• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is a fair price for a complete 1.8L yamaha motor?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Long story short, I have a complete motor that came out of a 2010 yamaha 242 LS. It has about 500 hours on it and just got a new timing chain.

By complete I mean drop in ready, With the the starter, intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, spark plugs, Newer oil cooler (replaced under warranty in 2013) and exhaust manifold (if I don’t have to ship it). It was running when i pulled it last weekend (I took video of it starting up just before I pulled at) and all cylinders have good compression. I also just changed the oil and filter.​

i just don’t know what to price it at. Here is one currently for sale on eBay. The price excludes shipping and handling. I think as
Is mine (third pic) weighs around 250 pounds.

every buyer is different but what do you guys think is a fair price for this? I want to give someone, preferably a member here, a great Deal but I need a baseline. If I can avoid crating and shipping this thing I’d discount it further. I am located between San Francisco and Sacramento, CA.

299AED77-1044-43AA-A75E-11DCE2FBE364.png9A3D1BF6-E1DF-41C9-8E07-209510249EC2.png0DD9840B-187A-4484-92CA-0971527D8F07.jpeg

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, almost 24 hours and no responses, they all must have busy saturdays,

What does sbt charge??

On negative they're buying "as is" with no warranty,
On positive they're buying from ronnie so they can trust what they're buying,

Whatever the price, if i needed a 1.8 I'd buy it in a minute from you,

I'd think a min. Of 5k but up to 7k, if you had to buy a ski and all the mess associated with pulling/installing is worth money

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just washed the engine with salt away and treated it with CRC. Here are new pics comes with everything described above .
DBE3699C-4BB5-49CB-9A41-D8C4A334A989.jpegE1821B7A-D537-4363-8AC2-D16C41242F2F.jpeg856DB6A9-9FB3-4FA4-81C5-67CA783E15BA.jpeg

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$9K or so?? i been tracking a pair on Fleabay with 6 hours for 10K each and there are some out there as long blocks for 7-7.5K without the manifolds injectors and sensors. Nothing that looks that good with known history.... im tempted....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
SBT charged about $3,800 plus shipping of a usable core to them and the remanufactured engine from them. The standard comes with a 1 year warranty the Premium a 2 year warranty. However, I don’t think this a fair comparison because what SBT is selling is no where as complete as what I’m offering and the buyer of SBT’s engine has to mail in a usable core. To top it off their site says they don’t have any in stock, I assume it means they don’t have one on the shelf nor any rebuilds or cores in stock. Either way the SBT deal is not really available right now. I wonder if they would buy my engine?

for context the oil cooler alone sells for $650. I know the starter is over $100 as are the fuel rail and injectors. I think I could make more money parting this thing out but I don’t want to do that at all. The engine was working well when pulled it and I just had a new timing chain installed in it for almost $2k (I thought I was keeping it as a spare engine but decided that if another of the 4 have, 2 in the boat and 2 in Waverunners, goes down I’m not along it to a shop for repairs). By selling it with all the extras my buyer has the opportunity to recover some of his not her costs by reselling the same to others.

I just found and will include the plastic decorative cover where I wrote the compression results on, and I took video of it starting just before I pulled it. Once I get the donor engines started up I should be able to pull the engine hours and plan to post the engine up for sale via Craigslist and face book market place.

I don’t want to deal with crating or shipping this at all. If a buyer is willing to pick it up or have it picked up I will help load it and should be able borrow a standard cherry picker from an eight neighbor if necessary I don’t mind waiting for that buyer to come alone since I find it kind of cool to have an engine in my garage/my man cave (recall that until last week I had never pulled an engine, now I’ve pulled three) plus, not to brag but to appreciative, I don’t need the money to complete the repairs and upgrades to my boat.
D1805DB8-60E7-4DFC-BCBA-2EE20D41773E.pngDC299C5F-4E64-4904-91F6-FD8F0D440981.png65DDFE14-0DF6-40E4-9D75-871810AC61B7.png

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$9K or so?? i been tracking a pair on Fleabay with 6 hours for 10K each and there are some out there as long blocks for 7-7.5K without the manifolds injectors and sensors. Nothing that looks that good with known history.... im tempted....
Thanks for responding.
I think I will put it out there for members here at $6k as described earlier. If this deal was available when I needed an engine I would have closed in a heartbeat knowing what I know now about the associated cost and effort. I will list it on Craigslist, face book market place and maybe ebay for $7,500 based on what your seeing for just the long blocks / engine core. With any luck the postings will be up tonight.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for responding.
I think I will put it out there for members here at $6k as described earlier. If this deal was available when I needed an engine I would have closed in a heartbeat knowing what I know now about the associated cost and effort. I will list it on Craigslist, face book market place and maybe ebay for $7,500 based on what your seeing for just the long blocks / engine core. With any luck the postings will be up tonight.
Sounds about right Ronnie….looks pretty darn clean! Was there any compression tests done on the motor? From what I’ve read seems like this motor has a lot of hours left on it.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
at 6K they ARE a STEAL of a DEAL !!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2012 242 Limited S. I had an engine rebuilt. Insurance paid 15k for it. ( I wasn’t smart enough to know at the time that I could have put that toward a jet ski instead.) So I suspect yours will go quick at that price to someone who needs it.