• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm...it may be possible to add an additional panel or upsize the current one. Definitely something for an electrician to look into. If that’s not possible or practical, I wonder if you could use a switch to divert power to the charger when needed, simultaneously cutting power to the dryer?

Roadside chargers are rapidly expanding, so this is a temporary challenge to get past.
I agree. This is a temp challenge.

Saw a post on the Rivian subreddit that an R1S (SUV) reservation holder was told it will likely be 2024 before delivery of those begin. R1T's are already scheduled out into 2023 at this point and I don't even have a deposit down.

At this point I'm holding onto the Q7 for another year or so before I decide what I'm doing. I won't lie, I've been cross shopping with CPO Sierra Denali's in case the Q7 gets crashed or otherwise has to go.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, one thing is for certain. The renewed interest in innovation on the pickup truck front is nice to see.

Rivian has the kitchenette that slides out, and the tent you can put on top (making it a daily driveable mini-camper), and now Ford is coming in with a "tailgating kit" of sorts.

These trucks certainly are doing more "stuff" than our granddads old pickups ever thought of :D

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea, there is not much space behind the 3rd row in the Q7. Our Traverse was TERRIBLE at that. Yukon didn't have a 3rd row, neither did the SS. I would suggest "flipping" the dogs and cargo. Put the cargo in the way back, and the dogs in the 3rd row. Even then, you're going to be tight on space with 2 adults and a baby's worth a "stuff".

I have a "dry bag" that I used in the pickup before I got a bed cover. Was like $50 from Amazon and it works great. We were going to make a trip to FL with the grandparents in the Traverse and would have used the dry bag and a hitch mount cargo tray to make it happen. Relatively inexpensive, and would have worked well.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a roof rack for the Audi. Really good chance I'll get a cargo tray for that to use on vacations with the dry bag moving forward. Our trip to FL with the boat in June has us using the boat like a cargo trailer. 3 adults 2 kids and one of the kids in a car seat didn't leave us enough room in the cabin for all out luggage. Then the boat was also full of crap like coolers, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. Honestly, I've been considering a small utility trailer for landscaping, home improvement, furniture, motorcycle/atv, etc use. That might be another option for you, a small 4x8 Harbor Freight style trailer with a gaggle of sealed totes on it is an easy way to make it happen.
Kinda the same thing. I'd like to be able to take all our stuff and the boat. I find the idea of paying 60k or more and having compromises. Maybe it's not a lot to some folks, but spending that much money on a car is a lot of money to me, and so I feel like I'm not going to buy something that doesn't check all my boxes.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, one thing is for certain. The renewed interest in innovation on the pickup truck front is nice to see.

Rivian has the kitchenette that slides out, and the tent you can put on top (making it a daily driveable mini-camper), and now Ford is coming in with a "tailgating kit" of sorts.

These trucks certainly are doing more "stuff" than our granddads old pickups ever thought of :D
Honestly I disagree. All that stuff is just marketing gimmicks that people might use once or twice, or be the one guy who wants it. The innovation needed in trucks is making them drive around town better/smaller, have heated and cooled cup holders, not ride so high that even me at 6'2 has to jump on a tire to reach into the bed, and look less goofy. Silverado, Titan, and ram are the only trucks out now that don't look goofy. The cyber truck looks like a piece of art the bidens would sell to a Chinese diplomat. The Rivian looks like what Suzuki would build for a cute truck. F150 has been looking worse each refresh since the 2015s. The new tundra... Bleh.

What's lacking in the truck market is focus on what trucks really get used for, vs the dreams they sell you them for.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly I disagree. All that stuff is just marketing gimmicks that people might use once or twice, or be the one guy who wants it. The innovation needed in trucks is making them drive around town better/smaller, have heated and cooled cup holders, not ride so high that even me at 6'2 has to jump on a tire to reach into the bed, and look less goofy. Silverado, Titan, and ram are the only trucks out now that don't look goofy. The cyber truck looks like a piece of art the bidens would sell to a Chinese diplomat. The Rivian looks like what Suzuki would build for a cute truck. F150 has been looking worse each refresh since the 2015s. The new tundra... Bleh.

What's lacking in the truck market is focus on what trucks really get used for, vs the dreams they sell you them for.
I'll agree to disagree here.

Styling is subjective. I think the Cybertruck is hideous, the Rivian is amazing, and the Lightning is more of the same as everyone else.

As to innovation and usability......what you described is almost exactly a Rivian. It's smaller than a typical fullsize, drives like a sports car, and doesn't require you to be 6'2" tall to enter with one step. Aside from the looks and thermally controlled cupholders, it does all those things you asked.

Sure, outdoor kitchens, tailgate kits, and those things are niche use cases, but there are other innovations that are included as well. Air suspension at all 4 corners. Unparalleled traction control. Hydraulicly linked dampers for dynamic roll control. Front facing camera for breakover angle vision. Tank turns. Giant front storage areas that are water tight and will charge your power tools while on site. Self driving aids that are not found in any other pickup.

The innovation of new features on these trucks in unmatched in the last decade of "me to" trucks and fancy tailgates that are more sizzle than steak. We're seeing real tangible gains in functionality here.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a KBB comparison from earlier this year, 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning vs. 2021 Rivian R1T Comparison.

I would also agree that styling is subjective. I will say the Rivian reminds me of a modern version of the 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac we once owned. While it was very stylish as the time, we ended up trading in the Sport Trac on a Jeep as my wife didn't like the truck-like handling of the Sport Trac, and I didn't like the uncharacteristic small bed.

My personal thoughts are that I do like the frunk on the F-150 better than the Rivian, as it's more like a car trunk and you don't have to lift your stuff so high (over the lip) and drop it into the frunk. Also, while I think the Rivian kitchen camp feature would be cool for off-road use, I would find the 54" long bed to be much to small for camping. I think where both trucks shine is in their technology and performance.

Tesla is certainly a leader when it comes to EV's, however, I don't know what Musk was thinking with the Cyber truck.

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Funny, my family has a 2010 sport Trac I've been driving this week. It's pretty close to the right size I think. Could be a little longer, because it's cramped with adults up front and a Carseat in back. I get none of that from the Rivian. It looks like those cheap Suzuki knockoffs of jeeps to me. That said, I hate when EVs look like EVs. They look much better when they look like regular cars. Audi is the best at making non derpy looking EVs, because they don't look any different from their regular cars, lol.

Honestly, the last innovation in the truck market was the avalanche, and it was brilliant.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, the last innovation in the truck market was the avalanche, and it was brilliant.
I agree here. A pickup built on a suburban chassis. Rode and drive like the big SUV, but had the usefulness of a pickup. Even had a 2500 version with the 8.1L gas engine that made over 500ft-lbs in factory trim. Could also get the Escalade EXT version that had all the fancyness packed in and maintained the utility. Sadly they killed it off due to poor sales numbers. Had a good friend that LOVED his Avalanches. I think he had like 4 or 5 of them over the years. Always loved that they had the same usecase and versatility as his fullsie 4 door pickups, but didn't ride like "hay wagons" when empty.
Here's a cool looking 2500 Avalanche. Video isn't great, but the opening shots are nice.

Probably the best version I've seen was the Duramax swapped Escalade EXT from the guys at Duraburb. Put a Duramax/Allison combo into a 2500 chassis Avalanche, then literally body swapped over an Escalade. Had to put a 2in body lift to get the escalade to fit, but then lowered the suspension 3 in to make it look REALLY close to stock. Put a tune on the engine and were getting something like 20mpg from it on the highway, but retained the 11k tow rating. Was a really cool setup, and I want to say they made like 2 or 3 of them.

The Rivian is honestly pretty close to a "baby avalanche" if you think about it. No mid gate, but has the same "unibody" feel with a more SUV chassis under it than the pickup it represents. Ridgeline and SportTrac have the same "feel" to them, but are decidedly midsized compared to the Rivian. SportTrac was an explorer chassis with a bed instead of a hatch. Ridgeline is a Pilot with a bed, or rather a hacked off hatch since it looks "unibody". Rivian and Ridgeline do share the same assinine spare tire storage idea of putting it under the bed floor. Hope you don't have anything in the bed when you get a flat, otherwise it's unpack, change, repack. I think this is a misstep for Rivian honestly as it also eliminates the option for a slide out tray in the bed that all the overland guys seem to like to access gear under the tent.

GMC made the Envoy XUV for awhile too that had that wacky retracting roof, and raiseable center wall to make a weatherproof open air "bed" out of the rear hatch of an SUV. I don't think the "look" helped it's case much either. Sales numbers weren't great and it didn't last long.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm growing a little concerned about the Rivian launch. There's a plethora of reviews from professional and Youtube reviewers using press vehicles, but even with a couple of hundred trucks in the wild, there appear to be no authentic owner reviews. I wonder if Rivian is preventing current owners from speaking about their vehicles? It would be easy to do since Rivian is only selling to their own employees at the moment, and they may have some language in the sales contract.

I was expecting to hear about owner range tests, charging experiences, acceleration runs, long distance road trip experiences, etc... Instead, silence. It's weird. Any time a new Tesla is released you see owners post every rave and nitpick about it, but nothing from the current Rivian owners. I was hoping to hear the suspension issues, glitchy software, and rolling bed cover had all been fixed.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Funny, my family has a 2010 sport Trac I've been driving this week. It's pretty close to the right size I think. Could be a little longer, because it's cramped with adults up front and a Carseat in back. I get none of that from the Rivian. It looks like those cheap Suzuki knockoffs of jeeps to me. That said, I hate when EVs look like EVs. They look much better when they look like regular cars. Audi is the best at making non derpy looking EVs, because they don't look any different from their regular cars, lol.

This is why the make so many different models, as we all have different wants and needs. The Avalanche never tickled my fancy as for my use it suffered the same drawbacks as the Sport Trac, limited room for hauling stuff. When we load up the trailer with the three UTV's, between all the UTV accessories, coolers, and personal items, I can fill up the back of my Ram truck. Also, like the fact that with the cap on the back, I can lie down in the bed of the truck if I desire. For these reasons, I prefer the Ford 150 over the Rivian. However, if someone is hauling as much stuff as I, then I see why the Rivian is a great choice.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm growing a little concerned about the Rivian launch. There's a plethora of reviews from professional and Youtube reviewers using press vehicles, but even with a couple of hundred trucks in the wild, there appear to be no authentic owner reviews. I wonder if Rivian is preventing current owners from speaking about their vehicles? It would be easy to do since Rivian is only selling to their own employees at the moment, and they may have some language in the sales contract.

I was expecting to hear about owner range tests, charging experiences, acceleration runs, long distance road trip experiences, etc... Instead, silence. It's weird. Any time a new Tesla is released you see owners post every rave and nitpick about it, but nothing from the current Rivian owners. I was hoping to hear the suspension issues, glitchy software, and rolling bed cover had all been fixed.
Agreed.

We are starting to see them in the wild, but aren't hearing much feedback yet. My understanding is that celebrities/people of influence and employees are the only ones to receive them just yet. I half wonder if they are doing a "hidden beta" or something like that, where they are technically shipping orders, but only to a select few to continue to iron out the bugs. Much like what you're saying.

I'm literally |..| that close to putting down a deposit. I just want to hear some real world towing power consumption numbers to be certain.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh shoot. i didn't know the had an SUV one as well. I would love to know the space in the third row. This may make me jump over from my model S. Or better yet, replace my Expedition with it

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh shoot. i didn't know the had an SUV one as well. I would love to know the space in the third row. This may make me jump over from my model S. Or better yet, replace my Expedition with it
Hope that expedition has some miles left in it. Word on the street is that the R1S's won't start delivery until 2024 at this point.

I also haven't seen any at the first drive events yet, so I'm guessing they are still somewhat in development.

They do have enough tow rating to drag your 242 around though, which should fit your use case well enough.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hope that expedition has some miles left in it. Word on the street is that the R1S's won't start delivery until 2024 at this point.

I also haven't seen any at the first drive events yet, so I'm guessing they are still somewhat in development.

They do have enough tow rating to drag your 242 around though, which should fit your use case well enough.
Was looking more into it. 7700 towing enough? Also, current expedition is a lease, up next year, we are unsure of what to do next.

Cool times, probably get into another ICE vehicle and let these first gen toys iron themselves out.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Cool times...weird times. Seems like delivery challenges are across the board. If your lease is up next year, it may be a good idea to get in line soon for whatever you choose as a replacement (ICE or otherwise), or buy out the Expedition. I'm not aware of any EV truck you could get in line with a deposit now and expect delivery before 2024.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cool times...weird times. Seems like delivery challenges are across the board. If your lease is up next year, it may be a good idea to get in line soon for whatever you choose as a replacement (ICE or otherwise), or buy out the Expedition. I'm not aware of any EV truck you could get in line with a deposit now and expect delivery before 2024.
I actually fancy the newly refreshed expedition

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was looking more into it. 7700 towing enough? Also, current expedition is a lease, up next year, we are unsure of what to do next.

Cool times, probably get into another ICE vehicle and let these first gen toys iron themselves out.
Yea, I think 7,700 is enough. Depends on where they put the GCVWR.....I'll look into it and figure it out. Figure your 242LS is somewhere around 5,500 or so if I remember right.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea, I think 7,700 is enough. Depends on where they put the GCVWR.....I'll look into it and figure it out. Figure your 242LS is somewhere around 5,500 or so if I remember right.
yes. Plus all the shit we carry along for 3 kids haha

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes. Plus all the shit we carry along for 3 kids haha
Yea I get that.

If you get a chance and have a free few minutes I highly recommend going across a CAT scale. Cost $12 to get weighed. I got weighed twice. Once with and once without the boat attached. With those two sets of numbers you get vehicle weight, tongue weight, and trailer weight. I did it all from my phone with the CAT Scales app and it took maybe 20 minutes. Longest part was dropping the boat in a parking spot, and rehooking it. Well worth the money and time IMO.

Here's the results if you're curious.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea I get that.

If you get a chance and have a free few minutes I highly recommend going across a CAT scale. Cost $12 to get weighed. I got weighed twice. Once with and once without the boat attached. With those two sets of numbers you get vehicle weight, tongue weight, and trailer weight. I did it all from my phone with the CAT Scales app and it took maybe 20 minutes. Longest part was dropping the boat in a parking spot, and rehooking it. Well worth the money and time IMO.

Here's the results if you're curious.
had to google CAT scale. While the initial results are funny, now I know what you are talking about it. Thanks! I'll look into it.