• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a new Ranger, thoughts

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem with the Gladiator that I see, is it doesn’t really fill a need. In order to be successful in today’s vehicle market, the thing has to have a need. Guys that NEED a truck, don’t want it. Tiny bed, lackluster towing, it’s a mid size truck the top comes off of. Guys that want a Jeep, get a Wrangler. The short wheelbase, removable top, off road capability, etc. So in my mind the Gladiator is too small to be a “tool”, too big to be a real off road Jeep. Now, there is a small segment, already Jeep guys (or would like to have one) but need the utility of a bed. This is the niche market for the Gladiator, but unfortunately once the novelty wears off niche cars and trucks go away. Think Chevy SST, Ford Lightning, those Nissan Murano Convertible things, etc. The big reason most small/mid size pickups die off is because once it’s no longer cheaper than a full size to buy and operate, there’s no reason not to buy a full size pickup. Dont get me wrong, I think it’s cool. Cool idea, kinda well executed (the proportions look a bit funny to me, it almost looks too long and narrow) and it’s probably more capable off road than most pickups. But most pickups don’t go off road too much, unless you’re a farmer or tradesman getting a job done.
I'm gonna disagree with this one (as if someone asked me anyway :D :D).

Jeeps, and I'm talking wranglers here, are far and away more often a style choice than a usefulness/need filling choice. People buy them because they want a convertible SUV. A very small portion use them off road to even a 1/10th of their capability, and the pretty much suck at the remainder of what they do.....except look cool. They don't get great fuel mileage, the don't ride nice, they aren't quiet inside, they usually don't have the latest tech attached to them, about the only thing left is style.

Gladiator will do fine so long as Jeep didn't over anticipate the market (like the SSR, Murano convert, etc). Compared to those other companies they are already relatively small, and already prepared to serve a niche crowd. If anyone can pull off a vehicle that doesn't fill a need (and isn't an exotic) it's Jeep.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most trailer tires for my size also have a max speed in the 70s (70-75mph). Some I saw had a max of 80, but I'd sure as hell not wanna tow at the max with the heat in the summer anywhere in the desert or deep south. I'm the same way, 70mph is my max and I'll hang in the slow lane all day long.
I'm not sure what mine were max rated at in terms of speed. I'll have to look when I get home tonight.

We had a couple 2.5hr stints at 70-75mph and the bearings and tires remained somewhat cool to the touch. I didn't have my IR gun out, but they weren't hot enough to cause concern. I've melted a few bearings and blown a few tires, so I feel I have a decent read on that.

Still not really comfy towing over 70. If I'm on the expressway, and I'm towing the boat, that means I'm on "vacation time" and saving the few minutes time isn't worth it.....Just did a quick check.....I would have to drive from Louisville, KY to Key West, FL to save 60 minutes at 75mph compared to 70mph.....I'm gonna waste more time than that checking the bearings and straps on the boat, and chasing the 8yr old through the rest stop trying to convince him he doesn't need another candy bar so soon after the last one.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@2kwik4u I agree Jeep has been a niche maker (as of late). I’m just not sure there’s room for a Wrangler (for the style crowd) and the Gladiator (also for the style crowd when you get down to business). I do hope it’s successful, I always root for American manufacturers to be a world standard.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a Jeep thing. I love driving around doors off, top on and mudding couple times a year. Current question: 2 or 3 vehicles? keep my 2 door and buy 7 passenger SUVs. Or get rid of 2 door and minivan, then get Gladiator or 4 door. 4 door is pushing it based upon specs but tows it pretty easily. Keeping sedan in all scenarios. Been thinking about this since I got my 190 in the spring. This is what is known as a first world problem.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a Jeep guy with a rubicon lj, but i think the gladiator is silly. It can't offroad like a Wrangler and it can't haul like a real truck.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much will a lariat supercrew ranger cost?

I bought a brand new Ram 1500 crew cab eco diesel fully loaded for 45k. It gets around 29 mpg while babying it and I’ve gotten 18mpg towing a mustang GT350 on a car trailer.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm a Jeep guy with a rubicon lj, but i think the gladiator is silly. It can't offroad like a Wrangler and it can't haul like a real truck.
My last 5 trucks were full sized and I never used any of them to their capacity. I wanted a Wrangler but it wouldn't tow my boat, the Gladiator filled both of my needs.

Every Wrangler guy that I have run into love the Gladiator, the only haters are the ones who wished they would have bought a Gladiator and not a Wrangler. :)

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My last 5 trucks were full sized and I never used any of them to their capacity. I wanted a Wrangler but it wouldn't tow my boat, the Gladiator filled both of my needs.

Every Wrangler guy that I have run into love the Gladiator, the only haters are the ones who wished they would have bought a Gladiator and not a Wrangler. :)
The gladiator is a bad ass midsize truck, but don't plan on following wranglers on Jeep trails.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bought my F150 today. 36,650 after my trade which wasn't much.

XLT, tow package, bunch of other goodies. MSRP Was 52k.

Super happy

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Super happy
Sharp looking ride. I like the color!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Super happy
My buddy has one of those he's getting ready to sell for the Rebel, even the same color as his. Nice trucks for sure. Interested to see the new F150 in 2021 when I'll be looking to buy.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1000 miles in of mixed driving and avg MPG is.......

Has lots of power, really pleased with my choice.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Turbo 6 I’ll assume? I suppose if you were really really gentle with a 5.0 you could do that, with highway miles in there. I’ve never beaten 19 average with mine, unless it was literally all highway.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2.7 Ecoboost. I was running 77 on the freeway but also did some 2 lane and lots of towns and stoplights. the first 1000 were a good mix of everything.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah those 2.7’s are pretty good, usually when I travel if I rent a truck they have the 2.7. Quiet, smooth. I do miss the sound when I’m away though...

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is a old thread but I just wanted to post this in case anyone was curious about Ford Rangers towing. My wife bought a new ranger so we decided to use it to take the AR210 to the dealership for some winter time punch list stuff. I will tell you I was impressed. The rear end dropped about a inch and a half. It had plenty of power to pull. We got about 12.5 mpg towing down the highway at 65 mph. Only downfall was some sway on the highway above 65, definitely just due to the fact it's short and not as wide when we're used to towing with f150 crew cab 6.5 bed max tow Ecoboost. But the ranger getting 27mpg empty. Turning radius is unbelievable I can tell you that. Only thing I would get if we towed the boat with it a lot is some mirror extensions just because it's a bit narrow and harder to see around the boat. But pretty impressive I will say for a smaller pickup. IMG_20211120_095022331.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I know this is a old thread but I just wanted to post this in case anyone was curious about Ford Rangers towing. My wife bought a new ranger so we decided to use it to take the AR210 to the dealership for some winter time punch list stuff. I will tell you I was impressed. The rear end dropped about a inch and a half. It had plenty of power to pull. We got about 12.5 mpg towing down the highway at 65 mph. Only downfall was some sway on the highway above 65, definitely just due to the fact it's short and not as wide when we're used to towing with f150 crew cab 6.5 bed max tow Ecoboost. But the ranger getting 27mpg empty. Turning radius is unbelievable I can tell you that. Only thing I would get if we towed the boat with it a lot is some mirror extensions just because it's a bit narrow and harder to see around the boat. But pretty impressive I will say for a smaller pickup. View attachment 167434
What I would have expected, thanks for review