• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling motor size

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I'm looking at installing a trolling motor this spring. Looking at a 80lb , 24v and just wondering if that's enough for the boat. Also is there any reason not to purchase the on mount?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a the same specs trolling motor on my 19 FSH using the Yamaha mount. I have no complaints. The motor can easily anchor me during the peak of the tide currents in the salt creeks and sounds, and we have 8 foot tides - usually with some wind.
However, I do not use the trolling motor to actually troll large areas. I tend to hold and move around in smaller areas.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks Elliott. What model did you buy?

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had a Minn Kota 80 lbs thrust, then was able to switch to 112 lbs. Both worked, but with the 112 lbs, I can use spot lock in the Sac. River. The 36 volt, 3 battery system lasts all day. I feel the 112 lbs is a better match.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
80# - 24V here as well. Two Group 27 Optima Blue tops. Works well in everything I've ever been in.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW - I have the following batteries dedicated to the trolling motor, and they have a shore powered charger installed in the engine bay. The batteries are located under the right jump seat (to balance the cranking and house batteries on the left side on the boat). For my needs, the batteries have plenty of reserve power after a day on the water.

X2 Power Battery
SLI31AGMDPM 12v Group 31 AGM

Leonidas514

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've got a 210 and my 80# 24V Motor Guide works great. It'll pull the boat along at about 4 MPH on high and does very well. The mount on the 210 sucks but that's another story.

Andrew Mac

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the 112 lb Riptide. I would rather have a little extra power than wanting more after the fact.
Are you fishing the 190 fsh or the 210 fsh? Shaft length?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Are you fishing the 190 fsh or the 210 fsh? Shaft length?
Hi Andrew,

I have the Riptide Ulterra 112# thrust with the 60” shaft on my 21’ FSH. If the the waves are bigger I run it down fully to help keep the prop in the water, but most of the time not all the way down.

After putting a few hundred hours on it last summer I can say that I’m very pleased with its performance. The spot lock holds the boat in place in high winds without a problem. When using your spot lock on a windy day, it helps if you start out with bow pointed into the wind. That keeps it from hunting around until the bow is in the wind.

If you have a Humminbird Helix or Solix control head, the riptide Ulterra can be controlled with the control head and with a lake master map chip the troller can perform other navigational feats via the control head, such as contour follow. Pretty awesome set up.

Also, as others have mentioned, with the 36 Volt battery bank, I can use my troller all day and still have at least 1/3 battery power left over.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I'm looking at installing a trolling motor this spring. Looking at a 80lb , 24v and just wondering if that's enough for the boat. Also is there any reason not to purchase the on mount?
TW,

was just going through threads and found yours ... what set up did you end up with?

Andrew Mac

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi Andrew,

I have the Riptide Ulterra 112# thrust with the 60” shaft on my 21’ FSH. If the the waves are bigger I run it down fully to help keep the prop in the water, but most of the time not all the way down.

After putting a few hundred hours on it last summer I can say that I’m very pleased with its performance. The spot lock holds the boat in place in high winds without a problem. When using your spot lock on a windy day, it helps if you start out with bow pointed into the wind. That keeps it from hunting around until the bow is in the wind.

If you have a Humminbird Helix or Solix control head, the riptide Ulterra can be controlled with the control head and with a lake master map chip the troller can perform other navigational feats via the control head, such as contour follow. Pretty awesome set up.

Also, as others have mentioned, with the 36 Volt battery bank, I can use my troller all day and still have at least 1/3 battery power left over.
Thank you Sir! Much appreciated info!!