• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Vibrations

MakeItSo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm towing a Yamaha 195S. On smooth surfaces, at a constant speed, I get a pretty significant vibration that ebbs and flows. It will disappear, return significantly, then disappear again, then return, etc. The vibration will get so significant I can hear the hitch vibrating on the ball. Speed seems to have no effect. This seems to happen whether I'm traveling at 30 mph, or 55 mph, or anything in between. Engine speed also seems to have no effect. Tire pressure is good. I have towed the trailer/boat from Michigan to New York without this happening. It seems to be something that has developed in the past two weeks. Any thoughts or ideas? I am towing with a mooring cover on. Could it be a type of sympathetic vibration, or drumming effect of the air over the cover?

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm towing a Yamaha 195S. On smooth surfaces, at a constant speed, I get a pretty significant vibration that ebbs and flows. It will disappear, return significantly, then disappear again, then return, etc. The vibration will get so significant I can hear the hitch vibrating on the ball. Speed seems to have no effect. This seems to happen whether I'm traveling at 30 mph, or 55 mph, or anything in between. Engine speed also seems to have no effect. Tire pressure is good. I have towed the trailer/boat from Michigan to New York without this happening. It seems to be something that has developed in the past two weeks. Any thoughts or ideas? I am towing with a mooring cover on. Could it be a type of sympathetic vibration, or drumming effect of the air over the cover?
jack it up , remove the hubs and check the bearings! ASAP

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How long did the boat sit in one spot? The bias ply tires will flat spot from sitting. If they get in sync going down the road with even minor flat spots they will be more pronounced. On a single axle trailer it will be even more pronounced. I agree the hubs should be pulled and bearings checked along with play in the bearings before you take them off.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Check your tires for a separation.....What about the tow vehicle?

MakeItSo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How long did the boat sit in one spot? The bias ply tires will flat spot from sitting. If they get in sync going down the road with even minor flat spots they will be more pronounced. On a single axle trailer it will be even more pronounced. I agree the hubs should be pulled and bearings checked along with play in the bearings before you take them off.
I think you might be on to something there... The trailer is brand new. So, I'm not thinking bearings or tire separation, BUT it's been in the 90's here. The trailer sits in direct sunlight. That's gotta soften the rubber a little. It's a single-axle trailer, with a fully-fuelled, and loaded boat. The vibration does seem to lessen after driving a few miles. The flat-spot theory seems to make sense. I'll see what happens this weekend after a little bit longer of a tow. Otherwise, I'll look into the other avenues. Thanks!

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Flat spots
Loose wheel
Bent rims

those would be my suggestions

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I had the same trailer until I went to a tandem axle aluminum load rite. (Modifying it for the 195s and two jet skis). If mine sat for more than a couple of days, the first miles until the tires warmed up were awful.

BTW, the 2021 ShoreLandr is for sale if you need it or know someone who might. 🙂

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
First step, replace the bias tires with radials and upgrade your steel wheels to aluminum. You might just have a bad tire.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First step, replace the bias tires with radials and upgrade your steel wheels to aluminum. You might just have a bad tire.
Agreed.

My Bias Ply tires only lasted about 5 seasons of semi-regular towing. They would flat spot horribly, especially once warm. Stop for gas, took 2-3 miles to "round them out" again and get smooth.

I had the belts come loose on my passenger side trailer tire. Made a GIANT bubble in the tire, and the only indication in the cab of the pickup was a slight vibration at speed. The bias ply are so "squishy" that they just went right along for the ride until about 55-60mph, then it was just kinda shake a little. I have a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it and post it.

Moved to Radials this season, and had the new tires road force balanced. It's probably over the top (an extra $10 and 5 min of labor) for a boat trailer.....but it tows smooth as butter now. Just did a shade over 1,300 miles from KY to FL and back with them. Stayed cool and round for the entire trip at interstate speeds.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had The same problem with my trailer not too long after I bought the boat, it was so bad I thought a wheel was falling off.

Make sure your tires are fully inflated to cold psi on the tire, this will help a bit more. I eventually jacked up the trailer and put a set of goodyear endurance tires on and no more vibration.

mcmspark

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have this same problem on a brand new 195s. It goes away after towing about 10 miles. Weird. I plan to get new wheels and tires anyway. I don't trust these bias ply tires at highway speed for many hours.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have this same problem on a brand new 195s. It goes away after towing about 10 miles. Weird. I plan to get new wheels and tires anyway. I don't trust these bias ply tires at highway speed for many hours.
The bias-ply tires get flat spots from sitting and the tire will round itself out after a few miles. I thought my tow rig was having issues. I put on Goodyear Endurance and smooth sailing.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Bias ply tires will flat spot overnight when parked warm. Radials will also flat spot from sitting but it takes much longer. When I put cars away for the winter, the tires either sit in cradles or the car sits on jack stands.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
also see if the tires are out of balance