• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Spark plugs

Shack

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m just curious, ‘20 ar240, i pulled the spark plugs and put a couple shots of fogging oil down the holes last fall for my winterizing. Changed the oil this spring and took it out for its run and checked the oil on the water. Everything ran great, 48mph with wife and kid in the bow. I was gonna change plugs after the first outing but I decided to run them again for the second outing. Everything was perfect. Probably a dumb question but is there any reason to change them out? I plan on just keeping the new ones on the boat til I actually need them. Don’t fix what isn’t broken, right?!

I’d rather change them now and keep the old ones as backup, haha. But hey if it’s working might as well roll with it!

I just follow the recommended maintenance which says check every 12 months or 100 hours.
Some replace yearly since they are checking them anyway.
I haven't changed mine and I have 70 hours on my 2020 212s.
I haven't lost any performance either.
I'll check them at the end of the season and replace if necessary.
I would say if your don't have any issues, check them at the end of the season, and replace if necessary.

Totally up to you on replacing them. If you end up running them at least put the new ones somewhere in the boat in case you need to change one or more out while on the water.

I just changed mine yesterday because I was starting to see a drop off in max rpm’s. Posted this thread about it…https://jetboaters.net/threads/restored-performance-with-spark-plugs.38204/

As @Acard7 says he just changes them at the beginning of the season and is done with it, the plugs are inexpensive, and he is good to go for the season.

I took the run them and see how long they last approach this time. In the past I had changed them at 10 hours and 83 hours, and now have 193 hours, so I got roughly 110 hours out of this set. I still find it interesting that these motors seem to go through plugs so quickly, as you can see from the thread I did, they did have some wear on them. I don’t fog my engines over the winter.

I think it’s a matter of how many hours you have on the plugs, and your tolerance level for the performance drop off on a day on the water when the plugs need replacing.

Thanks for the reply’s. New plugs are on board and ready when needed. I just wasn’t sure on doing the fogging and then to keep using the same plugs. I know fogging is a whole other huge debate, lol. First boat and trying to do things right. This forum is awesome!!

I just changed mine yesterday because I was starting to see a drop off in max rpm’s. Posted this thread about it…https://jetboaters.net/threads/restored-performance-with-spark-plugs.38204/

I think it’s a matter of how many hours you have on the plugs, and your tolerance level for the performance drop off on a day on the water when the plugs need replacing.

This is a great answer. Inspect your plugs, gap them, and replace when you notice RPM drop's or performance changes. I'm starting my third season on these plugs, and I noticed a bit of RPM drop. Its now time to pull them and inspect. I may get by with gapping and cleaning and the motors will be fine.

Keep in mind, these are not two stroke snowmobiles (that could foul a plug out on the trail at any time) These machines burn dirtier than a car, but not that bad. There is a fine line between preventative maintenance and just being wasteful. They don't go bad like clockwork. Do it when it is needed.

Back