• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Perfect Pass Thread

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wired off ignition power and I don't have the problems people are talking about with no wake mode. Tested it a few times now and every time the same result.
yea, the insert in the perfect pass instructions said to tap into the red and yellow wire at the ignition, after it warns not to use power from the ignition.... I did that but its not a hot wire. I ended up tapping into the 12 volt power outlet just to get the thing powered on and tested. I don't want to leave it like that.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@sstegh I guess I got lucky with my purple & black choice. I spliced the 2 closest wires to speedometer on the left side tach. The insert that came with my boat said to use "any purple & black wire" and said not to use ignition wire for power but said that was for 2012 models only? It was all very confusing especially with all comments on here as to how it was done, all with mixed results.

I was concerned at first as when I turned the key, I got nothing. But once engine cranked the perfect pass can on. Like the tachs, it stays on for few seconds once engines are turned off. Hopefully I can get out on the water for a true test this weekend.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's exactly how I want this to work, turn on and off with the tachs. I guess I'll just have to poke holes in all these wires until I find the right one and tape them up when I'm done. That sucks but it is what it is.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's exactly how I want this to work, turn on and off with the tachs. I guess I'll just have to poke holes in all these wires until I find the right one and tape them up when I'm done. That sucks but it is what it is.
The key switched power is Purple. You can find it at the back of a tachometer. It also runs from the key switches. The negative is black. You can use multi stack connectors to use power and ground from the tachometer http://www.reddenmarine.com/ancor-230612-multi-stack-connectors-16-14-3-pack.html

There is no need to poke holes in wires. Just unplug them and touch your multimeter to the connector.

This is the multi stack connector. I bet they have other names as well

image.jpg

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @Bruce, I'll check out the purple wire on the tach first. You may have just saved me a lot of time and frustration!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wired off ignition power and I don't have the problems people are talking about with no wake mode. Tested it a few times now and every time the same result.
x2

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The key switched power is Purple. You can find it at the back of a tachometer. It also runs from the key switches. The negative is black. You can use multi stack connectors to use power and ground from the tachometer http://www.reddenmarine.com/ancor-230612-multi-stack-connectors-16-14-3-pack.html

There is no need to poke holes in wires. Just unplug them and touch your multimeter to the connector.

This is the multi stack connector. I bet they have other names as well

View attachment 21045
Purple wire for me..on off with key and no other problems.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The key switched power is Purple. You can find it at the back of a tachometer. It also runs from the key switches
stopped by the storage lot to check this out on the way home from work. No go on the purple wire at the tach. Also, no purple wires at the ignition. I'll have to go hunting tomorrow... :(

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your boat must use a different color scheme?

There will be a key switched power wire that runs from the key switch to all of the key switched accessories. The depth gauge would be another place to find it.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your boat must use a different color scheme?

There will be a key switched power wire that runs from the key switch to all of the key switched accessories. The depth gauge would be another place to find it.
My depth guage is built into the tach.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@sstegh are the wires in the dash labeled with white ink? Mine actually said "ground" in white ink on the black wires and "power" (if I remember correctly) on the purple wires. I can't imagine my boat is special in that regard.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@sstegh are the wires in the dash labeled with white ink? Mine actually said "ground" in white ink on the black wires and "power" (if I remember correctly) on the purple wires. I can't imagine my boat is special in that regard.
Nope, nothing written on the wires that I can see. all the wires run to harnesses that are marked "prt" or "stb" for the two engines but thats it. there are a crap load of wires back there. I did find 2 wires (red) in the tach that are 12 volt but don't go dead when the tach does. I'll start testing the ignition wires tomorrow. I know something back there will work, I just haven't found it yet.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Found one at the ignition this morning! :D after I got that going I took it out on the water to test. Works perfectly. Kind of freaked me out the first time perfect pass took over, I didn't realize it was active. Anchored in a cove to sit in the sun for a few hours, did some fishing and got a good start on my spring sunburn. The boat is ready for summer! :winkingthumbsup"

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Got to play with my PP yesterday some as well. Worked great. I did change the KDW to a lower number when I was initially having trouble getting it to stay around 10mph. I think it was user error though. I just wasn't throttling far enough and letting the PP do it's magic. So next time out I'll try at the default 90 value and see if it was really me or if it likes the lower setting with my boat. I must say, this thing is the cats A**. The wife wouldn't try it out, but she has to learn soon as a few warm weeks and that water temp will be right :)

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Without anyone on a board and just the family in the boat a kdw of 35 worked perfect for me to maintain speed within .5MPH +- my set speed.

I am sure we will have to crank that up for 55-60 with the added resistance of a boarder.

leatherneck33

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Started my install tonight and thought I would share how I ran the servo cable. Pull the cubby storage out in front of the throttles. Using a kids fishing pole (Dowel rod would work) , tape the servo wire to the end and push it forward from starboard compartment below the seat to the hole where the cubby was. Un-tape the cable, pull the rod out, then reattach the cable to the rod. Push the rod through the cubby hole into the helm storage compartment, un-tape from the rod and pull the cable. Only took a few minutes by myself.

I got the speedo installed and servo cable pulled tonight. Hope to finish later this week.

leatherneck33

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perfect Pass project has been completed and tested. Well worth the cost and effort.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats! I've tested mine although I havent had the chance to use it for actual wakeboarding... I'll take care of that over memorial day.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OK so I finally hooked up the hose to try out the PP system... And I must have done something wrong... When it does it's auto tighten it basically cranks it all the way till it has no more room to go, and revs my engines to like 5 grand... Any adjustment I do it still goes all the way to the max and cranks my throttles up. What the heck have I done wrong?