• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TM battery question

ONE40pt6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m working on outfitting my first boat (2022 FSH210). I’ve got the Garmin Force TM and I’ve decided I’m going to go for the lithium batteries. Given that this motor is compatible with either 24 or 36V, would it be best to use 12V batteries in series, or just go for either 24/36? I’m leaning a series configuration for a few reasons. 1. Could swap into house or starting positions in an emergency 2. If I need/want to carry them inside they’d be smaller and lighter 3. I can start with 24V and add on for 36V if I need more power.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I go all day long on 2 x 12v = 24v in series wet lead acid batteries with a motorguide TM. And that is with heavy tidal currents in coastal georgia. Im not familiar with the lithium setups.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m working on outfitting my first boat (2022 FSH210). I’ve got the Garmin Force TM and I’ve decided I’m going to go for the lithium batteries. Given that this motor is compatible with either 24 or 36V, would it be best to use 12V batteries in series, or just go for either 24/36? I’m leaning a series configuration for a few reasons. 1. Could swap into house or starting positions in an emergency 2. If I need/want to carry them inside they’d be smaller and lighter 3. I can start with 24V and add on for 36V if I need more power.
Go with the 36 volt set up. Trolling motors are a set operating voltage, 12, 24, 36, so you can’t just add on another battery in series for more KWh‘s.

Here is a thread I did in my journey towards converting to lithium batteries. https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/

For me it was a much longer winding road than I anticipated as I have some special environmental circumstances that I have to operate in in the shoulder seasons. I replaced the three 12 Volt group 27 batteries for three group 31 100 Ah LiFePO4 for my trolling motor. I also swapped out my group 24 house battery for a 100 Ah LiFePO battery. I went with Battle Born as I think those batteries have the best BMS / battery management system of any other LiFePO battery on the market, that will prevent you from wrecking those batteries.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Actually, the Garmin Force is the exception in the voltage specific variety. You can go with 2 for 24v, and just add another later if you like to pump it up to 36v. That was my plan to get started with 2 AGM batteries, and eventually replace them with 3 Lithium.

I would definitely go the series route, then you can charge all your batteries with a 4/5 bank 12v charger. Minnkota is the only one who makes a 5 bank with lithium profiles that I know of, I've been trying to get my hands on one before converting to Lithium.

My house battery is getting bad though, so I might start by converting that one now.

If you have any Garmin specific questions, I've been running their stuff for 2 years now and am very happy with it.

Last edited:

ONE40pt6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies and links. I ended up with Amped Outdoors from Scheels. Their propaganda on YouTube and the ability to walk in and buy them ($699 each) tipped the scales. Mounted in the center tray (changing room) like another member, sorry can’t remember which thread I saw it in.