• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went out to work on the Beneteau today, I know what's new. But we are getting closer to the splash date. Changed the Cutlass bearing on the prop shaft. This was the condition of the old one. It's more of a bushing. The new one has a brass sleave with rubber within. I think it was just in time.

20190426_120653.jpg

It centers the prop shaft in the strut forward of the prop.

20180905_153153_1.jpg

And since I am pretty sure I have plugged the leaks on deck, I cut up the cover and removed it. We have some rain in the forcast and the deck needs cleaning. She got dirty when they put the shrinkwrap on due to their 2x4's for the frame being dirty. Now I can start putting equipment back on. Buffing/polishing the hull is next to prep for the graphic and then prep. the cockpit for the new teak.

20190429_162539.jpg

20190429_182203.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I swear, I'm the only one who has buffed this hull in 10 years. Oxidation was chalky. I did the starbord side last year before we splashed her. I could see parts of a prior graphic once I polished the area. Hard to see in the thumbnail below but I believe it was when she was named "Indulgence" down in Conn. before she came up here. I could see the c and e clearly. The thumbnail only shows some wave curls when you zoom in.

20190430_142835.jpg

I used a whole bushel basket of tools and supplies.

20190430_140806.jpg

20190430_143004.jpg

Not done yet.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I finished the oxidation removal today. They moved the boat back a few feet so I could finish the last foot of the bow that was overhanging the Lake. I have not put any wax on yet. Still putting on a red vinly stripe and new name graphic, tomorrow. Did the port side stripe today and the captain loves it, I must admit, so do I. Hence 3 pictures.

20190504_165532.jpg11175.jpeg

Squeegeeing it down and removing air bubbles.

11173.jpeg

Full day scheduled tomorrow.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking great. Hard enough buffing a boat standing on the ground, doing that on the ladder must've been rough.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wish I knew how to sail. As a kid I always enjoyed seeing people buy Hobie cats and sail them on our lake. Looks like a ton of work and upkeep but also seems so rewarding being able to cut off the engines and feel the wind propel you. Keep up the great work!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking great. Hard enough buffing a boat standing on the ground, doing that on the ladder must've been rough.
Thank You,Ya, the oxidation removal with the bigger rotary polisher, heavier, was harder than the D/A, polishing gelcoat. Standing on top of a 6' ladder presents it's own issues, but the ground is pretty flat and I can lean on the neighbors boat. It took me two days up there to complete the job. Well worth it.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wish I knew how to sail. As a kid I always enjoyed seeing people buy Hobie cats and sail them on our lake. Looks like a ton of work and upkeep but also seems so rewarding being able to cut off the engines and feel the wind propel you. Keep up the great work!
It's coming together. It has been a lot of work because at least the two previous owners did absolutely nothing to keep her healthy. It is a labor of love. We can see the difference from one year ago when we purchased her. She will look much different in a couple of weeks. I have always considered myself a motor boater until 1 1/2 years ago. It's funny how life can change and show you a different learning experience.
We love cutting the engine and hoisting the sails, my other engines, on this boat.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I finished the red stripe on the starboard side today. I also applied the vinyl graphic and new name. It came out really nice. Again, the Captain is ecstatic over the outcome. I appologize that I cannot show you yet, the renaming ceremony is later this coming week. I don't want to piss off Poseiden or the other gods of the four winds or even @Betik for that matter. All I can show you is this.

20190505_145515.jpg

and this

20190505_145454.jpg

Renaming ceremony is scheduled for Friday 6pm on the dock. Will unveil after the ceremony.

We are serious about the superstition behind this...did you kow the Titanic never had a formal naming ceremony.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I worked on removing the old cockpit teak and prepping the surface for the new teak that I have shown in previous posts. I used the same cheese cutting wire i used to release the port lites/windows. I can't say enough about the DeBond adhesive remover. It softened 28 yo factory adhesive and allowed me to remove it with the help of a single edge razor blade. Without the spray the adhesive was hard and nearly impossible to remove with the blade. Spray it on, let it set for a minute and the blade cuts right thru it. A second application and minor blade work removes the rest. I bet it would work great to remove the residual adhesive on the swim platform left by the hydro turf. Might just try it as we think it is time to replace ours on the Yamaha. I used up the first can today, need to order another.

20190506_131410.jpg

20190506_155222.jpg

20190506_164706.jpg

Last edited:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very very nice job she looks beautiful! After spending years of oiling teak I think I would put SeaDek down after I took that teak up. It is softer on your butt also.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very very nice job she looks beautiful! After spending years of oiling teak I think I would put SeaDek down after I took that teak up. It is softer on your butt also.
We contemplated the use of SeaDek, but the cockpit surfaces where the teak strips are, is individually recessed. I would need to fill in the many recesses to get SeaDek to stick. We are going to put SeaDek over the non-skid on the swim platform once it is sanded smooth, sometime in the future. I already have it patterned.
The new Teak strips that I have finished over the past few months are beautiful and match the many tones of the 28yo cockpit teak table pretty well. I finished the table last year with Minwax Spar Helmsman Polyurethane Gloss. We wanted all the teak to match, so I redid the table recently with West System 105/207 epoxy, 3 coats and the same Epifanes 2-part polyurethane in satin. The Captain loves it, she did not care for the glossy finish.

And to put under my boney ass to separate it from the wood, we plan on making cockpit cushions with her Sailrite using 2" closed cell foam and we are still debating Vinyl or Sunbrella covers.

20190505_080756.jpg

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow @zipper this as an amazing and great looking restore job!!!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow @zipper this as an amazing and great looking restore job!!!
Thank You Sir! It has been a lot of work bringing this boat back into "good" shape. There are folks who prefer weathered teak over my approach. This boat was that way for 28 years and it is a lot of work every year, at least, to keep it looking good. It had not been cared for in quite a while. Hopefully, I am doing most of the work now, on the front end of this restore and only need occasional touch-ups.

Kinda hard to see but this was the weathered table, at survey, a year ago.

20180409_091346_1.jpg

The cockpit already looks better. I can't wait to install my newly finished "furniture" soon.

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow! @zipper with older pics like that you can really see how much work you've done since you got her.
AMAZING!!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A few pictures from yesterday...

Layed out the new cockpit Teak just to see and compare against the original. Not stuck down yet.

20190509_120015.jpg

And got the boat wet Finally.

20190509_150916.jpg

20190509_151212.jpg

20190509_151621.jpg

20190509_151949.jpg

20190509_152303.jpg

Been on the Hard since last September. A lot of work and treasure to get her here. We are not done yet, thank you all for following. Her renaming ceremony is Saturday Evening. I would like to thank my wife, Willow, for everything she has done to get us here. Thanks Babe.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The teak looks great!!! That is one beautiful boat, what a transformation it has gone through. You have done a fantastic job @zipper !

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. That thing looks great now.

And WOW what a process to get it back in the water. I have so many questions.

How often do you have to pull it like that?
How does that red machine pickup the black steel the boat was sitting on?
Is that red machine custom or something every marina on the coast will have?
What's the cost to pull it out/put it back in the water?

I've always been a trailer boater so this process is really interesting.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow @zipper I can't wait to see all the new teak glued down and done. That's gonna be beautiful! Glad she's finally floating again. Hopefully ya'll can take her for a sail this weekend.