• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What tool to use for new speaker holes

Another vote for a hole saw. Run it backwards to score the gelcoat, then run it in. If you choose to place them on the fiberglass (where I did), do it in spurts, or you can overheat the bit (and ruin it) or your drill (and ruin it). The black inserts are much easier to cut through than the white gelcoat.

Never seen a 10" hole saw - it would be hard to handle I would think. Yamaha uses robots to cut out the openings in the decks, so their tools will cut a perfect circle if needed. To do a sub hole yourself, you need a jigsaw or dremel or similar to cut the hole. It doesn't have to be perfect, just sized to fit the speaker. A hole saw just gives a fast and perfect hole for smaller speakers...which is why I bought one to do my speaker holes. It cost $25 but it was worth it to make a clean hole.

Gonna be honest, was really. Hoping that wasn't gonna be the answer lol

What about for a 10" hole for a sub?
I used a cheapie air saw from harbor freight. Definitely the way to go if you have a compressor. I finished the final touches with a die grinder, also air powered.

Rough cut saw:

die grinder example tool:

If you want to see a visual check out my install here:

Gonna be honest, was really. Hoping that wasn't gonna be the answer lol
Sorry I didn't have a lot of options for hole saws locally - the only 5" I could find was a Hole Dozer at Home Depot - here in Canada we have about 30% of the selection and options you have in the USA. If you're handy, using a jigsaw or similar will work fine, just takes longer and you have to make sure you follow the cutout lines carefully.

Sorry I didn't have a lot of options for hole saws locally - the only 5" I could find was a Hole Dozer at Home Depot - here in Canada we have about 30% of the selection and options you have in the USA. If you're handy, using a jigsaw or similar will work fine, just takes longer and you have to make sure you follow the cutout lines carefully.
Amazon.com has a similar hole saw kit that’s not quite as well priced as harbor freight. Have you checked out online options that can ship to Canada?

I bought some electronic components from RS (in the UK) and I did pay maybe $8 or so extra tax to get it (on a ~ $20) piece but it was worth it to me to ease soldering onto a board.

Online could be an option…. Remember it’s infrequent use so it doesn’t have to be the best quality. Good luck!

They make them in larger sizes to cut holes for 10/12" subs too, but unless you're cutting with a press to slowly bore down, I don't think I'd want to use one by hand in a boat. In that case I'd rather use a jigsaw or similar for more control.

Amazon.com has a similar hole saw kit that’s not quite as well priced as harbor freight. Have you checked out online options that can ship to Canada?
Yes sometimes we can go that route, but the problem is exchange, duties, taxes, and shipping rates are crazy making a purchase non-cost effective. A $20 item easily becomes $50 or more. Our stupid government likes to nickel and dime us and they let the cross-border shipping companies do the same on shipping rates so we get screwed because we live 10 miles further north than NY.

Rotozip with the right bit is what I used for the subs.

Use some 60 grit sand paper to ease the edges of the gel coat after you cut the hole…no matter how you cut it.

Like this one.

To go along with this (btw, great idea @the MfM), they make jigs to help you if you feel like you want something nicer looking and don't trust yourself doing it by hand. I also came across a similar jig for a Dremel as well, in case you don't own a RotoZip. If you don't own EITHER of those things, I'll have to make snide comments in your general direction until you rectify that situation. Both of these claim to work up to 12"

For the RotoZip:

For the Dremel:

Now, if you're doubting yourself, I'll just leave this link here of someone who used this exact method, and I won't point out that it's an old lady either ;)

Back