• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think spending more time on technique will be the most benefit. The surf style nose of the Coaster should be of more benefit in preventing nose diving. This is likely more a matter of weight distribution over the nose. Video would better help diagnose what's happening.

Granted some stub nose boards are designed to have a little more buoyancy near the nose, but you may trade speed with some designs. I'm admittedly bias because I'm a Slingshot dealer, but the Coaster it's a great handling hybrid. It will get riders ropeless on a pretty modest wave. The nose rocker starts far enough forward on the board to allow you to put a fair amount of forward pressure to lean in the gas, but there is a tipping point. You wasn't too be able to ride just behind that point. I would suggest spending a little more time getting comfortable on it before investing in another board. It may not be the fix you need or expect.
Thank you! I also read up and found that the Coaster is often recommended for marginal wakes so good on Yamaha for making a good pairing with the wake booster kit. Would you say all three fins on is optimal for speed? I took the rear fin out last weekend and the looser feeling was fun but I'm mostly focused on getting speed and push right now.

I'm going to try to dial my wake longer as well so I have some more space before getting beside the boat and catching the water coming off the side of the hull.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can't wait to try out the Neo and hopefully ditch my ole dingy looking Broadcast. It's been ridden rough over its lifetime and the traction mat is starting to lift in a few places. Loved my Nubstep and it carved really sharp by comparison but it was too small for this big guy. The 5' should Neo should be fun! Hoping the weather forecast improves for the weekend so we can give it a go. Tired of seeing this old Broadcast looking like a old turd :D

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you! I also read up and found that the Coaster is often recommended for marginal wakes so good on Yamaha for making a good pairing with the wake booster kit. Would you say all three fins on is optimal for speed? I took the rear fin out last weekend and the looser feeling was fun but I'm mostly focused on getting speed and push right now.

I'm going to try to dial my wake longer as well so I have some more space before getting beside the boat and catching the water coming off the side of the hull.
The fins being as small as they are I'm not sure they effect the speed greatly, other than your ability to pump and drive will. But I've not done extensive testing with less fins on smaller wave sizes. I can say I've not felt any loss of speed as a result on my wave. Larger stuff style fins can generate more of a foil dynamic as they move they the water effecting the speed.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't wait to try out the Neo and hopefully ditch my ole dingy looking Broadcast. It's been ridden rough over its lifetime and the traction mat is starting to lift in a few places. Loved my Nubstep and it carved really sharp by comparison but it was too small for this big guy. The 5' should Neo should be fun! Hoping the weather forecast improves for the weekend so we can give it a go. Tired of seeing this old Broadcast looking like a old turd :D

Should be a great upgrade

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some pretty terrible attempts at getting a 360. I nailed it once but really didn't think I would even come close so I just stopped after I made it around. Now I can't even get close.

Don't feel bad. I tried a 360 last time out for shits and giggles :D

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wake9 Moomba Makai video is finally out.

The video isn’t quite what I had hoped, but it’s informative and the wave looks great. Seems to have their stamp of approval.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash I'm in the process of shopping for a new boat and it's going to be a V-drive. I got to check out a 2021 Moomba Max and man I'm really jealous of you, that is one badass boat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash I'm in the process of shopping for a new boat and it's going to be a V-drive. I got to check out a 2021 Moomba Max and man I'm really jealous of you, that is one badass boat.
The 2021 Max has some nice changes. Congrats on the v-drive boat shopping! They are awesome and we love it. Like anything it takes a little getting used to driving them but it's not bad at all. New Max has some nice little upgrades that all add up well together. Some of the changes are real minor while others more noticeable. Standard ballast is now 4K lbs and that is a good starting point for the Max and honestly what it should have been since release. The big boat needed the extra ballast during 2018-2019 with 3k lbs so having an additional 1k lbs will be a much better starting point for the boat. The mid lockers are now less deep and the midship bags are completely subfloor. Really nice! I love my 2019 Max but one thing I really wished it had was the larger 7" screen and I knew it was only a matter of time they would add it to the Max once I saw how they laid out the Makai back in 2019.

Some minor changes I noticed...

Basically the Max dash and helm is nearly identical to the Makai now. Take a look below at this 2020 Makai and compare to the new Max. The switches stack, head unit relocation, 7" dash, captains chair, padded glove box tops etc all the same now. Nice little upgrades IMO! I still prefer the higher supporting back and overall design of the 2018-2019 captains chairs.

[

One other interior change I think I see are the side padded areas in the bow walkthrough are flatter or less bubbly than the 2018-2020 Max's. Could be just my eyes but it for sure looks flatter especially around the side access door and corners.

I noticed the drivers side padding is slightly reshaped because of the new dash design.

Kevin-yyz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m might be shopping too. Waiting on insurance to make the call on the damage to my boat. At first glance I’m not all that impressed with the replacement for the 242xe. Moomba line offers some really good choices.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Max is too big for us. I'm still holding out hope for a boat that will fit in our garage with a 7' door. I checked out a A20 and me and the wife hated it, I couldn't get past the gauges taking up the whole windshield. We checked out a 2021 NXT20, it's a beautiful boat and we are considering it, but we are concerned about the size especially in the bow. They didn't have a NXT22 there but were able to sit in a XT22 which has a similar layout. I would love something that I can get in and out of the garage using my truck and not my back. I am considering dry docking for the season and only putting the boat in the garage in the off-season.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Max is too big for us. I'm still holding out hope for a boat that will fit in our garage with a 7' door. I checked out a A20 and me and the wife hated it, I couldn't get past the gauges taking up the whole windshield. We checked out a 2021 NXT20, it's a beautiful boat and we are considering it, but we are concerned about the size especially in the bow. They didn't have a NXT22 there but were able to sit in a XT22 which has a similar layout. I would love something that I can get in and out of the garage using my truck and not my back. I am considering dry docking for the season and only putting the boat in the garage in the off-season.
My .02 I used to try and get a boat that would fit in my garage and honestly it sounds great but the issue quickly becomes that it limits the available boats to choose from. There are only a handful that can do it. Trust me, you do not want to attempt pushing these boats in and out of the garage!! I'm not sure who far you trailer to you lake or if you go to several lakes but what we decided to do was get a storage unit to the lake we love and use the most. The lake is an hour and half from my house. Towing that distance wasn't a big deal but it did hit my wallet more than the lighter Yamaha used to. So much spent in gas for the truck that the storage unit actually saves us money! It also removes a ton of stress from towing and the wear and tear on your truck and trailer. Most importantly though it allowed me to shop for any size boat we wanted because my storage unit is 40' with 14' wide opening and massive tall roll-up door.

I went back and forth on dry docking, wet slipping and getting an enclosed storage unit. I chose the storage unit because I didn't want to worry about someone screwing up or dropping my boat if dry docking and if they would install the drain plug or forget to do it o_O . You also can't just easily go and work on your boat if you dry storage without them getting your boat down and I guess place it on your trailer? I didn't want to do wet slipping because it's way too costly and limits our protection if it didn't have a lift. I also see those scary big summer storms pop up and wreck havoc on marinas so it just didn't appeal to me and the enclosed storage seemed like the safer and more private option to go with. I have 3 different launches to choose from all within 5 miles or so of our unit. It has been GREAT and honestly we go to the lake more often than we used to when towing because it just makes it so much more convenient . We no longer have to do the whole boat prep thing in line at the public ramp because we do all of that while at the storage facility. Makes it great to just pull into the ramp and have the boat ready to go and pull past everyone prepping :winkingthumbsup" .

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only videos I've seen of the 2021 Max so far. This is the video where I pulled those screenshots from in my earlier post. The 500 lb midship bags now are fully hidden subfloor. Looks like it cuts into half the depth of a 2018-2020 midship locker but does a nice job of hiding the bags and everything. I stow multiple boards in my midship locker so not sure I would still be able to do that with the raised and redesigned midship locker but it is nice to see. I have a buddy who ordered his 2021 Max back in early July and he should be getting it in a few weeks. His distant brother also ordered a Max without telling him and their build is literally right after each other lol. Can't wait to see it in person!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash The boat in the video you linked is the one I looked at.

I trailer half an hour. What I meant by drydocking is that we already belong to a marina since we dock 2 Seadoos and I can leave my boat in their lot and just hook it up to my truck and drop it in. Storage is hard to come by in my area and even if storage was available I haven't seen any with a tall door like yours and storage isn't cheap around here either.
I read through this thread and I'm going through the same thing you did. If I can get confirmation on the NXT22 height I may do what I described above and leave it at the marina and only store it in my garage in the off season.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a hard time imagining any of these newer wake boats being able to get under a 7' garage header. That said, if you are able to figure out the parking situation I suspect you will love the v-drive experience.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@ripler Perhaps @DavisAR195 can chime in his total height on trailer with tower folded for ya? He has an NXT22.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think spending more time on technique will be the most benefit. The surf style nose of the Coaster should be of more benefit in preventing nose diving. This is likely more a matter of weight distribution over the nose. Video would better help diagnose what's happening.

Granted some stub nose boards are designed to have a little more buoyancy near the nose, but you may trade speed with some designs. I'm admittedly bias because I'm a Slingshot dealer, but the Coaster it's a great handling hybrid. It will get riders ropeless on a pretty modest wave. The nose rocker starts far enough forward on the board to allow you to put a fair amount of forward pressure to lean in the gas, but there is a tipping point. You wasn't too be able to ride just behind that point. I would suggest spending a little more time getting comfortable on it before investing in another board. It may not be the fix you need or expect.
I second J-Rad's suggestion on the Coaster. I purchased from him and with my setup now I have a lot of room to play on the wave. Getting too close to the front sends me right into the transom, nearly always have to be heavy on brake when riding the front 4-5 feet of the wave!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just took a quick measurement at the highest point of the tower base folded is 87".
Thank you. Since there was a redesign for 2020 I'm wondering if the height will be different.
We were able to climb around a 2021 NXT20 and it felt small to me coming from a SX210, especially in the bow and available storage.
We don't usually have a big crew it's mainly only the 3 of us, but it could get to 8 every once in a while.
My wife loves the NXT20 we looked at and I really liked it a lot too, NXT22 would be a better fit. The issues I have is that it will be next to impossible to demo one since every boat coming in is sold already.
Damn it if I would have sold my wife on the idea last year I wouldn't be having these problems.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you. Since there was a redesign for 2020 I'm wondering if the height will be different.
We were able to climb around a 2021 NXT20 and it felt small to me coming from a SX210, especially in the bow and available storage.
We don't usually have a big crew it's mainly only the 3 of us, but it could get to 8 every once in a while.
My wife loves the NXT20 we looked at and I really liked it a lot too, NXT22 would be a better fit. The issues I have is that it will be next to impossible to demo one since every boat coming in is sold already.
Damn it if I would have sold my wife on the idea last year I wouldn't be having these problems.
We are a family of 4 coming from a 2017 AR195 and big reason for purchasing the NXT22 was the space. I would say 50% of the time it’s just us and the other 50% we have 8 to 10 people and the boat does not feel cramped.