• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a new Ranger, thoughts

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI the 10 speed in the Ford trucks is a joint venture between GM and Ford. GM got it for the Camaro, Ford got the truck version. If I'm not mistaken though the new Silverado/Sierra got the 10 speed, no?
Yes, I think the new Silverado/Sierra platform got the 10spd.

They (both Ford and GM) have a long way to go to get to the level of ZF transmissions. They're the gold standard IMO that others strive to hit.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For us Dummies, IDK what is a ZF transmission

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd go F150 over Ranger. Just rolled 201k miles on my 2010. I thought my next truck would be the Ram as well but I'm leaning back to another Ford as my replacement. For sure will be getting 4x4 next go around. Boat ramps scare the hell out of me (2wd) if they are the least bit wet or sketchy with the new boat vs my smaller and lighter 192.

And who tows "passing" people at 85 MPH???!! Dafuq :oops:! Dude I tow at 55-65 MPH. Don't forget about that (heavy) load that's behind the truck.....

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don’t forget all the gas Hd”s are getting either 8speeds or 10speeds as well. Chevy and ford are even getting new motors.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll agree that ZF have been the trans to beat, the 10 speed in my 2018 F150 is not as refined as the 8 speed ZF for sure. I’ll bet in a year or 2 though they’ll have the tuning down, to be honest with the 10 speed in my truck and the 5.0 V-8 I have never wished for shorter gears than the 3.31 I have now. Granted I was not at the 10,000# mark on the trailer I was towing, but I had to be close to 8,000# (Car trailer with a Suburban on it).

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going to pick up my F150 tomorrow. Watched a review of the folded down back seat of a Ranger for 37k and that was it. Loaded XLT F150 for 39k.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And who tows "passing" people at 85 MPH???!!
Not saying anything but in places like parts of NM, parts of TX, AZ that's pretty much traveling speed, same up in Dakotas, parts of MN, with speed limit 75.
Or so I'm told...lol :cigar:

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup, speed limit is 75 for most of Texas outside of major cities.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Speed limit here is 70 on the interstates. I just don't care to run those speeds towing and will hang to the right lane and let everyone pass.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speed limit here is 70 on the interstates. I just don't care to run those speeds towing and will hang to the right lane and let everyone pass.
I ran 70 on vacation, 75 for a bit. Guy I was following was running that speed (After I talked him down from 80) and we wanted to stay as a group. It's faster than I liked with a trailer, but I can't point to any real reason. Truck and trailer both performed well, nothing overheated, and stability was fine even in medium crosswinds.

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO, forget the ranger. Go Jeep Gladiator. Guaranteed to hold its value better which is always your decision maker when buying new.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As long as you stay in the right lane, those suckers in the left lane goin slow are the ones that are the problem!

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Let’s see, Jeep Gladiator for $50k or an actual full size truck for $40k? That’s a tough sell dude.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As long as you stay in the right lane, those suckers in the left lane goin slow are the ones that are the problem!
Yes that is annoying and thankfully they just passed a state law making it illegal to ride in the left lane unless you’re passing someone.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let’s see, Jeep Gladiator for $50k or an actual full size truck for $40k? That’s a tough sell dude.
Not really a tough sell, there's nothing out there like it. They can be had for around the 40K mark with the max tow package which will tow 7650 lbs.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ran 70 on vacation, 75 for a bit. Guy I was following was running that speed (After I talked him down from 80) and we wanted to stay as a group. It's faster than I liked with a trailer, but I can't point to any real reason. Truck and trailer both performed well, nothing overheated, and stability was fine even in medium crosswinds.
Most trailer tires for my size also have a max speed in the 70s (70-75mph). Some I saw had a max of 80, but I'd sure as hell not wanna tow at the max with the heat in the summer anywhere in the desert or deep south. I'm the same way, 70mph is my max and I'll hang in the slow lane all day long.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not really a tough sell, there's nothing out there like it. They can be had for around the 40K mark with the max tow package which will tow 7650 lbs.

View attachment 100897
Man those Sport S ones are ugly as crap. This is coming from a Jeep guy, that also owns a sport wrangler. They just look so cheap in the Jeep Truck.

I'm going through the planning stages of my next vehicle. Jeep is paid off, so it's not going anywhere, and I have a little DD econobox I drive to work....which is also staying. I was hell bent on the Rubi JT, but after looking at what you can get in the full size market it doesn't make sense to have to top off vehicles just to say I have them. So Ram Rebel is going to be my next truck.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The problem with the Gladiator that I see, is it doesn’t really fill a need. In order to be successful in today’s vehicle market, the thing has to have a need. Guys that NEED a truck, don’t want it. Tiny bed, lackluster towing, it’s a mid size truck the top comes off of. Guys that want a Jeep, get a Wrangler. The short wheelbase, removable top, off road capability, etc. So in my mind the Gladiator is too small to be a “tool”, too big to be a real off road Jeep. Now, there is a small segment, already Jeep guys (or would like to have one) but need the utility of a bed. This is the niche market for the Gladiator, but unfortunately once the novelty wears off niche cars and trucks go away. Think Chevy SST, Ford Lightning, those Nissan Murano Convertible things, etc. The big reason most small/mid size pickups die off is because once it’s no longer cheaper than a full size to buy and operate, there’s no reason not to buy a full size pickup. Dont get me wrong, I think it’s cool. Cool idea, kinda well executed (the proportions look a bit funny to me, it almost looks too long and narrow) and it’s probably more capable off road than most pickups. But most pickups don’t go off road too much, unless you’re a farmer or tradesman getting a job done.