• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Testing the new wake booster

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well crap! Guess it's new boat or ballast system.
I don't think we have seen anyone go ropeless with just the wakebooster and no ballast. We have see ropeless with the wakebooster and just stock ballast on 242x (not sure on the 212x). If you were talking 90lb kid maybe without ballast but at 230lbs I think its pretty much a given you will need ballast with any "wake shaper/wash deflector" device. For the 21' boats success around here is usually followed by at least a swim deck bag in the 600lb range and most add another 600lb-ish bag in the ski locker.

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Beautiful, clean wave but not enough “push” for a 230lb man. I have 2017 212 Limited S and I cannot go ropeless without ballast bags. I am in the process of installing a ballast kit from WakeMAKERS

I weigh 230 myself. :)
I will look at the wake makers kit right now.

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great post, we saw similar results. The game changed when we added the custom 750 lbs Fatsac on the surf side deck. The stock 1100 lbs ballast (center and rear) were full, and one adult sitting in the back on the surf side. It validates that weight is a must for any surf.

YouTube WakeBooster Test

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Setting the speed, yes. In the profile settings you can program your desired speed... to the tenth. My problem is setting my profile to 11.0, when running the program, I was topping out at 6,000 rpm and the current speed was shown as 9 (no decimals). By using the No Wake Up button I am able to increase the set speed. Bumping that up to about 14 actually got me up to a current speed of 11 (still no decimals).
Yes the no wake / cruise up or down on the joystick knob is the key but I think it only allows 5mph swing . Some type of programming is limiting the speed it must be tied to the rpm. Simple work around change the set speed higher I think a separate post on the Connext operations for speed control would be helpful. Its not the easiest interface to menuever through. Testing today I want to set the speed at 16 with ballast loaded to see the max flexibility of the cruise buttons with it set at 16 in me settle in at 13 then hopefully the cruise could drop it to 11 .The rpm is definitely tied in that is how the slow medium and fast settings work for the individual pre sets . This is for the 2016 to 17 e series

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just ordered the Gantlin Fastsac Transom bag for my 242. Any recommendations on the rope(s) and who to tie it down safely (will instructions come with the product when I receive it?) - what do you guys do?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered the Gantlin Fastsac Transom bag for my 242. Any recommendations on the rope(s) and who to tie it down safely (will instructions come with the product when I receive it?) - what do you guys do?
Practice with air filled bag really helps. And we tend to push the bag out, almost hanging off the platform, more leverage that way.

We tie off of the tow hook and the tower leg. You know, because when we roll that stern on the surf side can be under water, lol. :cool:

--

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got my Wake booster 3 weeks ago. The differrence is incredible.
My perfect setup with 1 adult and one kid in the boat is: 800 pounds ballast on the transom (surf side) 100% rear balast(500 pounds) and 25% center balast. My wake is around 3 fts high with a lot of push. Can surf everytime without rope very easy.

Now the bad part:
I Feel a lot of vibrations in the surf side throttle lever.
The levers push back to neutral by itself. I need to keep a hand on handles and it still hard to keep in place.
I tried to fine tune the levers( screws adjudtment in the botom of the throttle handle) without effect.

Did someone know how i can solve my problem?

P.s. I have a 2018 212X

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my Wake booster 3 weeks ago. The differrence is incredible.
My perfect setup with 1 adult and one kid in the boat is: 800 pounds ballast on the transom (surf side) 100% rear balast(500 pounds) and 25% center balast. My wake is around 3 fts high with a lot of push. Can surf everytime without rope very easy.

Now the bad part:
I Feel a lot of vibrations in the surf side throttle lever.
The levers push back to neutral by itself. I need to keep a hand on handles and it still hard to keep in place.
I tried to fine tune the levers( screws adjudtment in the botom of the throttle handle) without effect.

Did someone know how i can solve my problem?

P.s. I have a 2018 212X
Those are great surf results!
But very strange with the throttles... Does it also do it when not running with the Wake Booster?

--

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those are great surf results!
But very strange with the throttles... Does it also do it when not running with the Wake Booster?

--
I feel a vibration on my left shifter but Nothing to push back the throttle down.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wake booster stream must be pushing on the reverse bucket trying to force it down
Same as the scupper valve blocker,
Maybe nect time have you surfer watch the stream or stick a go pro off your deck to view it

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wake booster stream must be pushing on the reverse bucket trying to force it down
That's exactly what I'm thinking.
I did not think it would be so pronounced, but that is something I would watch. And make sure the steering linkages and nice and tight, sounds like this thing can rattle things out in a hurry.

Makes me wonder...
1. In the battle of surf game, will Gatlin Wake Wedge be the last man standing? lol
2. Given Wake Booster fits along with the trim tabs, would trim tabs be somewhat protective (while fully retracted up) - by deflecting some of the force under the hull? @Stevenpigsooie might be able to answer that!

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I feel a vibration on my left shifter but Nothing to push back the throttle down.
If you had vibration before the wake booster then it is likely your reverse bucket needs adjusting - the wake booster may just be exaggerating a problem that already existed. We don’t have any different feeling in the throttles with the wake booster installed on our 2017 212x

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski , man, it does seem that the king still reigns supreme. It's just that the wedge seems so unwieldy. Are there any videos of how to put it on and off?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you had vibration before the wake booster then it is likely your reverse bucket needs adjusting - the wake booster may just be exaggerating a problem that already existed. We don’t have any different feeling in the throttles with the wake booster installed on our 2017 212x
Right, @Philippe's report is the first on that. My thinking is his (apparently) loos-goosey steering might serve as a "sentinel report" of sorts.
Beating on the linkages is not part of the equation as far as the factory design, so just something to watch.

Come to think of it, pumps and all linkages are designed to ride over the water surface on plane.
fullsizeoutput_1f6f.jpeg

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski , man, it does seem that the king still reigns supreme. It's just that the wedge seems so unwieldy. Are there any videos of how to put it on and off?
Oh yeah, his web site has all the info and he posted vids as well.
If you can do it on the trailer, it's easy. Or floating behind the platform.

We leave ours hanging out there for days at the time, just open it completely flat with the turnbuckle.
But we have the crew that's all regular.
(well, 4 of us naturally and the other one... per the captain's special edict, lol (she is also the youngest, lol).

--

Last edited:

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks you all gang for your help. When the thing will be ok i will send you a pics of my wave!

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's exactly what I'm thinking.
I did not think it would be so pronounced, but that is something I would watch. And make sure the steering linkages and nice and tight, sounds like this thing can rattle things out in a hurry.

Makes me wonder...
1. In the battle of surf game, will Gatlin Wake Wedge be the last man standing? lol
2. Given Wake Booster fits along with the trim tabs, would trim tabs be somewhat protective (while fully retracted up) - by deflecting some of the force under the hull? @Stevenpigsooie might be able to answer that!

--
I’ll try to watch for that this weekend. The wakebooster is a game changer for us surfing both sides. It’s easy to install and actually works. I was skeptical considering Yamaha’s previous surfepoint marketing but this is the real deal. If you see my other post from last week’s surf setup, the push it gave was as good as my buddies Mastercraft.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll try to watch for that this weekend. The wakebooster is a game changer for us surfing both sides. It’s easy to install and actually works. I was skeptical considering Yamaha’s previous surfepoint marketing but this is the real deal. If you see my other post from last week’s surf setup, the push it gave was as good as my buddies Mastercraft.
I’ve been thinking about that! Your wake pic is insane.

I’m really wondering if the slanted surface of the (fully retracted) trim tabs actually helps here.

Well, only way to find out! :cool:

I still want to make sure the Booster fits with my setup, albeit basically pretty identical to yours so I’m thinking that’s likely.

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been thinking about that! Your wake pic is insane.

I’m really wondering if the slanted surface of the (fully retracted) trim tabs actually helps here.

Well, only way to find out! :cool:

I still want to make sure the Booster fits with my setup, albeit basically pretty identical to yours so I’m thinking that’s likely.

I just tried wake booster today on my 18 212x and got same thing surf side throttle want to come back also and won't stay did anyone find a fix for this yet and I was able to go ropeles yet what is everyone putting stock ballast at with no extra ballast on rear deck