• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Testing the new wake booster

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good looking wave!

Okay, now for the negative part. I WANT to be excited about the WakeBooster, even though it doesn't fit my boat. I feel like I could make one if it were worth the squeeze. I just haven't seen anything where the booster is doing more than cleaning the face. Maybe I've missed it? For comparison, here's my 2013 212x, full swimdeck bag, 400lbs under port seat, and 800lbs in the ski locker, only me (the driver) on the boat, so it should be a similar setup to the video above, except I have the WakeWedge instead of the Wakebooster. I'm just struggling to see the "booster" part of the Wakebooster. It's obviously cleaning the face, which is great, but I don't see anything else. Am I wrong?
I have the same impression/feeling.
I have not seen a wave with the Booster that would match or even approach the depth of mine.
That said, I like how the Booster wave loojs flat-ish, it could be great for a change of pace.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Okay, now for the negative part. I WANT to be excited about the WakeBooster, even though it doesn't fit my boat. I feel like I could make one if it were worth the squeeze. I just haven't seen anything where the booster is doing more than cleaning the face. Maybe I've missed it? For comparison, here's my 2013 212x, full swimdeck bag, 400lbs under port seat, and 800lbs in the ski locker, only me (the driver) on the boat, so it should be a similar setup to the video above, except I have the WakeWedge instead of the Wakebooster. I'm just struggling to see the "booster" part of the Wakebooster. It's obviously cleaning the face, which is great, but I don't see anything else. Am I wrong?
Yeah I think you are mostly right. However, there is some boost. For instance, if you take the Wake Wedge alone and no ballast and you compare that to the WakeBooster with no ballast I think you will find that both clean the face but that the WakeBooster DOES "boost" the wake a bit. But that fact is kind of empty because none of us would be satisfied by that boost alone. To get any wake that is satisfying and allow ropeless wake to play around on you need ballast. For me when comparing the wakebooster to the wake wedge as a device that cleans the wake there was only a couple things that made me go with the wakebooster.
1. I was looking to get a new board and the slingshot coaster was of interest to me, so subtract the board and you are into the booster for about $500 about 1/2 the price of the universal WakeWedge.
2. It seemed to me that switching sides (which we do a lot of) was faster and easier with the WakeBooster than the WakeWedge (not sure how much faster really though)
3. My 212X is already bursting at the seams with all the stuff we need to store on it and the WakeBooster has a much smaller foot print for storage than the wake wedge.
4. I have seen success with centered ballast using the WakeBooster, this is important to a mix goofy/regular family where we can center the ballast and not have to reposition it every time.

But as far as producing a really nice wave, i haven't seen anything to top the WakeWedge and swim deck bag yet - that includes the WakeBooster. For me it was more about convenience and price point.

mike holdenrid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got out with the full kit... Yamaha 242 LS with full tank of gas, Gantlin Products @jcyamaharider swim deck ballast bag 1/2 full (350#), 600# under rear seat, 800# center locker with Yamaha Wake Booster + 3 guys on board. Started out goofy, then switched to regular - took about 10 minutes to empty the swim deck bag, transfer ballast from one under-seat to the other, and move the wake booster. Not bad! Great wave we could ski ropeless all day!
Good to see another LKN member on here and great info. We live in Cornelius and are normally in the wide cove by the sandbar that people call wakeboard alley. I just got my booster kit in yesterday...we will be out next weekend testing it out. Can't wait.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone want to comment on the Fastsac Custom Transom Ballast bag for the 242 - (should i buy it - and if I do - fill it up all the way or partially? - or it its worth it or anyone else recommend something else).
Already have one 800# center bag. Should I get any thing else for the rear seating storage areas (although the starboard side has the battery so I'm not sure I want or can put anything else in there.
thx in advance ( but so far - the Yamaha Wake wedge is great!)

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Anyone want to comment on the Fastsac Custom Transom Ballast bag for the 242 - (should i buy it - and if I do - fill it up all the way or partially? - or it its worth it or anyone else recommend something else).
Already have one 800# center bag. Should I get any thing else for the rear seating storage areas (although the starboard side has the battery so I'm not sure I want or can put anything else in there.
Buy it. Without it your wave isn't as good.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would strongly recommend the custom bag.

I have Wakemakers custom ballast and several extra bags, the Gatlin bag is just superior.

It needs filled to the max.

I even let the air out on top to get more water in, it should be filled hard and hang off slightly beyond the edge of the swim platform, pushed as far in the corner as possible (on the surf side). That corner of the lower swim platform needs to be under water by few inches.

I use a 12’ docking line to secure the bag - using the handles to tie of - triangulating off the tower and the tow hook.

If on the port side, need to watch the air intakes - under the wet compartment - make sure you do not smother that, just leave a gap between the bag and the vertical cushion, the air is sucked in under that vertical port side cushion.

That custom bag and just one more bag - 800 lbs bag in the ski locker, that’s it!

And then just move people around.

I keep the Wedge almost flat, I use two full turns of the turnbuckle only - from fully extended (flat out strait) - it works best that way, very small angle.

I have a habit of running the blower whenever I turn the engines off between the runs, otherwise they can be a bit stubborn to restart sometimes.

Hope this helps!

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I don’t have the benefit of being able to compare the Wake Wedge to the Booster. All I can say is that the difference between our wave with just ballast and then Ballast + Booster was HUGE based on our subjective opinion. We could see and feel a noticeable increase in wave size and overall quality of the wave.

That was just our experience and opinion.

After a couple more weeks of use, the ease of install/removal, storage, performance increase, and the fact that we actually love the Slingshot board makes the WakeBooster a huge win for our boat. Couldn’t be happier.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would strongly recommend the custom bag.

I have Wakemakers custom ballast and several extra bags, the Gatlin bag is just superior.

It needs filled to the max.

I even let the air out on top to get more water in, it should be filled hard and hang off slightly beyond the edge of the swim platform, pushed as far in the corner as possible (on the surf side). That corner of the lower swim platform needs to be under water by few inches.

I use a 12’ docking line to secure the bag - using the handles to tie of - triangulating off the tower and the tow hook.

If on the port side, need to watch the air intakes - under the wet compartment - make sure you do not smother that, just leave a gap between the bag and the vertical cushion, the air is sucked in under that vertical port side cushion.

That custom bag and just one more bag - 800 lbs bag in the ski locker, that’s it!

And then just move people around.

I keep the Wedge almost flat, I use two full turns of the turnbuckle only - from fully extended (flat out strait) - it works best that way, very small angle.

I have a habit of running the blower whenever I turn the engines off between the runs, otherwise they can be a bit stubborn to restart sometimes.

Hope this helps!

This is great information. Much appreciated. Just need to determine next time how far do i fill up the custom swim deck bag - as i hear filling it too much pushes the deck below the waterline - which actually works against the Yamahas WakeBooster. I’ll also note the port air vent. Look forward to trying this again later this month !

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good to see another LKN member on here and great info. We live in Cornelius and are normally in the wide cove by the sandbar that people call wakeboard alley. I just got my booster kit in yesterday...we will be out next weekend testing it out. Can't wait.
How did the wake booster testing go this weekend? I'm in Denver near Governor's Island. We'll look for you next time we cruise by the sandbar!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is great information. Much appreciated. Just need to determine next time how far do i fill up the custom swim deck bag - as i hear filling it too much pushes the deck below the waterline - which actually works against the Yamahas WakeBooster. I’ll also note the port air vent. Look forward to trying this again later this month !
This is actually false info. I had the pleasure of helping @BigAbe75 test out his Wake booster this weekend. We filled the 24ft Custom transom bag ( full ) and then the center locker bag, I was also on the slingshot board provided. The wave defiantly has push and it needs ballast. We were getting alot of wash until we hit the magic speed number, then the wash ( most of it ) disappeared. It is a very surfable wave and the board is actually a Cadillac. With all three fins it is stuck. I wish it had a heel pad.

Some difference between the Wake Wedge and the booster:

The transition from behind the boat to the back of the wave is more gradual on the booster

There is still wash that comes over the board when you get farther back in the pocket with the booster

Other then that it is a solid piece. I still prefer the Wake Wedge over the booster because the wave is still cleaner and I can leave it on all day long.

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the consensus here is that you want the surf side back corner submerged at least an inch or more to ensure you have enough displacement and list. I can say that the wake booster still helps a ton with the custom bag fully filled. Some action from Father's Day:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some difference between the Wake Wedge and the booster:

The transition from behind the boat to the back of the wave is more gradual on the booster

There is still wash that comes over the board when you get farther back in the pocket with the booster

Other then that it is a solid piece. I still prefer the Wake Wedge over the booster because the wave is still cleaner and I can leave it on all day long.
That makes sense, very good info. That's exactly what I got from the pictures with the Booster wave at its best looking more "skim" surfable.

--

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good news on the coaster! I have one on the way so I'm excited to get on it. I have a phase5 that I really like, but it's more surf style, so I'm looking forward to the coaster.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Jerry said the smile on Abe's face while he was driving was priceless :winkingthumbsup" So happy for him and can't wait to see him by the end of summer ! @BigAbe75 @jcyamaharider

350lb dude with real slack in the rope for the first time.... awesome day!!! I was smiling all night. Lol!

For any interested, I'm not riding the Coaster though. I have the Chaos Bamboo Ringer XXL.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is actually false info. I had the pleasure of helping @BigAbe75 test out his Wake booster this weekend. We filled the 24ft Custom transom bag ( full ) and then the center locker bag, I was also on the slingshot board provided. The wave defiantly has push and it needs ballast. We were getting alot of wash until we hit the magic speed number, then the wash ( most of it ) disappeared. It is a very surfable wave and the board is actually a Cadillac. With all three fins it is stuck. I wish it had a heel pad.
For sure, there is definitely an obvious magic speed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is. Lol . Once we hit it, the wave face cleaned right up and was beautiful. This coming weekend I'll try the wedge first and see how that compares. Then the following weekend (July 1) we'll do a little more testing with @jcyamaharider and will do direct swaps of the booster and wedge with identical ballast config and see what we get.

So annoying that the new 242X (maybe older ones too) do not show your speed in decimal. All you get is the whole number, so not sure when that number rolls over. Does it show 11 when you are actually between 10.6 and 11.5? Who knows? The other pain in the rear is that the pre-set speed isn't accurate on the profile settings. I set mine to 11 in the settings, and then was getting mad that I couldn't get past 9. Was complaining about cavitation and other possible symptoms and then I'm told "oh yeah, change your pre-set speed to 13.5 and see what that does." Grr!!

Can anyone recommend an iPhone app for a GPS Speedometer? I want to try that next. I can put the phone in the phone holder and just have that running to see how fast I'm actually going.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone recommend an iPhone app for a GPS Speedometer? I want to try that next. I can put the phone in the phone holder and just have that running to see how fast I'm actually going.
There is gazzilion of those, and they work very well.

(It would be kind of crazy to do it in an E-boat but... for the rest of us there is RideSteady!)

--