• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Dropping? Check here!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am amazed that the mfg of the throttles has not made any changes to these for current model boats. It has to be known to them. I was thinking they had changed them, as I had not heard the issue in the later models. Or people are just living with it. If anyone is listening, do this fix, enjoy your boat again with one hand. (everyone needs a free hand while driving)
my 2020 doesn't have the issue, yet. Was shocked seeing folks with new boats also still having the issue. Wild!

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am noticing the throttle drop on my 2020 212s after 30 hours. I might just try adjusting the tension screws 1st to see if that fixes the issue.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am noticing the throttle drop on my 2020 212s after 30 hours. I might just try adjusting the tension screws 1st to see if that fixes the issue.
It might! But if not it's like 7 philips screws and you're looking at the issue.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Go ahead, it’s what we all did before doing it the correct way. As nobody wants to deal with pulling the throttles up out of the hull and taking them apart....

The trouble with doing it in the off season, is you don’t get to test it out. So you sit all winter wondering if it worked. If you do it now, then you know. It’s easy once you have one done, you know. Then on to the second.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been wanting to fix the throttle drop on my SX230HO, but I don't have much faith in myself when it comes to taking things apart and getting them back together, especially when it comes to my boat. @Speedling was nice enough to meet up with me at a tire shop where he knows the owners that is between our homes and do his fix to my boat. That was Saturday, today I was able to get the boat out and test it, it worked great, no more throttle drop. I also purchased the throttle sync from Jet Boat Pilot. Honestly it's probably not worth the $150, you could make something similar with stuff laying around in your garage or for $15 at a hardware store, but it did it's job and I'm happy with it. I was lucky, my engines were within 100rpm of each other at my normal cruising speed of around 8,000 rpm, so I didn't need to make any adjustments to the throttle cable. The slower I go, the more the gap in rpm's is, but not enough to make me change anything. Big thanks to @Speedling

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been wanting to fix the throttle drop on SX230HO, but I don't have much faith in myself when it comes to taking things apart and getting them back together, especially when it comes to my boat. @Speedling was nice enough to meet up with me at a tire shop where he knows the owners that is between our homes and do his fix to my boat. That was Saturday, today I was able to get the boat out and test it, it worked great, no more throttle drop. I also purchased the throttle sync from Jet Boat Pilot. Honestly it's probably not worth the $150, you could make something similar with stuff laying around in your garage or for $15 at a hardware store, but it did it's job and I'm happy with it. I was lucky, my engines were within 100rpm of each other at my normal cruising speed of around 8,000 rpm, so I didn't need to make any adjustments to the throttle cable. The slower I go, the more the gap in rpm's is, but not enough to make me change anything. Big thanks to @Speedling
That's good to hear that you got if working.

One quick tip with the JBP Throttle Sync, is if they are off just twist the two sticks. (pushing the lower one more forward than the other back) While they are locked, it will raise one and lower the other just enough to sync them. You will hear it the second they sync too. The lock seems simple, but it does work. But try the twist, the next time they are out of sync.

Good luck!

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's good to hear that you got if working.

One quick tip with the JBP Throttle Sync, is if they are off just twist the two sticks. (pushing the lower one more forward than the other back) While they are locked, it will raise one and lower the other just enough to sync them. You will hear it the second they sync too. The lock seems simple, but it does work. But try the twist, the next time they are out of sync.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I'll definitely give that a try this weekend when I get out again.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just figured I would give a quick update and some pics of the fix for my 2020 212s....
The tension screw adjustment didn't quite fix my issue (I should have listened!), so I decided to follow the advice and just fix it the right way. I ended up bending the tension adjustment "fork" to make is so there is now no more "slop" in the part. I figured I would attach a before and after of how it turned out. It did take a little bit of "muscle" to bend them, but nothing extreme. I also had to remove one of the bolts holding the fork to the throttle case, and loosen the other so I could slide the for bracket far enough to fit a pliers on it.

I ended up not removing the throttle assemblies from the boat, I left all the cables attached and just sat in the captains chair and did it all in about 45 minutes. Pretty simple fix.
I did a decent amount of testing, and it made a huge different, the throttles are not rock solid and don't drop RPMs at all over an extended period. I can set them and leave them.

Again, Thanks for all the help in this thread, and for this forum!

plastic covers.jpg

I removed the plastic covers by removing the screw in "red". (Still had the small cover attached in the above pic.
I took the snap ring off so I could remove the exposed bracket in the pic below

cover removed.jpg

Once I removed the snap ring, I removed the "arm" attached to the throttle cable (sorry, no pic) so that I could remove the tension adjustment mechanism

before.jpg

This is the amount of "slop" (in red above) that was in my tension adjustment bracket fork (about the same for both throttles) before I made the fix.
I removed the bolt in green (using a 10mm socket) and loosened the other bolt hidden by the throttle arm in this pic.
This allowed me to rotate the fork bracket enough to get a decent pair of pliers on it so I could bend it tight.

Below are the results. No more gap in wither throttle. This corrected my throttle drop problem completely!
after L.jpg
after R.jpg

Last edited:

knoxboatin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, lots of info here thanks to those that posted. Bottom line though on a 2021 with 7 hours on it WTF that it has this kind of issue (Yes my boat has this, just port side throttle.) I’m pretty mechanically inclined but part of buying something brand new is not to have to be wrenching on it right away for very basic functions.

I’ll end up taking it to the dealer for this but thats also a big hassle when the boat is kept at dry storage. Pretty disappointing, Yamaha... Guess I’ll go find that customer satisfaction email you sent.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
They went SUPER DUPER cheap/poor design on the throttles and I can't believe they didn't do something with the newer models. I find it so aggravating even with the fix that it is the only reason I have "wandering eye" when it comes to other boats. Was hoping Yamaha would do something so I could retrofit vs jump ship.

PS. Dealer was no help and "that's just the way they are".

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got a 2021 AR210 and has the same issue on both engines. Will try the adjustment first and if that is the fix great. If not, I'll take the Assembly apart and do the somewhat more involved fix that is posted here and on you tube and post my results when it's done.

Shadowrider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please ignore my post that says "this was useless" that wasn't meant for this post, my bad and apologies to anyone who it might have offended.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please ignore my post that says "this was useless" that wasn't meant for this post, my bad and apologies to anyone who it might have offended.
There's an option to delete in case of stuff like this. I know I've done it for double-posts and whatnot.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Even after tearing assembly apart a couple times, modding it, the assembly is still utterly subpar. Extremely frustrating!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got a 2021 AR210 and has the same issue on both engines. Will try the adjustment first and if that is the fix great. If not, I'll take the Assembly apart and do the somewhat more involved fix that is posted here and on you tube and post my results when it's done.
It is easier than it looks if you are slightly mechanical