• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
it's really just a simple formula. Take the Max capacity of your boat. Then be at, at least 80% of that. So my max for my boat is 6500 lbs. I have 4000 lbs of stock ballast. So I'm about 1200 lbs short of 80%. Well why would they do that you ask. Marketing. If they added another 1200 lbs that's like 8 less people that could be on the boat. So a 24.5 ft boat with a capacity of 10 isn't exactly easy to market. So you have a decent wave stock prob 10x better than anything my little jet boat could do. But if you spend 100k for a boat you don't want just OK. So I spent another $1285 on 1200 lbs of lead to give me a proper wave. I opted not to add the wakeboard racks that are $3000. So still under what I could have been with wakeboard racks but no extra weight.
Here's an interesting fact - MBs don't have a "max capacity" tag. Weird, eh? My F22 came from the factory with 5,000 lbs of ballast (2800 sub-floor and 2200 in PNP locker bags. I also carry a 650 lb bow bag and 250 lbs of 'lead' (actually it is steel shot but whatever) bags. Even running just the sub floor full and the PNP bags at about half full, the wake is insane (like, frightening) and the surf wave is fantastic.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not sure where you are getting your info about MB from or how "quite a while" is defined, but the B52 23 got a new hull in 2018, The F22 was new in 2014 and got a new running surface and top deck in 2019, there's an all new F24 coming out any day now.
Guess I missed the F22 refresh. Going to go nerd out on it now. Could have got bad info but I was told that the B52 really just went to getting built out of the old mold as it was proven to turn out better waves with GSA plates. I get it wrong all the time.

Wasnt trying to knock MB, was just saying them and Sanger have gotten their money's worth out of those molds and built them for a long time without churning out other new model(s) each year like a lot of the other manufacturers in the towboat segment. I love me some MBs. Posted a pic up of a 24 Tomcat just this morning over in the tow rigs and trailer section. They arent the only ones. Tige continues to build out of the same z1/z3 molds and just changed them the R series but also rolled out the RZX2,RZX3, ZX1, ZX5, and RZX20 in 3 years. Skiers rolled out the Helix, Max, and Makai in 3 successive years. Havent seen that much new stuff from the Cali builders while the market was red hot and they presumably had some cash to dump into R and D, was what I was really angling at.

Attachments

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guess I missed the F22 refresh. Going to go nerd out on it now. Could have got bad info but I was told that the B52 really just went to getting built out of the old mold as it was proven to turn out better waves with GSA plates. I get it wrong all the time.

Wasnt trying to knock MB, was just saying them and Sanger have gotten their money's worth out of those molds and built them for a long time without churning out other new model(s) each year like a lot of the other manufacturers in the towboat segment. I love me some MBs. Posted a pic up of a 24 Tomcat just this morning over in the tow rigs and trailer section. They arent the only ones. Tige continues to build out of the same z1/z3 molds and just changed them the R series but also rolled out the RZX2,RZX3, ZX1, ZX5, and RZX20 in 3 years. Skiers rolled out the Helix, Max, and Makai in 3 successive years. Havent seen that much new stuff from them while the market was red hot and they presumably had some cash to dump into R and D.
To be clear, I didn't take any offense or really even read anything negative into your original post! I hope I didn't come across that way. Just thought I'd throw out the info is all. Really, there are sooooo many awesome boats out right now in the wake/surf category. Moomba has definitely been on an awesome trajectory these past several years. If we had a good dealer nearby, I would definitely have looked hard at them. As it is, I have one of the best MB dealers in the country 10 minutes down the road so that choice was pretty easy for me.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's an interesting fact - MBs don't have a "max capacity" tag. Weird, eh? My F22 came from the factory with 5,000 lbs of ballast (2800 sub-floor and 2200 in PNP locker bags. I also carry a 650 lb bow bag and 250 lbs of 'lead' (actually it is steel shot but whatever) bags. Even running just the sub floor full and the PNP bags at about half full, the wake is insane (like, frightening) and the surf wave is fantastic.
I think it’s because they are not a member of the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association). Any builder that is a member is required to list a max capacity as well as build certain amounts of safety into their boats. Not saying MB isn’t safe of course lol. Just saying that if they are a member of the NMMA they’re required to jump through some red tape and hoops vs other builders.

Last edited:

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To be clear, I didn't take any offense or really even read anything negative into your original post! I hope I didn't come across that way. Just thought I'd throw out the info is all. Really, there are sooooo many awesome boats out right now in the wake/surf category. Moomba has definitely been on an awesome trajectory these past several years. If we had a good dealer nearby, I would definitely have looked hard at them. As it is, I have one of the best MB dealers in the country 10 minutes down the road so that choice was pretty easy for me.
None taken brother. Sounds like you are a smart buyer. Seen it many times where the dealer support on the backend ruins a brand or market area for a manufacturer. Who's your dealer?? Supra has been blowing my mind. The way they are retooling each boat every 3 years is awesome. This years SE is a mind blower. I think it easily competes with a g25 but is of course way less. Been out behind the SL twice and it's easily one of my favorite stock waves(zero added bags or lead).

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah - the NMMA thing is interesting. The boat is still "coast guard certified" per a placard on the inside but it doesn't have either a capacity tag or an emergency kill lanyard. I never actually wore my lanyard on my Yamaha so I don't miss it.

My dealer is Larson Marine in Sacramento. Supra's are amazing, too. I bit too much $$$ for me but definitely in that upper echelon.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah - the NMMA thing is interesting. The boat is still "coast guard certified" per a placard on the inside but it doesn't have either a capacity tag or an emergency kill lanyard. I never actually wore my lanyard on my Yamaha so I don't miss it.

My dealer is Larson Marine in Sacramento. Supra's are amazing, too. I bit too much $$$ for me but definitely in that upper echelon.
Funny thing about the safety lanyard. When I first got my Max and took Jin (@blacksapphirez) and his wife out on it there were probably 3 times the engine stopped working. On the 3rd time is when I noticed my right knee touched something. After inspecting further my kill switch is two-way and I was hitting it when resting my knee against the side lol. It will kill the engine if the lanyard is yanked out and it also has a pressure switch on the face of it so you can easily kill the engine by hitting it. A bit different than the PWC style clip that my Yamaha used and caught me off guard. Thought my new boat was messing up and stuff lol.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boats are live on their web site. Never really been a man of the Mastercraft styling, but not a bad looking boat. Looks like an upgrade over the previous NXT series. The 22' is surf ready at $80k.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Boats are live on their web site. Never really been a man of the Mastercraft styling, but not a bad looking boat. Looks like an upgrade over the previous NXT series. The 22' is surf ready at $80k.

I will bet that's super stripped down. We sold a 19 NXT22 for 80k not too long ago. Had no bimini and NO STEREO. Couldnt believe somone would pay that much for a boat with no stereo at all.

Theres a new entry to the "budget" boat segment. Get ready for ATX boats to drop August 1st. Pretty stoked on it.

GeauxDeep

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will bet that's super stripped down. We sold a 19 NXT22 for 80k not too long ago. Had no bimini and NO STEREO. Couldnt believe somone would pay that much for a boat with no stereo at all.

Theres a new entry to the "budget" boat segment. Get ready for ATX boats to drop August 1st. Pretty stoked on it.
is this a surf/wake boat? couldnt find anything about it yet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Surf/wake boats made by a reputable company in Texas 😉. Going to be the new budget brand for them. Think Axis/Malibu, Moomba/Supra. I'm not supposed to say much as a dealer and dont want to be the guy that gets in trouble for spilling the beans. Just get ready.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Surf/wake boats made by a reputable company in Texas 😉. Going to be the new budget brand for them. Think Axis/Malibu, Moomba/Supra. I'm not supposed to say much as a dealer and dont want to be the guy that gets in trouble for spilling the beans. Just get ready.

Hopefully it’s not another Heyday, lol.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2019-07-16_15-23-22.png

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Head on over to Tiges website and try and find the R22(was the RZ2 before). Its gone. I wonder what length boat ATX will roll out first 🤷‍♂️