• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice faucet upgrade @zipper . Our bathroom (head) sink faucet is just a spicate, since we have a shower stall, has a few wild streams too. I think I need to take it off and soak in some CLR type stuff to get rid of the mineral deposits from the water. I filter all fresh water that comes into the boat that I don't think the previous owner did. The available water at the dock is clean, but nobody drinks it.
Thank you Sir. Ours serves double duty. The whole head is a shower stall with a floor drain connected to a hose leading to both bilge pumps pickups. You just need to remember to put the T.P. away first.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we were shopping to replace our boat after the fire we knew we didn't want a wet head. Most Express class boats under 40 feet have a wet head. We didn't want to deal with that since this is our 'lake home' so we would be using the shower almost every weekend. The other two requirements were dedicated beds for our two kids, didn't want the hassle every night, and a direct drive powertrain. That means I wanted direct drive to shaft and prop and not a V-drive or an out drive such as an I/o setup. All Sundancers in the size that we were in the market for are V-drives. The engines on those boats are pushed to the rear corners to help create more cabin space. The results you get is a seating/sleeping area under the helm area of the cockpit. That also makes things more difficult to do work on the engines. The engines in our Express are under the helm seats which creates a more balanced boat since those heavy engines (454 bigblocks) are farther forward. I don't need to use my trim tabs to push the rear end up to get her on plane. With enough throttle, under 3k rpm, and very little bowrise, she climbs onto plane. To me, that's the sign of a balanced boat when you're putting 18k+ pounds onto plane. It's one of the coolest feelings in the world too!

Sorry for the hijack and rambling! I just like talking about boats! I guess that's why I'm here.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally a sunny but cool day. Put a new water pump on the diesel engine today. About a 20 min. job. The seals on the old one were leaking and dripping into the bilge. I did not want to run it very long in that condition. I will rebuild the old one and have a spare for future.

20190522_141418.jpg

I also finished removing the left over adhesive from the cockpit and will be installing the new Teak soon. Used the DeBond again, awesome stuff. I also removed a sticker that was there for 13 years and the adhesive with a quick spray and a rag. I love this stuff, if you could not tell by how often I mention it. Before and after on the sticker.

20190522_153543.jpg

20190522_153940.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A beautiful day on Lake Champlain today. Air temp. upper 70's, water temp 45°. We have been glued to weather apps. like Windy and Accuweather looking for a calm 4 hr. time window to make the passage. Wind out of the South 5-6 kts. made for a great ride down on the motor to Burlington. I kept thinking how nice it would have been to be out there with the Yamaha, these days are few and far between. It wasn't glass, but pretty damn near close. It took a little under 3hrs. at 6kts+. The lake is still in flood stage and a lot of floating debris/sticks along the way. Parts of the Marina are still under construction and they placed us in an interum/temp. spot until the wave attenuating concrete docks are finished. When we get to our permanent slip spot...get ready for some really awesome Sunset pics. over the Adirondacks of New York. The trip was flawless, the boat ran great, we got the chance to calibrate the auto pilot and compass finally. The Raymarine Axiom 9 RV showed either Lake Trout or Salmon at 80' along the way. It was a fun day once all the prep. work was done and we headed out.
A few pics from the day.

The Captain at her Helm, head on a swivel.

20190526_121412.jpg

The lowly Crew ;)

20190526_172807.jpg

The spot on the dock

20190526_155004.jpg

Let the Sailing begin.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Updating the Navionics charts and sonar on super fast WiFi and flying the colors on Memorial Day.

20190527_122900.jpg

I guess "super Fast" is relative. 10+ Gigs in just under an hour, would have been 2 days at home.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Used the DeBond again, awesome stuff. I also removed a sticker that was there for 13 years and the adhesive with a quick spray and a rag. I love this stuff, if you could not tell by how often I mention it. Before and after on the sticker.

View attachment 94900
Do you think Debond would work on the Yamaha safety stickers on the transom? I tried to remove mine a few years ago and only got about 5% off, it was a tremendous amount of work and could never get more then a cm strip at a time and I quickly gave up,
Do you think it would work on the old hydro-turf people have problems with?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas
Try a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high. The heat gun makes them shrivel up and come right off. DeBond might work on the stickers with help of plastic putty knife. It will absolutly take any remaining adhesive off. I plan on replacing my factory swim platform mat with SeaDek. And plan on trying DeBond to remove adhesive instead of eraser wheel, sometime this Summer.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Goof off or another citrus cleaner will work on the on the adhesive. Not as fast as debond sounds though.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This weekend was the 25th anniversary of the Community Sailing Center on the waterfront in Burlington. It is just North, 3 minute walk, of the Marina and next to the Skate Park. One part of the celebration was a 1 hour sail on a Friendship Sloop. This particular Gaf rigged ship was built in Maine in the 1930's and used as a lobster boat. Now she charters out of Burlington harbor for 2 hour cruises. It was a lot of fun, with geology and history facts about Lake Champlain. Most I already knew, but what I did learn is that the mountains in Vermont are the oldest range in the world, being part of the Appalachian range and the Addirondack's just across the lake in New York are some of the newest. Situated on different plates. I knew about the fossilized Beluga Whale and the ancient salt water reefs, from diving here for many years. A few pics.

20190601_131111.jpg

20190601_133634.jpg

20190601_134627.jpg

20190601_134633.jpg

Thought this pic showed new vs. old.

20190601_150859.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sailing Show Kite Foiling. Pretty cool stuff, might like to try it. I have seen some of you foiling lately.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sailing Show Kite Foiling. Pretty cool stuff, might like to try it. I have seen some of you foiling lately.

Oh hell yeah! I'd do that in a heartbeat!
Sign me up!!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mounted and wired the spreader lights today. I ran the wire up the mast last fall when we bought the lights, while the mast was down to install the wind instruments. The lights did not arrive before we put the mast back up. We really like the added light on the deck and around the dock.

20190608_121722.jpg

20190608_210925.jpg

Fun time today with Jazz Fest and all the music in the background

20190608_195004.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did not like the 3" black standard registration numbers or the spacing of them that one of the P.O.'s did so I ordered a new set from Vinyl Lettering - DoItYourselfLettering.com . I chose a little bigger 3.5" and dark blue, spaced correctly. I know its a small mod...but it's all in the details.

Before

Screenshot_20190613-065230_Gallery.jpg

After

20190612_153758.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All those details add up. Changing the letters won't change the boat, but it sure adds to the overall "put together-ness" of the boat. Every little detail helps make it a complete package look.

I had my wife make the lettering for ours. Same reason, I wanted good spacing. She also matched the "AR190" font from the logo on the rear.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I spent the morning weedwacking around a couple hundred of our Blueberry bushes, preparing for our season to open in a few weeks. I did get 3 hours of work at the boat this afternoon. I replaced the heating element in the 12gal Raritan hot water heater that has not worked on shore power, only while under power thru a heat exchanger, since we purchased the boat. Pretty straight forward as far as replacing and I was very surprised at the condition of the old element.

20190623_145219.jpg

No wonder...I guess I will be ordering a new anode for the heater next. The heater works good now.

With the time remaining I started bedding the new teak for the cockpit. We both think it looks great and matches the 28YO table perfectly. I used 3m-4000 UV. I used a small 3oz. tube to do what you see, I will need a few 10oz. caulking gun tubes to finish the rest. The new teak makes a huge difference in appearence.

20190623_172604.jpg

20190623_172250.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Willow started a new project on the boat. The Head/Hull liner was separating from the fiberglass in the V-Berth and Aft Cabin. The foam backing was deteriorating so it is time to rip it out and replace.

IMG_20190624_171410.jpg

She is starting with the V-Berth and got it all stripped out last night. She will be replacing with a SailRite product. Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969 Now while it is out, I can run the 4ga. wiring forward to the windlass and conseal with the new headliner.

IMG_20190624_175531.jpg

While she was doing that, I continued the Bedding of the new cockpit Teak. I used up a 10oz. caulking gun tube of 3m-4000 UV, will need 2 more to finish. It's all comming together, man what a difference.

MVIMG_20190624_183544-3.jpg

She got a bit sentimental when this song came on her playlist. It was our dance song at our Wedding 28 years ago in August. The sound cuts out as she moves away from the stereo (Bluetoothed) But it's Unforgettable.

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Beautiful work @zipper and Mrs. ripper!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We installed the new Captain Navy Blue dodger and bimini today. Alright truth be told, we did not make these. This quality of work is best left to the people who have been doing this for 30 years. Willow paid the deposit last September to get on the schedule, way before she bought the Sailrite and I started the thread about other things she is making for the boat. Part of the install was a new S.S. dodger frame, old one was aluminum, with welded grab handles on 3 sides to give you something to hang onto and a new taller and longer aft, bimini frame. I have never welded S.S. or bent S.S. tubing to make anything useful that looks good. Not in my skill set, yet. We had Stiches Afloat do the work Stitches Afloat | Vermont, 05482 . She set up the new dodger and bimini on the boat this afternoon. And then started patterning the side panels for the dodger as well as the Spray Shield that connects the two for rain/sun protection in the cockpit while at anchor or at the dock. We cannot use it while under sail because the traveler is in the cockpit and the spray shield would hinder the movement of the traveler and the main sheet, explained below. Sailors here know what I mean. ;) Here are a few pictures of their work. Hurry up, a storm is comming.

20190626_164453.jpg
The traveler is mounted to the cockpit/companionway sole. The six black lines with the yellow fleck (main sheet) running vertically at the aft of the dodger attach to blocks (pulleys) on the boom and blocks on cars that run back and forth port to starboard on the traveler and form a 6:1 purchase block and tackle. It controls the positioning of the main sail. So to use the spray shield we must move the boom to one side or the other to get the main sheet out of the way.

20190626_164824.jpg
Love all the clear vinyl on this one, not any blind spots like on the old one.

20190626_164646.jpg
The backstay runs thru the bimini and the opening can be adjusted by moving the position of the Zippers. Most times it will not need adjustment when pointing upwind. But when running downwind or breezes over 20kts, you can add tension to the backstay with the hydraulic backstay adjuster (shown above) which will move the backstay in relation to the bimini. Hence the zippers (shown below)

20190626_164732.jpg

20190626_155238.jpg

Patterning the Spray Shield between the dodger and bimini.

20190626_161435.jpg

She uses a lot of clamps and pulls it tight and then makes all the necessary markings on the ripstop plastic to bring it back to the loft to make it from sunbrella.

20190626_162955.jpg

Very happy with their work. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

She is looking almost like a new boat now. At the very least...a lot better than the saggy grey in the picture below.

20190527_122900.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We installed the new Captain Navy Blue dodger and bimini today. Alright truth be told, we did not make these. This quality of work is best left to the people who have been doing this for 30 years. Willow paid the deposit last September to get on the schedule, way before she bought the Sailrite and I started the thread about other things she is making for the boat. Part of the install was a new S.S. dodger frame, old one was aluminum, with grab handles on 3 sides to give you something to hang onto. I have never welded S.S. or bent S.S. tubing to make anything useful that looks good. Not in my skill set, yet. We had Stiches Afloat do the work Stitches Afloat | Vermont, 05482 . She set up the new dodger and bimini on the boat this afternoon. And then started patterning the side panels for the dodger as well as the Spray Shield that connects the two for rain/sun protection in the cockpit while at anchor or at the dock. We cannot use it while under sail because the traveler is in the cockpit and the spray shield would hinder the movement of the traveler. Sailors know what I mean. ;) Here are a few pictures of their work.

View attachment 97961

View attachment 97962

View attachment 97963

The backstay runs thru the bimini and can be adjusted by moving the position of the Zippers.

View attachment 97964

View attachment 97966

Patterning the Spray Shield between the dodger and bimini.

View attachment 97967

She uses a lot of clamps and pulls it tight and then makes all the necessary markings on the ripstop plastic to bring it back to the loft to make it from sunbrella.

View attachment 97968

Very happy with their work. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

She is looking almost like a new boat now. At the very least...a lot better than the grey in my signature below.
Amazing work, wish she were a little closer...
Are they the same vendor that did your 230 bimini and sides?

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Amazing work, wish she were a little closer...
Are they the same vendor that did your 230 bimini and sides?

--
No Sir, different shop. Our canvas shop that did the Yamaha was not able to do the job until the end of the Summer. We really liked her stuff, but this husband and wife team does really good work with a lot of useful detail.