• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's your favorite Bourbon?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Feel I can’t pass this thread up without joining in. Lots of awesome suggestions!

Though I am generally more of a Rye drinker, can’t go wrong with Basil Hayden’s, also working on a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon.

Dpod13

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve recently converted from Bourbon to Rye as well, angels envy or high west...

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
eagle rare! @drewkaree yum!

Ive just had a new one last weekend, I hadnt tried before. "Yellowstone"

I know nothing about it, I just ended up at a bar accidentally, with the soccer mom crew.. asked the bartender "whattya got?" well... its delicious. Ill be snaggin a bottle next time im shoppin.

Yellowstone 2017 Limited Edition Bourbon Review

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
eagle rare! @drewkaree yum!

Ive just had a new one last weekend, I hadnt tried before. "Yellowstone"

I know nothing about it, I just ended up at a bar accidentally, with the soccer mom crew.. asked the bartender "whattya got?" well... its delicious. Ill be snaggin a bottle next time im shoppin.

Yellowstone 2017 Limited Edition Bourbon Review

Hoo boy, that Yellowstone looks to price out around a hundo! That's some pricey stuff right there, my limit is right around half that, which still gets me darn near anything in this thread so far. I've found quite a few bottles that are well below that amount and are what I would call very good deals. Not sure if you've had Eagle Rare, but I'd also recommend Buffalo Trace. To me, it's a less-powerful (but also less flavorful) example of Eagle Rare, and it's much easier to find. I've also enjoyed Larceny and Evan Williams Single Barrel. I prolly won't buy another bottle of Larceny, simply because I don't enjoy it for the price it commands - there are others in that price range I'd rather have. The Evan Williams Single Barrel is an easy find, it's good, and at $20 a bottle, it's something I can keep around all the time without breaking the bank.

For those who mentioned rye, Bulleit makes a very good, very spicy example. I've enjoyed it, but rye isn't my go-to drink. Bourbon or scotch, but I find my wallet doesn't like me testing out scotch the same way I can do with bourbon

cheers bud.gifdrunk.gif

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hoo boy, that Yellowstone looks to price out around a hundo! That's some pricey stuff right there, my limit is right around half that, which still gets me darn near anything in this thread so far. I've found quite a few bottles that are well below that amount and are what I would call very good deals. Not sure if you've had Eagle Rare, but I'd also recommend Buffalo Trace. To me, it's a less-powerful (but also less flavorful) example of Eagle Rare, and it's much easier to find. I've also enjoyed Larceny and Evan Williams Single Barrel. I prolly won't buy another bottle of Larceny, simply because I don't enjoy it for the price it commands - there are others in that price range I'd rather have. The Evan Williams Single Barrel is an easy find, it's good, and at $20 a bottle, it's something I can keep around all the time without breaking the bank.

For those who mentioned rye, Bulleit makes a very good, very spicy example. I've enjoyed it, but rye isn't my go-to drink. Bourbon or scotch, but I find my wallet doesn't like me testing out scotch the same way I can do with bourbon

View attachment 87037View attachment 87038
Redemption has a good rye as well.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 87037View attachment 87038
thats the limited. oops! regular is 40 bucks! :)

I had a bottle of Buffalo Trace. good stuff. Mom bought it for me somewhere in Montana, thinking it was a local thing to that area. hahah

I did have one that night I didnt care for. Whistle Pig. Heard a bunch about it. i can see why some might like it... but it feels like something you just do shots of. Maybe if had a few more sips.... it was too heavy.

Tried a Scotch too, "Glen Grant" 15 yr. Brother in law had it. Wife handed me the glass, and said: "try this, bet you'll love it because it tastes like campfire to me" she was right. :cool: lol

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahh, the peat! Not a fan of the smoky scotches, but that's what makes threads like this interesting. You get some ideas that you can use to narrow down another test bottle lol

I've got a bottle of Laphroaig just sitting and waiting for someone other than me to make a dent in it. I tried it, but it isn't for me. Dunno if you like cigars, but Drew Estate has a Kentucky Fire Cured stick that tastes like you're smoking a campfire, if that makes sense.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is a topic that I have an opinion about!

Blanton’s, best bourbon out there. Hard to get, and a bit pricey at $55.
Basil Hayden, very good at $45.
Four Roses Single Barrel. $45
Jack Daniels Single Barrel. $50. (Jack Daniels Old No 7. Can’t drink it. Way too spicy for its proof.)
Evan Williams Single Barrel is the best $20-25 bottle on the market now.
Wild Turkey 101, if I’m in the mood for a mixed drink. (Or straight, if trying to ward off a cold)
Bernheim’s Wheat, For something a little different,

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Speaking of Blantons, if anyone sees a bottle I'd be happy to pay them to ship it to me. Haven't seen a bottle here in about six months.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahh, the peat! Not a fan of the smoky scotches, but that's what makes threads like this interesting. You get some ideas that you can use to narrow down another test bottle lol

I've got a bottle of Laphroaig just sitting and waiting for someone other than me to make a dent in it. I tried it, but it isn't for me. Dunno if you like cigars, but Drew Estate has a Kentucky Fire Cured stick that tastes like you're smoking a campfire, if that makes sense.

Laphroaig is my jam! aged in makers mark barrels... (I love me some makers mark as well)

heres a write up. they care about their scotch over there! think theres a couple documentaries too....?

I Peated in your Scotch: A Trip to Laphroaig

First sip tastes like fire. then its the best thing ever. My favorite thing to do is read the comments on their FB page, of people coming up with taste slogans.

something like, "My Great Grandfather Sailed the atlantic twice, on a ship made of Oak, then squeezed the sweat and salt water from his wool lined bomber jacket into a bottle, and let it sit near the fireplace since the war"

LOL some creative stuff.

As far as smoking goes, I tend to stay away from the high end cigars. I am a non-smoker of 16yrs this yr, I still crave the damned things.... Also, i find it difficult to discern the different tastes. And, I know its not classy, but a swisher sweet with a cold Leinenkugel Summer Shandy on the swim deck of the boat, while watching the kids swim around is pretty therapeutic...

In my mind, scotch is meant to be had with meat. Prime rib specifically. *drools*

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Blantons, got a bottle of it this summer for my 42nd birthday from a first cousin of mine. I savor it for special occasions.

For when I just want to drink and not worry about the cost I like Jim Beam. I usually have one of the flavored ones and I always drink them on ice. The smoothest and sweetest is honey, vanilla isn't as sweet, but still smooth. The latest one I'm enjoying is Red Stag which has a hint of black cherry with a little smokiness. It's quite good!

I'm not usually a Jack Daniel's drinker, but I came across Winter Jack in my liquor store shopping before Christmas. It's actually a hard apple cider. I warm it a little and it is very good and smooth. It's almost like a warm dessert in a glass.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From the Heart of bourbon country this is an easy one for me. Have tried many of them and LOTS of a few :
#1 Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof
#2. Woodford Reserve

Remains of a Christmas present attached !!! Good stuff but not enough better to justify the bigger $$$ IMHO

Attachments

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Knob Creek is hard to beat.

I’ve been to a couple of bourbon tastings and tried pretty much everything listed so far and I honestly haven’t found anything I like better.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Had Angels Envy this evening at a bar. Pretty good stuff. Not sure I liked the $16.50 price though.
Buy the bottle it only like $45 although I guess thats kind of dependent on your location.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
anyone ever just wander aimlessly through the whiskey area in the liquor section at the grocery store, then have the young person working come up and suggest something to try?

I do this sometimes... last week just lookin'. Goofy kid suggested I try the Irish whiskey "Finagrens" Know nothing about it.... it was on sale for 20 bucks. :) 2nd shelf, not top, HAH! so I grabbed some... I really dig it. lol Wouldnt call it flavorful or anything though...

That's what its about for me... tryin' different stuff, even though I have my faves. And not just agreeing with other people who turn their nose up at stuff. (this is annoying)

I have found I like most Irish whiskeys actually. Like if I needed to tie one on to forget something, id probably go that route. :)

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They don't sell liquor in grocery stores here in Texas, at least not in my neck of the woods. Only beer and wine and that depends on where it is. We have to go to a liquor store if we want "spirits". There's one particular chain here in Texas called Spec's. Here in the Dallas area it has put most of the "mom and pop" stores out of business because they can't compete. Similar to what Walmart has done. I shop Spec's for not only the prices, but the amazing selection. They even do samplings on occasion. That's fun! Get a buzz while you're shopping for booze. While shopping there you will find employees roaming their sections of expertise for any of your questions that you may have or for them to make a suggestion for you. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go and always spend too much.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any of the A. Smith Bowman bourbons. Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They don't sell liquor in grocery stores here in Texas, at least not in my neck of the woods. Only beer and wine and that depends on where it is. We have to go to a liquor store if we want "spirits". There's one particular chain here in Texas called Spec's. Here in the Dallas area it has put most of the "mom and pop" stores out of business because they can't compete. Similar to what Walmart has done. I shop Spec's for not only the prices, but the amazing selection. They even do samplings on occasion. That's fun! Get a buzz while you're shopping for booze. While shopping there you will find employees roaming their sections of expertise for any of your questions that you may have or for them to make a suggestion for you. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go and always spend too much.
My bad....or just the liquor store...

I get that way too!