• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Thinking about going solo for 1st time

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am thinking about taking the boat out by myself for 1st time. It is usually just me and my wife, but she has a fracture in her foot that she suffered in April, and still hasn't healed. She is walking around ok, but she doesn't feel comfortable getting on and off the boat. Surgery may be coming. My kids are older and busy. If I do this , it may be Thursday, a weekday for sure. I have only been out only once this year (with my son) and its very disappointing. I dont want the boat to sit another yr without running it. Trying to hit up the neighbors, but I would like to go on a weekday. Any tips would be appreciated, I am not so much concerned about launching, more about returning to the dock with no help. Dont want to do any damage.

If you go slow enough you’ll be fine. I’ve had to dock our boat by myself a few times, I just go at the pace of a snail and have all my fenders and dock lines ready before I approach. And just remember if you don’t like the approach just back out and try again! Trailering would be a little different alone though, have your winch hook extended and ready so when you jump off the boat after hitting the trailer you can hook it up.

One time I watched a guy walk his boat from the dock to the trailer since he was alone and just used a dock line. Not sure how deep it is around your launch if that’s an option!

I recover by myself (even when I have peeps with me) which is way easier for me than launching solo.

My steps:
  • Tie up at the ramp doc - engines off
  • Run and get the trailer
  • Engines on - push off of the ramp doc
  • Load onto trailer then engines off (I do power load a bit to get centered on the bunks and I have guide polls which have helped me quite a bit)
  • Shimmy off bow onto trailer
  • Connect winch strap and reel it in - connect winch chain
  • Hop in the truck and pull it out.
I can generally get this done in under 10 minutes - most of the time is spent waddling to the truck/trailer.

I launch and retrieve by myself 99.9% of the time. If its windy I don’t put the trailer in as deep so it rides up on the bunks better, and I’ve retrieved in some 40 mph cross winds.

All it takes is practice and with practice comes confidence. Don’t worry about scratching your boat, any dings or scratches are repairable. Is it drag to scratch or ding it? Yep, but it is a thing, and things can be fixed.

Go out and burn some fuel!

Thanks for all the responses. I will probably give it a go. I was most worried about the potential dings and scratches. I guess it is what it is

Just put 3 fenders on the side of your boat and have all your dock lines attached and ready, and go slow. For docking when you’re close shut your engines off, get off the boat gracefully so as to not push it away, and once on the dock quickly grab your dock line from the MIDDLE of the boat first, not the bow and stern. I say this because if you grab the bow dock line first, it’s easy for the back of the boat to swing out away from the dock and then there’s nothing you can really do, other than jump back in the bow of the boat and start all over, or jump in the water.

When launching from the dock, I actually recommend keeping the engines off, walking the boat back horizontally along the dock, and giving a push, jumping into the bow before you get to the end of the dock, ensuring that you clear the dock corner. Then I fire up the engines. I say that because you shouldn’t have the engines running if you’re not in the boat, but also it will wander, making the whole process less predictable.

You talked about launching and retrieving but how about boating? Wear a life jacket and use the kill switch. I don’t do either when I have company but do them 100% by myself. Its just too easy for stuff to go bad.

The Family and Passengers help unloading and loading? That's a first!

Thanks , all great advice. Looking forward to getting back on the water

You talked about launching and retrieving but how about boating? Wear a life jacket and use the kill switch. I don’t do either when I have company but do them 100% by myself. Its just too easy for stuff to go bad.

This is really good advice. :thumbsup:

Take your time.
Get the trailer lined up where you want it. Even if it takes a couple of tries. I have put the trailer in and pulled it back out because I didn't like how it was placed.
Approach the trailer slowly with the boat. If you don't like the approach, back off and approach again.
Don't worry about an audience. They want to see you mess up. Take your time.

I am thinking about taking the boat out by myself for 1st time. It is usually just me and my wife, but she has a fracture in her foot that she suffered in April, and still hasn't healed. She is walking around ok, but she doesn't feel comfortable getting on and off the boat. Surgery may be coming. My kids are older and busy. If I do this , it may be Thursday, a weekday for sure. I have only been out only once this year (with my son) and its very disappointing. I dont want the boat to sit another yr without running it. Trying to hit up the neighbors, but I would like to go on a weekday. Any tips would be appreciated, I am not so much concerned about launching, more about returning to the dock with no help. Dont want to do any damage.
Wear a life jacket and hook the engine cutoff lanyard to you. I've gone a few times by myself in my lake with no issues but life vest and lanyard are a must.

Get one of these. Helps a lot with my wife trying to hook the dock and then we can pull the boat close and use the stern rope to tie in.

Wear a life jacket and hook the engine cutoff lanyard to you. I've gone a few times by myself in my lake with no issues but life vest and lanyard are a must.

Get one of these. Helps a lot with my wife trying to hook the dock and then we can pull the boat close and use the stern rope to tie in.
Yea, I have a boat hook, but it doesn't have the loop at the end, that's nice

So I did end up going out yesterday by myself, which was very weird, btw. It went very well. The ramps were empty, no one around, which made it much easier, less stress. Everything seemed to go in my favor, no wind, light current. I had to make a couple of approaches when docking, but all in all, I am glad I tried it. Best of all no dings or scratches to the boat.
Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like you had a great solo trip!

I’ll confess while I enjoy boating with others, there is something relaxing about boating alone.

Jim

Back