• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Testing the new wake booster

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
For sure, there is definitely an obvious magic speed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is. Lol . Once we hit it, the wave face cleaned right up and was beautiful. This coming weekend I'll try the wedge first and see how that compares. Then the following weekend (July 1) we'll do a little more testing with @jcyamaharider and will do direct swaps of the booster and wedge with identical ballast config and see what we get.

So annoying that the new 242X (maybe older ones too) do not show your speed in decimal. All you get is the whole number, so not sure when that number rolls over. Does it show 11 when you are actually between 10.6 and 11.5? Who knows? The other pain in the rear is that the pre-set speed isn't accurate on the profile settings. I set mine to 11 in the settings, and then was getting mad that I couldn't get past 9. Was complaining about cavitation and other possible symptoms and then I'm told "oh yeah, change your pre-set speed to 13.5 and see what that does." Grr!!

Can anyone recommend an iPhone app for a GPS Speedometer? I want to try that next. I can put the phone in the phone holder and just have that running to see how fast I'm actually going.
Huh, I can’t believe that. That’s like saying we offer cruise control on a vehicle but only in 5 mph increments. Hopefully Yamaha addresses this.

mike holdenrid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How did the wake booster testing go this weekend? I'm in Denver near Governor's Island. We'll look for you next time we cruise by the sandbar!
Sounds good. I’m in Hilton Head and still recovering from tearing my hamstring so I haven’t tested yet. Should be out Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
For sure, there is definitely an obvious magic speed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is. Lol . Once we hit it, the wave face cleaned right up and was beautiful. This coming weekend I'll try the wedge first and see how that compares. Then the following weekend (July 1) we'll do a little more testing with @jcyamaharider and will do direct swaps of the booster and wedge with identical ballast config and see what we get.

So annoying that the new 242X (maybe older ones too) do not show your speed in decimal. All you get is the whole number, so not sure when that number rolls over. Does it show 11 when you are actually between 10.6 and 11.5? Who knows? The other pain in the rear is that the pre-set speed isn't accurate on the profile settings. I set mine to 11 in the settings, and then was getting mad that I couldn't get past 9. Was complaining about cavitation and other possible symptoms and then I'm told "oh yeah, change your pre-set speed to 13.5 and see what that does." Grr!!

Can anyone recommend an iPhone app for a GPS Speedometer? I want to try that next. I can put the phone in the phone holder and just have that running to see how fast I'm actually going.
My 2016 242x has the "set speed" in decimals, but the main current speed readout does not. You may not have been on the right screen tab to see both what decimal set speed was set at along with the Main current speed readout... Hope this helps.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Huh, I can’t believe that. That’s like saying we offer cruise control on a vehicle but only in 5 mph increments. Hopefully Yamaha addresses this.
This isn't true! You can set the speed in 10th's...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2016 242x has the "set speed" in decimals, but the main current speed readout does not. You may not have been on the right screen tab to see both what decimal set speed was set at along with the Main current speed readout... Hope this helps.
Setting the speed, yes. In the profile settings you can program your desired speed... to the tenth. My problem is setting my profile to 11.0, when running the program, I was topping out at 6,000 rpm and the current speed was shown as 9 (no decimals). By using the No Wake Up button I am able to increase the set speed. Bumping that up to about 14 actually got me up to a current speed of 11 (still no decimals).

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Setting the speed, yes. In the profile settings you can program your desired speed... to the tenth. My problem is setting my profile to 11.0, when running the program, I was topping out at 6,000 rpm and the current speed was shown as 9 (no decimals). By using the No Wake Up button I am able to increase the set speed. Bumping that up to about 14 actually got me up to a current speed of 11 (still no decimals).
I have this same issue as well.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Wow, that's frustrating - you have to arbitrarily set the speed control to 14 to get it to maintain at 11? There's no fix for that? Seems like kind of a useless speed control system - no? If this was the case I think I'd ditch the OEM and install RideSteady.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Got it, mine isn't quite off by that much but I do get what you're saying. We just totally ignore the main speed read out and focus on the set speed that works best. Every time out favorite or best set speed is slightly different depending on the # of people & amount of Ballast and ballast configuration we happen to be using that day. Best set speed is even a little different between Goofy or standard side.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got it, mine isn't quite off by that much but I do get what you're saying. We just totally ignore the main speed read out and focus on the set speed that works best. Every time out favorite or best set speed is slightly different depending on the # of people & amount of Ballast and ballast configuration we happen to be using that day. Best set speed is even a little different between Goofy or standard side.
That is a good point. The absolute true number may not vary. As long as you can set and maintain a specific speed all should be good.

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm going to try a GPS speed app to test next time I'm out.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am always running navonics so I have the speed to a tenth on that screen.

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I downloaded Speed Tracker Lite. I haven't tested it out yet, but the display goes to the tenth decimal place.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The wakebooster instructional guide says not to exceed 15mph. Is that for wake surfing or overall operation of the boat. We typically cruise at 10pm for surfing, but when we are simply driving around - can I exceed 15mph wtihout damaging the boat or the wakebooster?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The wakebooster instructional guide says not to exceed 15mph. Is that for wake surfing or overall operation of the boat. We typically cruise at 10pm for surfing, but when we are simply driving around - can I exceed 15mph wtihout damaging the boat or the wakebooster?
No, I definitely would not. I'd always remove the wake booster before you start "driving around". I'm fairly sure this is intention of the warning.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The device is not meant to be left attached to the boat and should be removed after surfing.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hav
I have accidentally forgotten to remove mine twice now. It’s just something new and I have forgot about it when it’s time to head. Both times I could not even tell it was still attached. You would think speed and steering would have been affected, but I didn’t notice either one. I also checked for gelcoat cracks and have found none. I just wonder exactly how much water it is catching when on plane. Haven’t had a chance to mount go pro back there to see it when underway

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was reading through this thread and did not see the answer I was looking for, or I completely missed it one, so please forgive me. I have a 2018 212 Limited S. I have an option to get the wake booster at a great deal, but I don't have any ballast and want to know if the wave is enough for a 230lb rider to go rope less with out adding a deck bags or complete ballast system? Want to know if it is worth my time or I need to start looking at other options or boats? Thanks.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Beautiful, clean wave but not enough “push” for a 230lb man. I have 2017 212 Limited S and I cannot go ropeless without ballast bags. I am in the process of installing a ballast kit from WakeMAKERS

I weigh 230 myself. :)

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I was reading through this thread and did not see the answer I was looking for, or I completely missed it one, so please forgive me. I have a 2018 212 Limited S. I have an option to get the wake booster at a great deal, but I don't have any ballast and want to know if the wave is enough for a 230lb rider to go rope less with out adding a deck bags or complete ballast system? Want to know if it is worth my time or I need to start looking at other options or boats? Thanks.
I don't think we have seen anyone go ropeless with just the wakebooster and no ballast. We have see ropeless with the wakebooster and just stock ballast on 242x (not sure on the 212x). If you were talking 90lb kid maybe without ballast but at 230lbs I think its pretty much a given you will need ballast with any "wake shaper/wash deflector" device. For the 21' boats success around here is usually followed by at least a swim deck bag in the 600lb range and most add another 600lb-ish bag in the ski locker.