PowerPod models that house virtually every other 7" display on the market (even if Raymarine's Front Mount Kit and 90-degree cable connectors are used to minimize the depth fit). I'm sorry we don't have a tighter fit for this particular 7" display. It's just sort of a unique issue with the unusual depth of the brackets and cables for Axiom displays. If you have any other questions, please just let us know."

Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me. I only plan on using the unit for light inland lake GPS and the loss of the other features is not a big deal in my case. I guess aesthetics won over functionality on this one!

I think that the NSX will be great in your use case. No tides, you can mark your own hazards if you find them, etc. As a product, the NSX is still brand new and will probably grow into its capabilities provided that SIMRAD actually invests in it. Both this and the Axiom have the same andriod based OS. The Axiom wasn't that well received when it was first released due to it not being fully baked either. That being said, the interface, all touchscreen, is intuitive, super fast and the ability to create custom views is really cool. I've not had a problem with the screen when it was a little damp either or in direct sun, so the hardware seems great so far.

The biggest issue I have is the inability to use any other map service other than C-MAP, which I just do not care for. Honestly, I don't know how they expect to compete if they don't allow freedom to use other map types, most every other modern unit does. Lots of people I know in the serious fishing communities like using products like StrikeLines and others which are also incompatable.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think that the NSX will be great in your use case. No tides, you can mark your own hazards if you find them, etc. As a product, the NSX is still brand new and will probably grow into its capabilities provided that SIMRAD actually invests in it. Both this and the Axiom have the same andriod based OS. The Axiom wasn't that well received when it was first released due to it not being fully baked either. That being said, the interface, all touchscreen, is intuitive, super fast and the ability to create custom views is really cool. I've not had a problem with the screen when it was a little damp either or in direct sun, so the hardware seems great so far.

The biggest issue I have is the inability to use any other map service other than C-MAP, which I just do not care for. Honestly, I don't know how they expect to compete if they don't allow freedom to use other map types, most every other modern unit does. Lots of people I know in the serious fishing communities like using products like StrikeLines and others which are also incompatable.
Good to hear! Is there any option for a satellite overlay (photo mode) for C-MAP on the NSX?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry for the minor hijack: For the folks who are recommending Axiom+ over the Simrad Go7 - any particular reason? The feature sets look similar, and the only complaint I have about the Go7 is that it can feel a little sluggish at times (especially when routing), but otherwise its never skipped a beat and rock solid. Sounds on paper that its a brighter and clearer display, but never found mine to be lacking.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It’s not an investment, it’s something that makes us happy. Overkill is par for the course on all of our builds. Wouldn’t have it any other way.
Missed this.

I don't mean as an investment. But you get to the point where one more speaker doesn't make it any louder (or if it does it would hardly register on a meter, let alone your ear). In fact you can potentially run into issues where speakers start cancelling each other out. I saw this a lot back in my day doing car audio. The hood cars added every speaker they could find and still weren't as loud or good sounding as a well designed set up with much less speakers. Anything behind the 6 REV12s will pretty much be inaudible. Those will be so loud, you wouldn't even know if the swim deck speakers stopped working.

Also curious why two controllers on the swim deck?

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good to hear! Is there any option for a satellite overlay (photo mode) for C-MAP on the NSX?
Yes, the standard chart, the one that comes with it free, does not have the overlay, but the RevealX upgrade chart does.

Last edited:

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry for the minor hijack: For the folks who are recommending Axiom+ over the Simrad Go7 - any particular reason? The feature sets look similar, and the only complaint I have about the Go7 is that it can feel a little sluggish at times (especially when routing), but otherwise its never skipped a beat and rock solid. Sounds on paper that its a brighter and clearer display, but never found mine to be lacking.
Axiom and the Simrad NSX are the next gen for these devices. Simrad will stop making the Go series soon, if they havn't already. The Axiom and Simrad NSX are all based on newer OS which are faster, better screens, more customizable and more future proof in my opinion. They have greater opportunities for some pretty cool features if the companies decide to invest money in coding it. It seems like Raymarine is ahead of the game now, but time will tell. I think its possible that these units could be programmed to include some of the really advanced features that you find on some of the other brands; drift calculators, trolling motor integration, wireless networking with smart devices in a meaningful way etc.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Axiom and the Simrad NSX are the next gen for these devices. Simrad will stop making the Go series soon, if they havn't already. The Axiom and Simrad NSX are all based on newer OS which are faster, better screens, more customizable and more future proof in my opinion. They have greater opportunities for some pretty cool features if the companies decide to invest money in coding it. It seems like Raymarine is ahead of the game now, but time will tell. I think its possible that these units could be programmed to include some of the really advanced features that you find on some of the other brands; drift calculators, trolling motor integration, wireless networking with smart devices in a meaningful way etc.
I went down the rabbit hole of researching this today. With some effort I think you can get a decent amount of stuff from 12" connext, but it will take some work.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Missed this.

I don't mean as an investment. But you get to the point where one more speaker doesn't make it any louder (or if it does it would hardly register on a meter, let alone your ear). In fact you can potentially run into issues where speakers start cancelling each other out. I saw this a lot back in my day doing car audio. The hood cars added every speaker they could find and still weren't as loud or good sounding as a well designed set up with much less speakers. Anything behind the 6 REV12s will pretty much be inaudible. Those will be so loud, you wouldn't even know if the swim deck speakers stopped working.

Also curious why two controllers on the swim deck?
- Anything behind the 6 REV12s will pretty much be inaudible. Those will be so loud, you wouldn't even know if the swim deck speakers stopped working.
Absolutely agree. That's why the 6 Rev-12s are in their own zone. I can quiet them down or turn them up. Also another reason I chose not to put more speakers on the swim deck and instead added more bass/subs on the step. The goal of this set up is to run the party cove. We know how to be respectful, chill land low key but at the same time we know when and where to turn the system up at full tilt. The boat is designed to be a party boat and every build I try to top the last. Everyone has 4 Rev-10s or Rev-12s.... So I'm getting 6 =). When we do a sound system we do it up right.

- Also curious why two controllers on the swim deck?
On my 2019 242SE build I only had one on the Starboard side corner of the swim step. I found that I always had to sit on that side to control the audio or asking someone to move so I could manage it. A controller on each side eliminates that problem.

Also on this build, instead of having 2 massive Wet Sounds XXX Subs pounding the boat, I'm spreading all the subs around the boat. The bow will have coverage, the cockpit will have coverage and the swim step will have coverage.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, the standard chart, the one that comes with it free, does not have the overlay, but the RevealX upgrade chart does.
Thanks. Is the RevealX one upfront purchase or is it subscription based?

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks. Is the RevealX one upfront purchase or is it subscription based?
Depends on how often you want to update. One year updates included after purchase, not sure how much renewals are, (haven’t got there yet), probably less important for some bodies of water.

smogden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

View attachment 197111View attachment 197112
How do you think it will all fit with the cell phone mount there as well? I’m dealing with something like this similar since the connext gps is pretty much useless and I need a gps that is always recording and always showing the track and not deleting it. Last boat I had I used a garmin and it all showed all my tracks until I cleared them

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How do you think it will all fit with the cell phone mount there as well? I’m dealing with something like this similar since the connext gps is pretty much useless and I need a gps that is always recording and always showing the track and not deleting it. Last boat I had I used a garmin and it all showed all my tracks until I cleared them
I plan on removing the cell phone holder and ordering a custom piece of SeaDek/Marine Mat from JBP to cover the holes left from the holder.

I'll be adding plenty of charging ports throughout the boat so I'll be able to charge my phone elsewhere.

smogden

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I plan on removing the cell phone holder and ordering a custom piece of SeaDek/Marine Mat from JBP to cover the holes left from the holder.

I'll be adding plenty of charging ports throughout the boat so I'll be able to charge my phone elsewhere.
Oh ok. I’m wanting to keep it. It I have been hearing good things about the simrad units. I think my old garmin was like a 5.5 chirp or whatever the heck it was. It wasn’t huge. But kept me off sand bars and helped me get back at night. Lol

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh ok. I’m wanting to keep it. It I have been hearing good things about the simrad units. I think my old garmin was like a 5.5 chirp or whatever the heck it was. It wasn’t huge. But kept me off sand bars and helped me get back at night. Lol
You can always relocate a cell phone mount to the same area that I plan on mounting my IPAD Mini (see conceptual build helm pics).

Will the OEM phone holder fit with a GPS Unit in front of it? Yes. But in my opinion it would look awkward, crowded and you wouldn't have any visibility of the phone when sitting as the GPS will block it.