• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Testing the new wake booster

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had great success with the Wakebooster and think it is worth the money - it allowed me to gt rid of the extra fatsac ballast bag which is a pain to deal with - we now can surf with stock ballast an the Wakebooster - see my thread herre: https://jetboaters.net/threads/wakebooster.22193/post-393396
Nice wave and great info!

However, let's see a 200+ pounder w/ beginner skills go ropeless (for as long as they want), lol.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Moving my foot forward made a big difference. I was able to surf ropeless all morning. Thanks for the advise!
LOVE IT man! I got a huge smile on my face watching your video and laughed when you threw your arms up in victory.🏆 That ropeless ride is exhilarating and liberating... enjoy! You'll find it easier and easier every time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mike holdenrid have you attempted it with just 50% full ski locker @ 10-11mph?

mike holdenrid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@mike holdenrid have you attempted it with just 50% full ski locker @ 10-11mph?
I haven't tried the 50% ski locker...should I? We had a munch better wave on Friday with two more adults in the back and a much smoother lake.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't tried the 50% ski locker...should I? We had a munch better wave on Friday with two more adults in the back and a much smoother lake.
I think running light on passengers it would help pitch the boats center of gravity to the back corner. That back surfside corner seems to be the sweet spot for weight. I suggest starting with 50% and bleeding off more from the ski locker I'd you're still not getting it.

Secondly, if the wake is looking good and you still find yourself fading out the back of the wave, try moving both feet just 1-2 more inches closer to the front if the board and you'll find the gas pedal.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You "ropeless freaks" really have me working at it! Trying hard to get the perfect setup. This was with Wake booster, port ballast at 100%, two adults on port side, me at the helm. Nice curl but not enough wave mass to make dropping the rope possible. Surfer is my 15 year old, 6'2" and 230#. Any suggestions??

Attachments

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You "ropeless freaks" really have me working at it! Trying hard to get the perfect setup. This was with Wake booster, port ballast at 100%, two adults on port side, me at the helm. Nice curl but not enough wave mass to make dropping the rope possible. Surfer is my 15 year old, 6'2" and 230#. Any suggestions??
That’s a nice curl! What speed were you going? Did you have the center locker full as well? Without the transom bag, I’d put at least one of the adults on the surf side swim platform if not both. You need displacement and list on these boats. Also if you’re going more that 12 mph the surfer won’t be able to keep up.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That’s a nice curl! What speed were you going? Did you have the center locker full as well? Without the transom bag, I’d put at least one of the adults on the surf side swim platform if not both. You need displacement and list on these boats. Also if you’re going more that 12 mph the surfer won’t be able to keep up.
Both adults were on the surf side, but not on the platform. I will have to have them go further aft next time. I believe the system is set at 11.5mph. Would you suggest taking it down a bit?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both adults were on the surf side, but not on the platform. I will have to have them go further aft next time. I believe the system is set at 11.5mph. Would you suggest taking it down a bit?
I surf closer to 10.5mph

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the consensus for the folks here having the best results is 10.7 (ish). That’s what I’ve found. It really depends on the weight distribution. Faster makes the wave longer and better curl. Slower gives more push but dirty and small wave. Definitely try to work on moving ballast to get to where the surf side corner of the swim deck is under water before you start. If you get that, you’ll have a ropeless wave!

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We had the stock rear and center ballast full (1,100lbs), custom 750lbs ballast on surf side, and a 150lbs bag in the boat with only one person driving. The boat leans to the surf side and the bow is raised causing the stern to dig in, causing a beautiful wake. Our speed is roughly 10-11mph. We had our best wake yet this weekend and will post the video shortly.

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is a video from this weekend using our camera capturing the speed of the boat. We had five people and stock ballast full (1100 lbs) on the 212X. The 750 lbs FatSac was full and on the same side of the WakeBooster. The wake looked awesome! The throttles were maxed and the bow was raised high. We shifted two people from the stern to the bow, which provided relief on the engines and lowered the bow. I should‘ve emptied the the stock rear ballast (with the touch of a button), but this was a test to find the perfect wake. The water was slightly choppy, but my daughter did great. Stock, custom, and human ballast was around 2,800 lbs.

Last edited:

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions. We will keep working on it!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a video from this weekend using our camera capturing the speed of the boat. We had five people and stock ballast full (1100 lbs) on the 212X. The 750 lbs FatSac was full and on the same side of the WakeBooster. The wake looked awesome! The throttles were maxed and was was raised high, so we shifted two people to the back, which provided relief on the engines and lowered the bow. I probably should have emptied the the stock rear ballast (with the touch of a button), but this was a test to find the perfect wake. The water was a little choppy on the lake, but she did great.
Nice wake!
I must say maxing out the throttles surprises me a bit, it must be the pull by the WakeBooster?
Do you ever experience throttle drop like some others reported?

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The throttles were maxed and was was raised high, so we shifted two people to the back, which provided relief on the engines and lowered the bow.
You shifted two to the back and it lowered the bow? Or two from the back?

I actually filled a 400lb sac to about 350 in the bow, so that folks could sit in the back.

Last edited:

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a video from this weekend using our camera capturing the speed of the boat. We had five people and stock ballast full (1100 lbs) on the 212X. The 750 lbs FatSac was full and on the same side of the WakeBooster. The wake looked awesome! The throttles were maxed and was was raised high, so we shifted two people to the back, which provided relief on the engines and lowered the bow. I probably should have emptied the the stock rear ballast (with the touch of a button), but this was a test to find the perfect wake. The water was a little choppy on the lake, but she did great.
That definitely looks like a great wave and speed seemed right on at 10.5-11.0MPH.. As others have noted having all the factory ballast may actually be too much - especially with 5 people on board. I'd suggest trying just the transom bag full and the center locker full, then fine tune if needed with the under seat bags. Generally having too much weight in the back will cause cavitation and max out your motors. Shifting some weigh to the front will even things out and help with additional forward displacement, making the wave bigger.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Heading out this evening to test some of the suggestions...