• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 195 Performance Engine Mods

c.whitworth07@

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
He has done a massive amount of (awesome) modifications
lol appears that way, I am new to the boat world. I purchased a used SX192 and have done some mods to it myself, radio, lights, wake tower, etc. BUT the added weight is killing me and I slip my boat and have to pull it out biweekly to clean the hull. If not FULLY loaded it wont do above 35MPH.

I need some ideas and photos as to what I can do that wont break the bank (mrs will kill me)

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
lol appears that way, I am new to the boat world. I purchased a used SX192 and have done some mods to it myself, radio, lights, wake tower, etc. BUT the added weight is killing me and I slip my boat and have to pull it out biweekly to clean the hull. If not FULLY loaded it wont do above 35MPH.

I need some ideas and photos as to what I can do that wont break the bank (mrs will kill me)
I will start by saying you should be cautious when comparing your speeds to others on the forums/facebook groups. There are some guys who swear up and down that their non-supercharged 190 will run 50+ all day while sipping gas like a prius. My 195 with the newer hull (which is a little slower than yours should be) will hit 42ish loaded down with 7-8 adults and gear. You can start by checking your intake tunnel to make sure it is properly sealed, check your impeller for dings or dents, spark plugs, oil level, make sure your throttle is fully opening. If you are at a high altitude that will also hurt your performance. Weight in the front of the boat will also slow you down.

c.whitworth07@

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I will start by saying you should be cautious when comparing your speeds to others on the forums/facebook groups. There are some guys who swear up and down that their non-supercharged 190 will run 50+ all day while sipping gas like a prius. My 195 with the newer hull (which is a little slower than yours should be) will hit 42ish loaded down with 7-8 adults and gear. You can start by checking your intake tunnel to make sure it is properly sealed, check your impeller for dings or dents, spark plugs, oil level, make sure your throttle is fully opening. If you are at a high altitude that will also hurt your performance. Weight in the front of the boat will also slow you down.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that as well. Im about 650 above SL, Im wanting to upgrade the intercooler, Everytime i pull anything up it takes me to Waverunner stuff lol. Not sure if this is identical but im sketch about buying something for a wave runner when thats not what i have lol

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah, I forgot about that. The 192's are notorious for suffering from heat soak. If your boat runs faster at first, and slows down once it's warmed up, that's an indicator of heat soak. I believe you can install an intercooler from a 195 to address the heat soak issue. You can also install an aftermarket intercooler, but they are much more expensive than a used 195 intercooler. Do you know what your RPM's are at when you are full throttle/top speed?

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah, I'm starting to notice that as well. Im about 650 above SL, Im wanting to upgrade the intercooler, Everytime i pull anything up it takes me to Waverunner stuff lol. Not sure if this is identical but im sketch about buying something for a wave runner when thats not what i have lol
And from what I know, the waverunner engine and pumps are the same as the boats. The modifications on the skis have a much greater increase in power since the skis weigh a fraction of what our boats do.

c.whitworth07@

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
And from what I know, the waverunner engine and pumps are the same as the boats. The modifications on the skis have a much greater increase in power since the skis weigh a fraction of what our boats do.
Man to be 100% honest I don’t recall right off the top of my head but you said something about making sure that my throttle completely opened all the way?

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Man to be 100% honest I don’t recall right off the top of my head but you said something about making sure that my throttle completely opened all the way?
Yes. Push your lever all the way forward and go back to the engine bay and make sure the the throttle cable actually engaging the throttle all the way open. It can be adjusted if it is not fully engaging. A picture is worth a thousand words here, but I am not near my boat to snap one.

c.whitworth07@

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Yes. Push your lever all the way forward and go back to the engine bay and make sure the the throttle cable actually engaging the throttle all the way open. It can be adjusted if it is not fully engaging. A picture is worth a thousand words here, but I am not near my boat to snap one.
No worries bro I appreciate the advice I will have to take a look at it whenever I get back to the house I want to say it seems like whenever I push the throttle forward it doesn’t engage until it’s about a quarter of the way down

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey. So i got a 195s that isnt in the water yet and Im trying to do the mods and audio before it goes in and while its not warm here yet. What engine mods should I be looking at to get a little more power? Not looking to spend crazy $ but I saw the WORX intake and ribbon delete. I saw a post about a Mapper X tuner....I will look into that. What other simple things are there?

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Also cant find Riva power filter for the 195s. Is the Worx the same? And what about a jet pump impeller?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey. So i got a 195s that isnt in the water yet and Im trying to do the mods and audio before it goes in and while its not warm here yet. What engine mods should I be looking at to get a little more power? Not looking to spend crazy $ but I saw the WORX intake and ribbon delete. I saw a post about a Mapper X tuner....I will look into that. What other simple things are there?
Just my opinion but these 195s are pretty damn quick stock. Just take her out and see how you like, can't go wrong with putting a blow off valve on to preserve the SC clutch though. That won't gain you any speed but will ensure you aren't replacing your SC anytime in the near future

c.whitworth07@

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Just my opinion but these 195s are pretty damn quick stock. Just take her out and see how you like, can't go wrong with putting a blow off valve on to preserve the SC clutch though. That won't gain you any speed but will ensure you aren't replacing your SC anytime in the near future
Do you have a specific one you would suggest? I have a 2016 SX 192 and would like to add the blow off valve and maybe a bigger wheel

Looking at also grabbing an SVHo intercooler

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Do you have a specific one you would suggest? I have a 2016 SX 192 and would like to add the blow off valve and maybe a bigger wheel

Looking at also grabbing an SVHo intercooler
I went with the 50mm no name BOV from fizzlefactory.com. If you want more info go read a thread called "listen up SVHO owners"

SimonsJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
How did your Solas YV-TP-12/18 twin impeller work on your AR195? I have a 2020 and I can't get out of the hole without horrible cavitation. If I walk the throttle up really slow, right on the edge of cavitation, I can get 0-30 in about 12 seconds. Top speed for me is only about 38 mph. I'm operating in Colorado, mostly at 5200' of elevation, but sometimes 8800'. The boat can't get out of its own way and is practically unusable.

I've ordered up a YV-TP-12/18 and will give it a try, but I suspect I'll need to modify it to 12/16 to get my rpms up.

Has anyone else put a twin on the Yamaha SX19x, FSH19x or AR19x?

Thanks in advance!

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How did your Solas YV-TP-12/18 twin impeller work on your AR195? I have a 2020 and I can't get out of the hole without horrible cavitation. If I walk the throttle up really slow, right on the edge of cavitation, I can get 0-30 in about 12 seconds. Top speed for me is only about 38 mph. I'm operating in Colorado, mostly at 5200' of elevation, but sometimes 8800'. The boat can't get out of its own way and is practically unusable.

I've ordered up a YV-TP-12/18 and will give it a try, but I suspect I'll need to modify it to 12/16 to get my rpms up.

Has anyone else put a twin on the Yamaha SX19x, FSH19x or AR19x?

Thanks in advance!
I would suggest checking your impeller for any damage and its clearance between the impeller sleeve along with sealing your intake tunnel. When my impeller sleeve and impeller was out of spec it performed similar to as you described.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
should I get the YV-CD-13/18 or YV-CD-13/20 ?

have L13 cone with no spacers at the moment

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
should I get the YV-CD-13/18 ?

have L13 cone with no spacers at the moment
General consensus is that unless your boat is heavily modified you will see the best performance with the stock impeller.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
General consensus is that unless your boat is heavily modified you will see the best performance with the stock impeller.
thats strange... figured more aggressively pitched impeller meant faster hole shot? I want the hole shot and the top speed LoL