• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sportster Dual carb to single carb

Nono

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a seized 586 motor in a 1995 sportster I am restoring. I bought a 1995 jet ski with a newer 586 with good compression. The old motor had dual carbs the new motor has a single. Can I make the single carb work. I may have to play with the linkage.
I'm not looking for speed. I have converted the boat for river fishing.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat is bigger. You might need the power to just get on plane.

Nono

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So the dual carb will give me more power?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Totally depends on the size of the carbs… if the single has the necessary flow rate, e.g. diameter then it will work. Depends also on the intake impulse through the carb as well which is directly influenced by the size of the carb and the air flow.

Generally speaking a smaller carb has a greater intake impulse and creates more torque. A larger carb has a lower intake impulse but is better for higher engine speeds and more horsepower.

Nono

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for your help. I should be ready to put her in the water soon. I'll let you know. Thanks again.