• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Expertise Needed

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Folks, when towing, often run out of payload capacity before they reach towing capacity.

I would assume that with two kids, the OP has a quad cab or crew cab. While there is a lot of good information in post #15, I would use the chart for the quad or crew cab in post #14. The difference between the charts in posts #14 and #15 would be a reduction is tow capacity of about 400 lbs but and increase in payload capacity of about 200 lbs.

As @FSH 210 Sport notes, there is still a decent margin in both tow/payload capacity no matter which table is used.

I would still suggest that you wait and try towing a 252 FSH with the existing truck. If you find it comfortable to tow - then great. Otherwise you start looking for a new truck.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would also add airbags if not equipped.
I prefer to be in the 50% range of towing capacity.
118* air temp, 150* asphalt, climbing to 5500' twice in 70 miles is typical.
High under hood temps and the puter will pull timing drastically affecting performance.
It’s been a looong time since I lived in Texas, but I don’t recall many mountains in east Texas.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Minute 2:29….
Hold the load!

Put it in the red.

Freaking love that movie.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Brake upgrades are a nice improvement, I did the Powerstop Z36 stuff on my tow pig.

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Intersting conversation here. So just so we are all on the same page, I have a 5.7L Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 8HP70 tranny and 3.21's.

I'm going wednesday to look at a 222 FSH just to see if I think the room will be enough but i'm pretty sure I know the answer since i'm already happy in the size of out 242. I know the truck can tow it. Longevity is my main concern. I considered adding a transmission cooler and will most likely add air bags, regardless.

Thanks for all the input so far, and was hoping someone with a Ram 1500 had some experience since i'm aware of the tranny issues with Ram/Dodge. I'm thinking i'll be fine for a twice a year trip to the coast and some multiple short trips to surrounding lakes. Buddy of mine is a GM for CDJR so if push comes to shove i'll look at getting a Power Wagon or something with a Cummins. I'd rather have the boat first, though. lol.
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 6.15.27 PM.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Intersting conversation here. So just so we are all on the same page, I have a 5.7L Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 8HP70 tranny and 3.21's.

I'm going wednesday to look at a 222 FSH just to see if I think the room will be enough but i'm pretty sure I know the answer since i'm already happy in the size of out 242. I know the truck can tow it. Longevity is my main concern. I considered adding a transmission cooler and will most likely add air bags, regardless.

Thanks for all the input so far, and was hoping someone with a Ram 1500 had some experience since i'm aware of the tranny issues with Ram/Dodge. I'm thinking i'll be fine for a twice a year trip to the coast and some multiple short trips to surrounding lakes. Buddy of mine is a GM for CDJR so if push comes to shove i'll look at getting a Power Wagon or something with a Cummins. I'd rather have the boat first, though. lol.
View attachment 205922
Looks like you just need to keep an eye on the fluid level and temp of the trans. If you see it getting hot back down a bit. If you’re not towing over mountains and such you’ll be fine. The truck should have a trans cooler in it already.

Make sure the fluid is good and change the internal filter as well.

You’ll be good.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Nothing wrong with a Power Wagon or a Ram with a Cummins, but you don’t really need that much to pull 7,000 lbs. As I note in my signature, I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn Quad cab 4X4 with a 5.7 Hemi engine, an 8-speed 8HP75 transmission, and a 3.92 rear axle. Max. payload on my truck is rated at 1593 lbs. with a tow capacity of 11,493 lbs.

I love the new 22 footers, including the 220/222 FSH. I think the upgrades from the 210 turn the FSH into a great coastal fishing boat.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here’s a good article on the SAE J2807 test standard. As a fyi Toyota was the first to adopt this standard, Ford, then GM and Dodge. This towing test is comprehensive and kinda brutal, but it’s a real world test.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It would be interesting to read the actual paper (saeJ2807).

This is the 2016 version.

Or you can go here and pay $125 to read the latest version.

Speciulboy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I own a FSH 255 and tow it with a modern 2500 cummins, which I upgraded with 4.11 gears due to my 35" tires. The truck tows it with ease, but I'm lucky to get 10mpg. The size of the boat in general, including the T Top on the 252/255 models is significantly larger and as such, catches a lot more wind resistance. Folks comparing it to a standard open bow configuration on a 21 foot are not making an apples to apples comparison.

I think the truck will tow it just fine, but beware, you'll suck fuel like never before, and you need to consider that once you put 111 gallons of fuel in it, fishing and family stuff, and trailer, you're closing in on 7k lbs behind you. Again, not much static weight, but the wind resistance is noticeable.

Here's a picture for reference behind my megacab, you can see how tall the boat is behind the truck.

Good luck and safe travels

Attachments