• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Testing the new wake booster

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just tried wake booster today on my 18 212x and got same thing surf side throttle want to come back also and won't stay did anyone find a fix for this yet and I was able to go ropeles yet what is everyone putting stock ballast at with no extra ballast on rear deck
I wait a call from my dealer. He sent my video to Yamaha. I have this problem since last year with a 800 pounds ballast on the transom.
Last year Yamaha told me everything was okay and I Always think it was a bad setting from me but with a big doubt.
But since a bought the Wake Booster by Yamaha the problem is not from my side.

Here my problem:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wait a call from my dealer. He sent my video to Yamaha. I have this problem since last year with a 800 pounds ballast on the transom.
Last year Yamaha told me everything was okay and I Always think it was a bad setting from me but with a big doubt.
But since a bought the Wake Booster by Yamaha the problem is not from my side.

Here my problem:
Yeah this is not normal.
Does this happen with their Booster only? If that’s the case I would wonder if this is a 21ft booster issue, those are newer and different design. Either way the boat is under warranty and this is an OEM part, they should fix it.

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah this is not normal.
Does this happen with their Booster only? If that’s the case I would wonder if this is a 21ft booster issue, those are newer and different design. Either way the boat is under warranty and this is an OEM part, they should fix it.

Yea only when booster is on dealer told me to tighten up throttle it did help alot. Is anyone surfing on 212x topless with just stock ballast and wake booster???

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used the Booster on our 242X some over the last 2 weeks. It definitely pulls the water around.

My personal feeling is that it works great for those getting started. It’s easy to put on, will pull some water around with stock ballast if you just want to play or give the kids a run (and can be obtained as a one stop kit). But, you’re still going to need ballast on the transom to see it really perform.

My negative is the same as the positive... it really pulls the water around. I don’t think I’ll use it much, because it creates enough drag that the engines feel sluggish to me. We struggled to get to speed and ended up unloading a little ballast from the ski locker.

When we switched to the Wake Wedge, all of a sudden the boat had plenty of power again.

The wake was a bit different shape between the Wedge and Booster. @jcyamaharider was there and can better explain the wave dynamics. Seemed like one had a bit smoother lip and had a bit longer pocket, maybe.

We had a couple videos from Father’s Day weekend, and showed my first outing getting some real slack in the rope (from a distance). Those were using the Booster. Alternatively, @jcyamahariders wife posted a few pics and video from last weekend which were taken on the same boat and ballast config using the Wedge.

I’ll see if I can combine some of those pics here... but might have to wait until I get to a computer.

Anyway, between those 2 options the Wake Wedge will see more use on my boat.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I used the Booster on our 242X some over the last 2 weeks. It definitely pulls the water around.

My personal feeling is that it works great for those getting started. It’s easy to put on, will pull some water around with stock ballast if you just want to play or give the kids a run (and can be obtained as a one stop kit). But, you’re still going to need ballast on the transom to see it really perform.

My negative is the same as the positive... it really pulls the water around. I don’t think I’ll use it much, because it creates enough drag that the engines feel sluggish to me. We struggled to get to speed and ended up unloading a little ballast from the ski locker.

When we switched to the Wake Wedge, all of a sudden the boat had plenty of power again.

The wake was a bit different shape between the Wedge and Booster. @jcyamaharider was there and can better explain the wave dynamics. Seemed like one had a bit smoother lip and had a bit longer pocket, maybe.

We had a couple videos from Father’s Day weekend, and showed my first outing getting some real slack in the rope (from a distance). Those were using the Booster. Alternatively, @jcyamahariders wife posted a few pics and video from last weekend which were taken on the same boat and ballast config using the Wedge.

I’ll see if I can combine some of those pics here... but might have to wait until I get to a computer.

Was the testing done with the transom bag? Very interested as a 24’ maybe in my future...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Was the testing done with the transom bag? Very interested as a 24’ maybe in my future...
Yes, we had the transom bag full, plus ski locker full. And we had 50% in port bag when using the Booster. And 0% in port (but 200lb human on port seat) with the Wedge.

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha 212X with full ballast (1100lbs), one person driving, 750 and 150lbs FATSAC. The speed was around 10-11mph. I can feel the thrust, but think a board with more buoyancy will help. My daughter is able to surf ropeless every time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha 212X with full ballast (1100lbs), one person driving, 750 and 150lbs FATSAC. The speed was around 10-11mph. I can feel the thrust, but think a board with more buoyancy will help. My daughter is able to surf ropeless every time.
@Onserve212X which board are you using? is it the 5' or 5'3" Yamaha /slingshot?

--

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks! I'm trying to figure out if it would be a worthwhile cost to buy this with no ballast, or even just the swim deck bag. I have zero inclination to add ballast to the lockers, we carry entirely too much crap anyway, can't give up storage!
Same thought. I have a 212 Ltsd and surfed today ropeless no ballast or wake wedge / booster. I’d like maybe swim deck ballast and wake booster and want to know if it’s worth the cost

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski, that would be the 5'3" Coaster that comes with the Booster.

Try moving your back foot and front foot forward on the board just one or two inches and you might be surprised. Not so far that to nose dive, but you'll find a little more gas by moving forward. Also move one or two feet closer to the boat a little more into the center of the pocket.

Last tip - For whatever reason, even if it feels like you don't have constant slack just try throwing the rope anyway. There's this crazy phenomenon that I've seen happen a number of times... as soon as the surfer throws the rope the suddenly surf better. It just happens... try it. That board does crazy things... I rode the smaller 5'0" version on a non existant wake.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

So, as far as I know this is THE most definitive post on the Wake Wedge vs Yamaha Booster comparison, anywhere.

So well done.
Let us know if you have any updates!

I’m ready to put this to rest as I start on my new ballast upgrade project.

I’m keeping my WW, but you never know what can happen with some magic tricks, ballast configuration, or speed with the Booster. Wouldn’t want to miss out!!

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time today on lake w/ Custom Yamaha FatSac on swim platform (850lbs), Yamaha wake booster, and wife/3 little kids in the boat. The boat seemed to be working hard and with almost full power could NOT plane or go faster than 15mph. Not that I want to go faster when surfing — was curious given the load this seemed to have on the boat. Noticed a steam/smoke from back as well. 2018 AR240 w/ 50hrs. Thoughts?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time today on lake w/ Custom Yamaha FatSac on swim platform (850lbs), Yamaha wake booster, and wife/3 little kids in the boat. The boat seemed to be working hard and with almost full power could NOT plane or go faster than 15mph. Not that I want to go faster when surfing — was curious given the load this seemed to have on the boat. Noticed a steam/smoke from back as well. 2018 AR240 w/ 50hrs. Thoughts?
15mph is too fast, 10-11 would be more conventional for surfing. I don;t know if I ever tried transom bag only with no ski locker, that could be the issue, perhaps? Was your swim platform under water? how far?
It could also be a combination of being extremely transom heavy (with no ski locker ballast to counter that) and the Booster - there were repors of the booster holding the boat back..?

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm assuming in a boat that new cavitation should not be an issue, but who knows, some have had the pumps cavitate or be misaligned from factory. May not be apparent in normal use but with a lot of ballast, and the booster, it may be an issue.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The engines will definitely be working harder with the amount of ballast the custom bag adds to the platform. It takes a significant amount more in thre ski locker to counter it and bring the nose down. If you haven't added any ballast to your ski locker yet, I'd recommend attempting again without completely filling the bag. I'd say if you can reach 15mph that's a good thing. Your boat is obviously still pushing past surf speed. I doubt I could reach that with the full transom and ski locker bags...

As for the smoke you're seeing at the back if the boat. The exhaust ports are located under the swim deck facing the jet nozzles on both sides. With the swim deck ballasted down it will bubble up from the behind the swim platform.

One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned in this thread, is that the lowered swim deck also seems to make the ballasted side engine more difficult to start. Likely the cause if increased back pressure. We tend to avoid shutting down the engines during or surf sessions as much as possible.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned in this thread, is that the lowered swim deck also seems to make the ballasted side engine more difficult to start. Likely the cause if increased back pressure. We tend to avoid shutting down the engines during or surf sessions as much as possible.
True. Two things I find consistently helpful is to high idle before turning the engines off and put throttle binnacles smack in the neutral position, then also run the blower while stoped with the engines off.
Okay, that’s three things. But those help!

If still no luck restarting the surf side engine, I leave it off and start going with the other trying to go as fast as possible and turning away, that pulls that side up a bit and makes the start work easy.

Of course I can cheat with my trim tabs, and pull hard on one engine with the l13s, but even without any mods that trick makes it 100% effective for hard starts.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True. Two things I find consistently helpful is to high idle before turning the engines off and put throttle binnacles smack in the neutral position, then also run the blower while stoped with the engines off.
Okay, that’s three things. But those help!

If still no luck restarting the surf side engine, I leave it off and start going with the other trying to go as fast as possible and turning away, that pulls that side up a bit and makes the start work easy.

Of course I can cheat with my trim tabs, and pull hard on one engine with the l13s, but even without any mods that trick makes it 100% effective for hard starts.

Great tips. The high idle is one I've not tried. The one engine drive away I can vouch for.

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski, that would be the 5'3" Coaster that comes with the Booster.

Try moving your back foot and front foot forward on the board just one or two inches and you might be surprised. Not so far that to nose dive, but you'll find a little more gas by moving forward. Also move one or two feet closer to the boat a little more into the center of the pocket.

Last tip - For whatever reason, even if it feels like you don't have constant slack just try throwing the rope anyway. There's this crazy phenomenon that I've seen happen a number of times... as soon as the surfer throws the rope the suddenly surf better. It just happens... try it. That board does crazy things... I rode the smaller 5'0" version on a non existant wake.
Thanks for the advise. I will try your recommendations this weekend.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the advise. I will try your recommendations this weekend.
I hope some of it helps. Have a great weekend and report back. I hope I can make it out, weather's been a bit iffy here.