• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Brake Questions/Help

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In May 17 I purchased a 2017 AR195 from Cycle Springs in Clearwater Florida. From what I gather the average 19ft Yamaha comes with a trailer that has NO brakes, but the dealer opted for an upgraded Shorelander trailer with surge brakes. As we enter our 6th summer of use, the brutal salt water and florida sun have completely rusted the trailer rotors, calipers, pads. It is all a seized mess and I am almost 100% certain they are not functioning at all anymore. We are on the list for a 25ft but I fear that day wont come until 2023. I am not comfortable going into this spring with the rusted mess, but I also do not think it is necessary for the surge brakes. I drive on all flat land and tow with a sturdy Silverado that has way more pulling and stopping power than is needed for a boat of this size. My question to the rest of the owners out there is, who has a 19ft yamaha on a trailer with NO brakes? Has anyone converted to brakeless?

thanks,

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
In May 17 I purchased a 2017 AR195 from Cycle Springs in Clearwater Florida. From what I gather the average 19ft Yamaha comes with a trailer that has NO brakes, but the dealer opted for an upgraded Shorelander trailer with surge brakes. As we enter our 6th summer of use, the brutal salt water and florida sun have completely rusted the trailer rotors, calipers, pads. It is all a seized mess and I am almost 100% certain they are not functioning at all anymore. We are on the list for a 25ft but I fear that day wont come until 2023. I am not comfortable going into this spring with the rusted mess, but I also do not think it is necessary for the surge brakes. I drive on all flat land and tow with a sturdy Silverado that has way more pulling and stopping power than is needed for a boat of this size. My question to the rest of the owners out there is, who has a 19ft yamaha on a trailer with NO brakes? Has anyone converted to brakeless?

thanks,
The 19 foot yamahas have surge brakes

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, I was misinformed. So with that, has anyone replaced them?

I believe this is what I need

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn’t know that either. You could temporarily disable yours without removing anything permanent with some of those magnetic lockout insert things and maybe pull your pads too.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Something else to consider, besides whether your tow vehicle can stop the load without trailer brakes, is that I believe in Florida all trailers (with loads) over 3,000 lbs need to be equipped with brakes.

I would offer to just go ahead and get the brakes repaired, as you will either pay for it now or take a hit when you decide to sell the AR195 when the new boat comes in.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

thanks,
Only the 195 series got brakes, the 190 series did NOT. My '17 AR190 does NOT have brakes for certain, and I bought it brand new with the wrapper still on it.

I scaled my AR190 with all it's gear last spring at 3,200lbs. Research your state laws to see what is mandatory. For me, Indiana is a 3,500lb lower limit. For KY right across the river there is no requirement at all (Yay farm implement loophole).

I've towed my 190 with a Traverse, Trailblazer SS, Sierra, Q7, and a Titan. NONE of those vehicles had any issue stopping, however the Sierra had the worst brakes of the bunch.

If I was in your shoes I would fix the system. It's not terribly expensive, and it's good piece of mind. I've been considering putting electrics on my 190 for years, but haven't pulled the trigger on that just yet.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you haven't greased and maintained them, you probably need bearings too.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No idea if it was this way with that trailer, but my trailer uses off-the-shelf brake components from a Kia vehicle. I'm willing to bet if you're buying brake parts that are labeled "Shorelander", you're overpaying for them. See if you can track down the manual on your trailer to see if they note some such thing, as that's exactly where I found this information - the manual. Check to see if Shorelander has the manual on their site, or if anyone else has the same type of trailer, etc.

Another thing to consider about NOT doing the brakes - if you were to get into an accident, even if it weren't your fault, what's the potential for damages of a trailer that had no operational brakes? While your vehicle may tow it just fine, weird things happen in accidents, and the potential for a trailer with 3000+ lbs to get sideways and do supernatural things that you can no longer control seems like it would be...concerning.

Doing the brakes would also be another thing I'd want to see the manual about. Track that thing down, if at all possible.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Be careful with trailer brakes and rust. The calipers will seize closed onto the rotors and prevent the wheels from moving at all. Luckily for me, both times it happened was in my driveway. I sure wouldn't want to have this happen at the ramp or on the highway.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Another thing to consider about NOT doing the brakes - if you were to get into an accident, even if it weren't your fault, what's the potential for damages of a trailer that had no operational brakes?
Yup brakes are there and must be operational. Just like lights, if they're there they have to work.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you take it easy you should be okay. That being said it is rather straight forward to change the brakes yourself. Rotors, pads, calibers and even hoses. One question you probably should ask yourself is the trailer condition aside from the brakes. If the brake componets are eaten up, how is the rest of your trailer holding up ?????

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
rest of the trailer seems fine, I replaced the u bolt shackles for the leaf springs last year with all new hardware as the original stuff was pretty rusty.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would get Stainless Rotors and Calipers

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
rest of the trailer seems fine, I replaced the u bolt shackles for the leaf springs last year with all new hardware as the original stuff was pretty rusty.
Granted I have disk brakes on both my axles, i would says that if you are being careful you should be okay without.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get Stainless Rotors and Calipers
from what I can find there is only one option and that is stock shorelander replacement stuff

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
from what I can find there is only one option and that is stock shorelander replacement stuff
My painted Shoreland'r trailer has stainless or galvanized brake parts from the factory. They should have replacements. Did you put in your trailer serial number to locate parts?

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes and I linked the parts above, they might actually be stainless

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

thanks,
I'm going through the same issue myself (also in Tampa Florida). Your boat is light enough to not violate the 3k Florida law requiring brakes. The brake unit looked okay, however the hydraulic presser on the caliper was rusted out and all of the pads had disintegrated. The master hydraulic unit by the tongue was also experiencing issues. I did everything I was suppose to do with salt washes and greasing and it made little dent against the Bay's salt. The Shorelander trailer itself also has many galvanized and zinc components (why??????) in need of replacing after only three years of usage, so now I'm going through a trailer overhaul.

Removing the brake system causes some challenges at the tongue. The tongue is meant to slide to activate the braking, so welding or drilling and bolting the tongue to not slide is...well fun. Removing the outer brake caliper uses a 7mm Hex Key. The inner caliber uses another hex system that I cannot get into without removing the axle springs. You cannot replace your hubs with the caliber on, so it's a bigger job of removing the springs (which needs replacing now anyway). My plan is to replace every bolts, u-bolt, springs, and hubs with stainless steel.

Braking - I do not feel any difference with braking before and after as I believe the brake system failed early on and was not functional after the first year maybe two. I have a tundra 5.7 and just don't feel the boat much back there anyway. Hard braking certainly would matter if the system was functional, but is it worth the expense of replacing all of that gear every two years to have the trailer brakes? Just drive with a little more distance if it concerns you.

McCrayCoastal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am experiencing this right now - a rusted mess. Also, the lug nut is rotating with the lug so I have to break the nut off or drill through it. I'm doing all of this so I can trade my boat in Key Largo next week but have to wait on parts and do the repair myself. It's been such a hassle.