• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I thought I would do a Y.T.D. ish update of all the mods and upgrades done since purchase last year. This is what she looked like, last year two months after purchase on July 4th, 2018.

20180704_210332_1538221616475.jpg

And yesterday July 14th, 2019

20190714_170614.jpg

Here is the difference on the 4th this year. Same flags and side of boat for reference.

20190629_152444.jpg

Mods, repairs and upgrades from the get go.

1. Clean the whole boat inside and out
2. Oxidation removal from the hull and apply wax.
3. Had custom rudder bushing made from Delrin and installed.
4. Upgraded the anchor from a 16# Danforth to a 22# lewmar plow style.
5. New folding Lewmar 48" folding wheel.
6. New 1 1/4" angle pedestal guard to replace existing 1" straight pedestal guard. Holds the Navpod and allows consealment of all wiring.
7. Mounted Navpod on pedestal guard to house instruments.
8. Raymarine Axiom 9RV.
9. Raymarine wind instrument with masthead transducer.
10. Raymarine RV-200 thruhull transducer.
11. Raymarine EV-100 auto pilot.
12. New Davis windex wind vane.
13. Added a new vinyl Red stripe to hull below the toe rail.
14. Remaming ceremony and added new graphic to hull.
15. New Maxprop Easy 3-blade feathering prop. to replace 2-blade folding Gori prop.
16. New Lewmar V1 windlass.
17. New cockpit Teak to replace broken and worn out existing teak.
18. Refinished 28YO existing cockpit table to match new cockpit teak.
19. Installed spreader lights.
20. New registration Vinyl graphic #'s.
21. New mainsail cover.
22. New dodger, bimini and cockpit shade cover, with all new 1" SS frames.
23. New stemhead fitting to replace bent one. The genoa sail furler is attached to it on the bow.
24. Rebedded port side portlights, they leaked.

I am sure there are a few I missed. All was DIY except rudder bushing, thru hull transducer swap and canvas/frames. If you can't tell, I am very happy with the outcome. We love hanging out in the cockpit now. I call it the "Lanai".

Soon to add to the list...

New Blue Sea 4 bkr.+ main 120v AC shore power bkr. pnl. to match existing DC pnl., whenever it becomes available. Backordered.
New S.S. fittings to replace the black iron and galv. fittings used by a PO to plumb in the hot water heater.

20190715_143404.jpg

And lastly, for now, swapping out the old Renogy 100w rigid, heavy, solar panel and controller for a new SunPower 110w flexible, very light, solar panel and controller, installed with velcro tabs sewn onto the bimini.

20190715_104819.jpg20190715_105455.jpg The controller has enough capacity to add another 110w and a 50w panel if we see it as necessary in the future.

"That's All Folks". 🤙

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is an astonishing and very impressive list!

Not to mention excellent handiwork and great, continuous thread updates over the last year!

Once those those final mods are complete @zipper, let me know and I'll be ready to take delivery of her.:winkingthumbsup"

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I finally recieved the Blue Sea 120V AC shore power panel to replace the existing 3-breaker AC panel. I had initially ordered a 4-breaker + Main, but it has been backordered for months. I decided to look for another AC panel on-line and found this 6-breaker + main, in stock. It will leave 2 open breakers for future, if needed. It was important to me to find a panel that matched the existing DC panel, as they will be positioned next to one another. They currently are not. The AC panel is at your knees as you sit at the Nav. station, not a great location. I also recieved labels for both AC & DC panels to relabel the breaker for the spreader lights on the DC panel and add a 20a bkr. for an induction stove top in the galley.
Oh, and the T-shirt this stuff is sitting on. If there was one in "Yamaha" I would buy one also.

20190726_230324.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"That's All Folks".
That's incredible, a real transformation. Amazing work you two!!

Time to plan that round-the-world trip and visit her home, Hawaii?

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is an astonishing and very impressive list!

Not to mention excellent handiwork and great, continuous thread updates over the last year!

Once those those final mods are complete @zipper, let me know and I'll be ready to take delivery of her.:winkingthumbsup"
That's incredible, a real transformation. Amazing work you two!!

Time to plan that round-the-world trip and visit her home, Hawaii?

--
Thank You both, a lot learned and accomplished in a short time. "Old dogs can learn new tricks". We have been complimented by owners of much newer boats than ours at the Marina. They can not believe it is a 28 YO boat and several have told us they thought it was new. You can see it in their expressions, just shy of jaw dropping, when we tell them and then back it up with the survey pictures from Spring 2018.

As far as that "round-the-world trip and visit her home, Hawaii"..."we are gonna need a bigger boat". :winkingthumbsup"
Until then, this is our little piece of Hawaii in Vermont. Mahalo 🤙

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank You both, a lot learned and accomplished in a short time. "Old dogs can learn new tricks". We have been complimented by owners of much newer boats than ours at the Marina. They can not believe it is a 28 YO boat and several have told us they thought it was new. You can see it in their expressions, just shy of jaw dropping, when we tell them and then back it up with the survey pictures from Spring 2018.

As far as that "round-the-world trip and visit her home, Hawaii"..."we are gonna need a bigger boat". :winkingthumbsup"
Until then, this is our little piece of Hawaii in Vermont. Mahalo 🤙
Aloha Kakou @zipper would’ve loved to be down at Ala Moana Beach Park “Magic Island” and watch u pull in to Alawai Boat Harbor just like the Hokule’a and Hikianalia coming home from there “Malama Honua World Tour”. I understand it’s a little far for Panana to voyage, but it would’ve been a sight to see👀. Just like this5767799F-EADF-4926-9A45-81AC670BB224.png
0EC50A23-A601-4AAA-9E3D-644049BBF61E.png
I would go pick Maile lau li’ili’i to drape over Panana’s bow. Would be so awesome. So happy and proud that u represent our Lahui and culture so far from home, all Pono.🙏🏽🤙🏽

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@rkim808 If it ever happens, you will be the first to know. Mahalo nui loa Rueben.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I installed air conditioning on the boat tonight. Willow decided we need AC while at the slip. Nice to have when temps. are in the 90's. She went to Lowes. Came back with this one.
I needed to exhaust the heat with a 6" hose connected to one of the portlights with an adapter. I made these to "clamshell" the portlight in the aftcabin. Just need some weatherstripping. We chose portable because it is only needed for a couple of months up here and removal is easy. And we did not want to pay for another 30a service that is required for a permanent marine installation.

20190731_111139.jpg

Installed in the aft cabin portlight.

20190731_194137.jpg
20190731_194149.jpg

Will be disconnected from the portlight when we are away, so we can close it up. I still have to secure it back there, but what a difference it makes in the cabin.

20190731_195455.jpg

Might try to get a longer hose and put it on the sole. I am sure @PEARCE likes having AC on the SeaRay, most of the year down there.

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did that AC do? I was recently looking at one of those. How noisy is it? I was going to use it in my daughters room when it's really hot, and then use it in my garage wood shop on not so hot days.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It cools well and is pretty quiet for an AC unit. Works great on the boat. It cooled our 16' x 32' kitchen/dining area at home before we took it to the boat. The portability is great. And as Willow says..."If you don't like it, you can bring it back".

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did that AC do? I was recently looking at one of those. How noisy is it? I was going to use it in my daughters room when it's really hot, and then use it in my garage wood shop on not so hot days.
We have one ( a bigger stand up model in our master bedroom, it faces south and has bay window exposing east and west and one wall is exposed to the west and the duct work isn't the best so the room stays HOT in the summer)

Last year we had a window unit that was a little quitter since everything was outside but it rattled to much, The inside unit is certainly an easier install but is a tad noisier (but not unacceptable with the cold air being circulated).

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Scottintexas . My daughters room faces due West and is above the garage. Even though we added insulation in the floor, her room still gets much warmer when the temps rise. I may try one of these.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper we certainly do! You don't want to spend much time inside the cabin of a boat this time of year here in Texas without a/c. Boats with enclosed bows such as Baja's have couches or bunks to sleep on, but are not a/c cooled typically so it's not a comfortable place to be for long. Our Sea Ray however has 2 built in units that do quite well in keeping the cabin very comfortable.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
An ongoing boat project update. I had a local steel supplier cut the pieces of stainless needed for the anchor roller. I drilled the 1/2" holes in the 1/4" plate for the rollers, a couple more holes to drill for the loop and mounting to boat. I will have it TIG welded this week, I really need to buy a TIG welder. I sence more s.s. projects in the future. I am happy with the design and how it will mate with the existing bow stem head fitting.

20190817_063005.jpg
20190820_084932.jpg
(Old stem head fitting used to check fit for reference)

Next project is to replace a custom made part that broke last week when we were out. Harken does not make blocks and cleats with stainless much anymore. And the same 15+ YO parts do not exist on this planet to weld a new assembly to control the movement of the traveler. So I bought their "updated" part and drew up my own mounting base to be made from 316 stainless. Here are both the old broken custom welded part. If the sheave in the block was not missing 1/2 of its surface, I would just have the tab welded back on. So I needed a new part for both port and starboard traveler end controls.

The old custom design which I really liked, but cannot replicate exactly. You can see someone did a really nice TIG weld to join the two pieces of the base plate together. Harken told me it was not them.

20190817_071638.jpg

20190817_063540.jpg

The new part and the drawing of the mounting base. I will not be using the base that came with the new part. The two parts will join at the hinge pins.

20190817_071849.jpg

And lastly, getting ready to install the new AC shore power panel on the boat. The Black Cherry panel will house the shore power, the VHF and Stereo and clean up the hack job at the Nav. station someone did.

20190817_071937.jpg

Plenty to do when upgrading older boats.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 316 S.S. came for the end control mounting base. I ordered a sample size for both 11ga. and 16ga. The samples were 5" x 5" and cost $14 shipped. Yesterday I took the pieces to a shop to have them sheared to length. That cost $15. Brought them home, did some shaping and drilling and completed the assembly. I did change the design some by eliminating the welding of a hinge mounting base, "Field changes". I drilled and tapped the 11ga. and mounted the Harken assembly with the mounting base.

20190829_101157.jpg

20190829_102521.jpg

20190829_145545.jpg

I know, it does not look like much but this lets us get back on the water sailing. I will install tonight and follow up with a picture to add to this post.

20190829_150407.jpg

Installed, back in business!

20190829_174528.jpg

Now to upgrade the port side.

20190829_174743.jpg

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That team REALLY looks good. What an amazing job!

Next time my job takes me to Providence, RI I may just need to come up and see these upgrades in person!

EDIT: Correction...*teak

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That team REALLY looks good. What an amazing job!

Next time my job takes me to Providence, RI I may just need to come up and see these upgrades in person!
Come on up, lets go sailing. The boat gets hauled out late October. 5 hr. drive from Providence.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I get it. But I will not have rusty black iron or galvanized fittings on our boat. Swapping out someone elses install with S.S. on the hot water heater heat exchanger lines.

20190904_132254.jpg

20190904_161951.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eh, I never subscribed to that much anyway... Besides, your results look so pretty. Well done again!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The anchor roller, prototype, I designed in the post above, https://jetboaters.net/threads/we-have-been-looking-to-add-to-our-boating-options.15561/page-13#post-402634 , is finished. A neighbor/friend of mine TIG welded the pieces together for me. And then bead blasted the assembly, and dropped it off this weekend. I think it came out really nice. I have not installed it yet, I was on my parents roof reshingling it before Winter and their trip South, with my hay buddy/contractor all weekend. I will install it soon, just in time to pull the boat for the season.In the pictures below, it is shown lined up, fitted to the port side of the old stemhead fitting. I was just using this bent fitting for reference, the starboard side is bent up, you can see it does not sit on the floor like it should. It will be installed on the starboard side of the new stemhead fitting installed last Fall, where it lines up with the windlass, installed earlier. Just one last mounting hole to drill once it is located during the test fit to the new fitting at the boat.

20190922_182935.jpg

20190922_182918.jpg

20190923_153834.jpg

Last edited: