• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Again, a bit louder for the people in the back.....Tesla isn't a car company. They're a tech and data company that happens to sell cars. Using their valuation as a comparison with other car companies is a misstep in economic evaluation both in value, demand, and a myriad of other factors.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Better to read nothing, than read the ramblings of a fool.
ROFL!!! Great comeback! When you have literally no idea what you're talking about, just insult people. That'll show 'em, lol. You do realize you're only demonstrating who the fool is? To paraphrase an old saying: "Better to look like a fool than to write a post and remove all doubt."

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Again, a bit louder for the people in the back.....Tesla isn't a car company. They're a tech and data company that happens to sell cars. Using their valuation as a comparison with other car companies is a misstep in economic evaluation both in value, demand, and a myriad of other factors.
I'll agree that Tesla is more than a car company. However, saying they just happen to sell cars is not accurate. Their vertical supply structure certainly helps with both their valuation and their innovation, which in turn has driven their valuation. However, without the massive demand for EVs, Tesla would not exist today. It is an inarguable fact the demand for Tesla cars--all EVs actually--is rising dramatically, to the point where they cannot keep up with the demand despite massive increases in production. It is also an inarguable fact the legacy car makers are seeing demand for their ice vehicles drop so much that several have ceased making ICE cars altogether, except for a few niche vehicles like the Mustang. It is possible, even likely, that we are looking at the last generation of both the Mustang and the Corvette, at least the ICE versions of those cars.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nakk Tesla developed the demand by turning an EV from a science experiment into something people would actually want to drive. Thier marketing is slim to none, and they have customer loyalty akin to Apple. Car companies don't charge $12k for beta level software packages. The tangible product they sell is a car, however they, in general, do not operate like a traditional car company, they operate like a data and software company.

So, because of the significantly different business model, it's hard to value them as a car company. Likewise, the valuation reflects much more closely with other software companies that happen to produce their own hardware. Cisco is another good example of similar paradigm, they had a great idea but had to make their own hardware to get it across the goal line. Pure Storage did this as well.

Apple has similar lines, however they have always been a hardware maker, so the comparison isn't quite as clear. However, the marketing strategy, and the brand loyalty built be Tesla just screams the same as Apple. People will vehemently defend them, for no other reason than a perceived superiority. Compare a Thinkpad to a MacBook. Both are premium level, extremely competent machines with fanatical user bases. Most people have no idea what a Thinkpad looks like though and will argue that the MacBook is inherently better, because Apple.......Tesla gets the same ride. There are number of similar performing EVs out there now, but Tesla was first on scene and the rest of the industry is in react mode, same as Apple. You still have a LOT of people that think a Model whatever is best, because Tesla.

Point being, you can't value a multi faceted product company like Tesla the same as you can a legacy automaker. The money made doesn't come from the same (or standard) streams.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, I won't disagree with you with what you've said here. However, the core business is still building cars, just in a very different way than legacy automakers. (i.e. tech and software as you've pointed out.) Tesla is also an energy company, producing, and distributing "fuel" (electricity) as well as selling energy production equipment both commercially and residentially. But rather than defining Tesla as different than a car company, I'd argue that Tesla is redefining what a car company is. Look at Ford's corporate restructuring; Jim Farley is at the very least partially convinced of this as well. It's obvious he realizes that Ford has to change the way they do business if they are to survive. Regardless, it is the current demand and future perceived demand for EVs that is driving Tesla's valuation. EVs are the core business of Tesla, and everything else is built on that. But yes, Tesla is not at all like a legacy automaker. That's why it's valued so highly. Legacy automakers will either make the shift to follow Tesla's lead, or they will disappear. That, of course, is merely my opinion. Apparently though, a number of Legacy CEOs are of the same opinion.

I don't think you and I actually disagree on the reasons for Tesla's valuation, so much as our opinions on what a car company will have to be differ. I will say that though our opinions differ there, it seems to me that your opinion is a well reasoned one based on sound facts.

gkallevig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
ROFL!!! Great comeback! When you have literally no idea what you're talking about, just insult people. That'll show 'em, lol. You do realize you're only demonstrating who the fool is? To paraphrase an old saying: "Better to look like a fool than to write a post and remove all doubt."
First, you insulted me first on this whole thread. I merely mentioned the state of EV's nearly 3 years after your original post. You've been by far the most insulting, arrogant little shit on this entire thread.
second: "Better to look like a fool than to write a post and remove all doubt.", you basically just used what i said, which you said was stupid.
third: there's NO WAY i can possibly win this keyboard war with you. Its obvious you love this kind of shit and are willing to put way more time and effort into it than me. i'm not writing you a novel response.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, you insulted me first on this whole thread. I merely mentioned the state of EV's nearly 3 years after your original post. You've been by far the most insulting, arrogant little shit on this entire thread.
second: "Better to look like a fool than to write a post and remove all doubt.", you basically just used what i said, which you said was stupid.
third: there's NO WAY i can possibly win this keyboard war with you. Its obvious you love this kind of shit and are willing to put way more time and effort into it than me. i'm not writing you a novel response.
No, First you wrote an insulting and condescending post. Then you lied about what I wrote. (Timeline.) So after that you expect me to be polite to you? Even then, I just called your mistakes out. I never called you a name, or even insulted you. I just pointed out how far off of reality your comments were.

I'll even admit we both got off on the wrong foot here. I'll apologize for not PMing you instead of going public. That was rude to you and to everyone else on the board. I am sorry about that. How about you apologize and we both delete/edit all of our posts here.

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of power consumption (in kw-hr/mi) are you seeing towing that 190 around?
sorry i know this is old, i just saw it, i notice around a 30-40% decrease

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry i know this is old, i just saw it, i notice around a 30-40% decrease
Do you happen to know what the actual usage is? or at least a close guess?

No worries on the timing. Late data is better than no data :D :D

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you happen to know what the actual usage is? or at least a close guess?

No worries on the timing. Late data is better than no data :D :D
im about to head out to the lake in an hour, i can report back tomorrow, i believe i use around 700-800wh/mi when towing, compared to my normal 350-400. so i guess its actually closer to half range, i normally start with 213ish miles or range at a 90% charge of the 90k battery. I drive it with towing and range mode enabled

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
im about to head out to the lake in an hour, i can report back tomorrow, i believe i use around 700-800wh/mi when towing, compared to my normal 350-400. so i guess its actually closer to half range, i normally start with 213ish miles or range at a 90% charge of the 90k battery. I drive it with towing and range mode enabled
Awesome. Thanks for the report back. Appreciate the efforts on collecting data!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
722 is probably higher than I would expect, though running at 400 on average that makes sense.

Our Model 3 ran about 315 on avg, which I thought was high. Seemed avg. over on Tesla forums was mid-high 200s.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
722 is probably higher than I would expect, though running at 400 on average that makes sense.

Our Model 3 ran about 315 on avg, which I thought was high. Seemed avg. over on Tesla forums was mid-high 200s.
I've been doing all my EV tow planning around 750 or 1,000. Figure the Silverado is going to be less aero than the ModelX by a bit. Then add in people/gear/etc. Glad to hear some real world results in a similar range.

I'm figuring around 450 or so for my mostly highway commute.

Assuming I win the lottery to pay for the damn thing that is :D :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I wish I could post technical numbers on the Jeep. I just know what my % used is after a trip to the ramp.

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are for our SR+ and LR model 3s
IMG_20220414_101331.jpgIMG_20220414_101426.jpg

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
trying to convince the wife into getting a jetski to pull behind the 3 lol

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
trying to convince the wife into getting a jetski to pull behind the 3 lol
I pulled a pair of Yamaha FHXOs on an aluminum trailer (around 2200#) behind our 3.

Barely noticed they were there but increased the interstate (~75mph) wh/mi from 290 to 530. Too tall.