• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Texas registered boats, register engines?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have moved back to San Antonio area, TX, filling out my TPWD forms and it has a section to enter engine serial numbers for outboard and inboard engines. I don’t remember doing this when we lived here before, so wondering if I fill that out or does it stay blank?
I actually called an office today and the lady didn’t know either, I just don’t Want to mess the form up and have to do it again since my OK registration ends this month.

Thanks!

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I registered our 2008 AR230 somewhat recently after purchasing it and I did not have to include the SN for either motor, only the hull ID. You can always set an appointment (I did) and it takes less than 15 minutes to complete getting registered in person. Take pictures of the hull plate and the motor SN's to take with you just in case, I did that as well.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, you have to provide each serial number. I suggest you take a picture of each and print it out and have it with your paperwork. Do the same with your hull number.
By the way, you will probably have to have your boat/trailer weighed on CAT scales and deduct the boat weight to prove your trailer weight. I just went through this.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The boat registration process is separate from the trailer registration process. They go to different departments. Welcome to Texas.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat registration process is separate from the trailer registration process. They go to different departments. Welcome to Texas.
Yep. TPW and DMV. Used to be a separate TPW offices but now you can do both at county tax office, at least in RW county. I don't believe I have two engine serial numbers on my registration/title. I think that might be for outboard motor.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
And another item to consider, @Wayloncle
Getting a TX drivers license is about a 2 month wait. Sign up online and get an appointment now. I am still waiting on my appointment so I can then go pick up my new pistol.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting a TX drivers license is about a 2 month wait. Sign up online and get an appointment now. I am still waiting on my appointment so I can then go pick up my new pistol.
I still had my TX drivers license from when we lived here before, after seeing the mess of trying to get my son’s learner permit changed from OK to TX and my wife having to schedule an appt 5 weeks out at an office over an hour out of SA, she still had a FL DL, I got online and renewed mine😁 mine and my son’s came in the mail much quicker than I expected.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, you have to provide each serial number. I suggest you take a picture of each and print it out and have it with your paperwork. Do the same with your hull number.
By the way, you will probably have to have your boat/trailer weighed on CAT scales and deduct the boat weight to prove your trailer weight. I just went through this.
I am dreading the trailer registering, I already have the inspection done, but I bought this trailer new when I was in OK, it came from FL, OK doesn’t title or register boat trailers. So I am just expecting it to be a mess, this whole move has been a wreck so a mess with this will not surprise me😁

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought an old utility trailer from a farmer a long time ago, it didn't have a title or registration since it was on the farm, when I got to the tax office they listed it as "shop built" and just made up a vin for it, I would guess if you still have your original receipt from purchase and your new inspection record it shouldn't be to painful,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checked my tx title and it does list both engine numbers in addition to the main entry of the hull #

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This is common in many states. A boat is typically registered in a Department of Natural Resources and the trailer in a Department of Motor Vehicles.

Jim

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you move to TX?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If referring to me, yes. For many years I have planning on moving to either Tennessee or Texas. Kids and grandkids are in Tx so it was an easy decision.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, sorry, Jim, I did mean you. We met several years ago at Shelbyville. I recalled you were Chicagoland / Fox Chain O Lakes area family. Congratulations on the TX move, great that you can be near your kids and their kids.