• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR-1 Max RPM's

The Good Guy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was able to obtain an electronic copy of the Factory Service Manual and confirmed TR-1's max rpm are 8000. Yes water temp, salinity, etc. will affect rpm, but when both are in the same boat, same water, I would assume they would operate roughly the same. I also learned there's an diagnostic mode on the multifunction display that provides data, including rpm's, that I can confirm if the rpm analog gauges are reading correctly. There's also adjustments that can be made to the cables at the helm, as well as, a series of voltage and ohm checks to the TPS and APS to determine if they are functioning correctly. As I'm researching this stuff, I'm thinking why the h*ll am I doing this on a 14 hour boat with a 3 year warranty! I may try dealer again or find another one.

Is anyone else's throttles this out of whack or am I being unreasonable to expect them to be more synchronized? I've operated a lot of twins and never experienced this. Maybe some fine tuning once at speed, but the adjustments are minute and just performed to bring the engines in acoustical balance to eliminates some engine drone (mainly diesels).

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine are completely out of adjustment just like yours, I said the same thing about #Warranty and that’s why it is at the dealer I’ll report back when I get my boat back. I always use the Connex screen to get the motors synchronized. Of course once you get them about 100 rpm’s apart you get that beautiful hum.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine are completely out of adjustment just like yours, I said the same thing about #Warranty and that’s why it is at the dealer I’ll report back when I get my boat back. I always use the Connex screen to get the motors synchronized. Of course once you get them about 100 rpm’s apart you get that beautiful hum.
8 hours on my new 2020 210 FSH, port engine wot is 8000 rpms starboard wot is 7500 But after break-in both did turn 8000 rpms until my way back in from aprox 4 hrs of no-wake mode trolling. Hopefully dealer can do something at the 10 hr service to correct that.

Liveto99 - How did you get the Connex screen to display engine rpms? I must be missing something.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 2020 are different, but on the older ones the RPM’s are displayed in the bottom corners while engines are running.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The 2020 are different, but on the older ones the RPM’s are displayed in the bottom corners while engines are running.
Well CRAP that is not cool - I don't like looking at the pitiful analog gauges - I really wish there where setup choices, I don't need to stare at the volt meters on the lower corners of mine. Thanks for the reply!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Play with a touchscreen you should be able to change what is displayed you may have to read your instruction book but I’m pretty sure you can get them to display. Mine is a 2018 it is the default screen.
OK whenever I have trouble with RPMs now I just change the plugs and it straightens right out I think you only get like 40 hours out of a set of plugs I have no clue why they look fine but you change them and it’s magic.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Play with a touchscreen you should be able to change what is displayed you may have to read your instruction book but I’m pretty sure you can get them to display. Mine is a 2018 it is the default screen.
OK whenever I have trouble with RPMs now I just change the plugs and it straightens right out I think you only get like 40 hours out of a set of plugs I have no clue why they look fine but you change them and it’s magic.
Cant see that it's even a choice on Connex at all. Thanks for the info.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know this thread is 18 months old, but I’m really frustrated with the intermittent port engine performance on my 2013 242 Limited. Max RPM on the Starboard engine can hit 7,500 at a lake elevation of about 1,300 feet. The port engine can only produce 6,000 RPM. Yes the cables are properly adjusted, yes the oil, plugs and air filters are fine. Here’s the kicker, when I started out yesterday heading across the lake the port engine suddenly jumped up to about 7,500 RPM WOT matching beautifully the Starboard engine, for a long run across the lake hitting 45 MPH with 4 big men in the boat. After stoping for lunch, the rest of the day I could only get 5,900 RPM out of the Port engine for max 30 MPH, although Starboard still will run 7,500 WOT. I know nothing about the EFI and Electronics of the ECU but I’m hoping someone can weigh in on this mystery.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Plugs
happons after around 40 to 50 hours with mine. They look fine but change them and see. There is more load on that side so it shows more.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In the service manual there are checks on the TPS and the Throttle itself... the fact that your port engine achieved higher rpm’s and then went back down to me does not indicate plugs.

If I was in your position I’d have a trained mechanic check the electronic throttle component. In my shop manual it stares that if a test is not good on a component to replace with new.

The TR-1’s in my boat are within a couple hundred rpm of each other at Max throttle 7200 port 7000 starboard... I had adjusted the throttle cables so that each TPS are touching the mechanical stops but what has become apparent is that full throttle is achieved well before the mechanical stops are reached.

I had adjusted the throttle cables in an attempt to regain rpm’s lost due to a location change-higher altitude-from where I had test drove the boat at. I also changed the plugs and in my case there was very little difference.

At this point I apply full throttle and when the boat has topped out the port engine is at 7200 rpms and the starboard is at 7000 rpm’s. I slowly start working the port throttle back until motors are synched at 7000 and there is no top speed change, roughly 33 mph. Then I’ll bring them both down to 6000 for cruising at 27/28 mph. That’s 7.8 gph vs. 17.8 gph. I’ve got 45 hours on the engines now. Oil levels are correct, air filters clean and oil free...

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both of Mine hit 7800 and 7500 consistently. Oil at a good level. Good Gas. Good Plugs. Jet's and fins aligned. Throttle linkage hitting the stops clean.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dannng! You’re moving right along!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They should be at 8K
New plugs every 50 hours
They should be at 8k, although it appears that most never see that on the TR-1's.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
According to another poster here on this site on another thread... Yamaha Tech told this person that it is 8K plus or minus 500 rpm. The most I have seen on my boat has been 7400 rpm and 43mph when I test drove it with 1 hour on the engines And just a short run up to max.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was able to obtain an electronic copy of the Factory Service Manual and confirmed TR-1's max rpm are 8000. Yes water temp, salinity, etc. will affect rpm, but when both are in the same boat, same water, I would assume they would operate roughly the same. I also learned there's an diagnostic mode on the multifunction display that provides data, including rpm's, that I can confirm if the rpm analog gauges are reading correctly. There's also adjustments that can be made to the cables at the helm, as well as, a series of voltage and ohm checks to the TPS and APS to determine if they are functioning correctly. As I'm researching this stuff, I'm thinking why the h*ll am I doing this on a 14 hour boat with a 3 year warranty! I may try dealer again or find another one.

Is anyone else's throttles this out of whack or am I being unreasonable to expect them to be more synchronized? I've operated a lot of twins and never experienced this. Maybe some fine tuning once at speed, but the adjustments are minute and just performed to bring the engines in acoustical balance to eliminates some engine drone (mainly diesels).

View attachment 93357
Were you able to make any progress on this issue ?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to hit 8,000 RPM's on my TR-1's. They just don't seem to want to do it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length