• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer brake overheating

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced all the rotors, calipers and brakes (used two Dexter kits) on my trailer, now it seems that the brakes are too tight if that makes any sense, I just trailered 3 miles and when I stopped the starboard side brakes were smoking, port side warm nut not near as hot as starboard. Bearings are not too tight, any suggestions on what the issue could be?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Assuming the calipers are free to slide, and that the pistons in the caliper were pushed all the way back in when you serviced the brakes, it sounds like the pads or rotors are too thick.

Did you buy the parts listed in your trailer manual?
Did the pads slip easily over the rotor when you re assembled the brakes?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As rare as it might be, it could also be a faulty caliper not letting the piston release. As @FSH 210 Sport asked, did the brakes slide easily over the calipers? If so, it should be either the sliders or a faulty caliper. You could swap calipers, and see if the problem follows the caliper, but that's easier said than done.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you do anything with your actuator? inspect it? They love to corrode and stick. If you push in on it does it extend back out? if it doesn't you may have a bad strut and spring on your actuator, and or all the above. Also, do a bleed on the system.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Assuming the calipers are free to slide, and that the pistons in the caliper were pushed all the way back in when you serviced the brakes, it sounds like the pads or rotors are too thick.

Did you buy the parts listed in your trailer manual?
Did the pads slip easily over the rotor when you re assembled the brakes?
Everything was turning freely after installation, even worked great for a couple 10-20-km trips

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you do anything with your actuator? inspect it? They love to corrode and stick. If you push in on it does it extend back out? if it doesn't you may have a bad strut and spring on your actuator, and or all the above. Also, do a bleed on the system.
Had the solenoid, shock and emergency brake cable replaced at trailer shop and brakes were bled during install using the ratch strap method on actuator.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Maybe they forgot to clean the oil off the starboard rotor before installing.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Provided everything is assembled correctly, Could be a poor brake bleed job (air still in system). I have also seen where your boat tongue is not level and improperly configured on the hitch in a downward orientation. This creates a gravity braking problem where the boat is falling forward at slow speeds and applying the brakes. Make sure the boat rides slightly above level when attached to the vehicle. Just an idea. Please let us know what it was when you figure it out.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Provided everything is assembled correctly, Could be a poor brake bleed job (air still in system). I have also seen where your boat tongue is not level and improperly configured on the hitch in a downward orientation. This creates a gravity braking problem where the boat is falling forward at slow speeds and applying the brakes. Make sure the boat rides slightly above level when attached to the vehicle. Just an idea. Please let us know what it was when you figure it out.
Why would air in the brake line cause my issue? I will check the levelness next time I connect the boa trailer and truck.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No other thoughts