• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's your favorite Bourbon?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interested in the review.
Apologies for the delay. We (me, wife, FIL, & MIL) had a tasting that weekend with this Costco Barton Kirkland bourbon, the “usual” Costco Kirkland bourbon (that is 107 proof), and the Basil Hayden 10 year. We all had them neat
#3, The reg Costco was described as gasoline, not good neat, save that for mixing.
#2 This Barton Kirkland, it was strong, but not too much like the former, could mix or drink straight.
#1 Basil Hayden, was noticeably smoother than the Barton Kirkland and ideal for drinking neat. I’ll buy more of the Barton Kirkland if they still have it (Dang, I was just there and forgot about this!), but I’m not buying a case of it.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fuss that some have over "the good stuff" is sometimes funny to watch 😄

My FIL would not stop berating his son or nephew when he was around them and they were drinking Crown & Coke.

He used to yell at me for ordering a Bulleit Rye Old Fashioned (if they had it), until he tried one. Prior to that, he would only have one made with brandy until he tried mine.

Here in Wisconsin, a Brandy Old Fashioned is practically its own religion, but I converted him to my heathen cocktail 😄

I completely understand that sentiment though. My wife's cousin (the Crown/Coke fan) got me a bottle of Crown XR for my 50th,back when it was "reasonable" at $120, and my oldest thought it was funny to sneak a shot, instead of ask, and have an enjoyable experience with a glass and an ice ball. I explained why he was an ass for doing that, and why I blame his behavior on bad parenting 😁
Bulleit Rye is my go to. I prefer Rye over Bourbon in general now. My younger nephews rave about Whistle Pig and others but I always go back to Bulleit. Sazarac is my second. I have all the other bourons and ryes in my bar for show and other people.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Bulleit Rye is my go to. I prefer Rye over Bourbon in general now. My younger nephews rave about Whistle Pig and others but I always go back to Bulleit. Sazarac is my second. I have all the other bourons and ryes in my bar for show and other people.
Have you tried Jefferson's Ocean Rye. I'm not a rye fan at all, but it's pretty tasty.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
CostcoI alert!
I know someone posted this before, but my Costco in DE just got this in today.
View attachment 205134
We just taste tested it with the small batch Kirkland Bourbon by Barton. My wife likes this better than the small batch, I liked the small batch better. The small batch is good to drink straight. I think the bottle in bond would be better in an old fashioned. This is $25 a bottle, the small batch was $20.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Visiting a friend with a very eclectic collection of liquor and she pulled this one out. She got this at the distillery years ago. It smelled very strong, like it was going to self combust, but tasted as smooth as Blanton’s.
IMG_1365.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's gotta get below 100F outside before I can get back to Bourbon. Man.........something about oppressive heat and I lose my taste for it. Same with red wine. Weird thing is I'm more apt to sip on a good tequila (desert chardonnay) and a cold beer chaser while it's this hot. Or just don't drink at all. I don't drink on the golf course at all anymore.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's gotta get below 100F outside before I can get back to Bourbon. Man.........something about oppressive heat and I lose my taste for it. Same with red wine. Weird thing is I'm more apt to sip on a good tequila (desert chardonnay) and a cold beer chaser while it's this hot. Or just don't drink at all. I don't drink on the golf course at all anymore.
Try a Paloma. Grapefruit soda (Fresca tastes best to me, but a craft mixer is great too), tequila & lime juice, fresh-squeezed is best.

On the course, a Leinie's Summer Shandy is great once in a while, otherwise, I get the not drinking on the course.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took advantage of the cooler temps this morning and played 18 with a buddy. The range was closed for watering(so no warm up) and they had just punched the greens yesterday so they were sandy as hell. Crazy thing was I was one double bogey away or one missed putt away from breaking 80.

IMG_4978.PNG

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Buffalo Trace is real good for $30. And for reasons beyond my comprehension it has been really hard to get. Liquor stores hold it back for “ good” customers which sadly I am at one particular store.
Cheers

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was shopping at Costco today and seeing some bourbon brands I didn’t know. One seemed like a good deal and I was reading the label and noticed that this strongly implied, not literally said “Kentucky“ bourbon was “Distilled in Indiana”. I’ve noticed this “in Indiana” on some of my bottles of Sagamore Rye, so I started looking at other bottles and many said the same thing. I was thinking there must be some huge industrial distillery in Indiana. And there is!
Seems like they have had the market cornered on rye and a lot of bourbon too. Most importantly it seems like it is still good stuff. Brands still tweak the final product so you’re not literally drinking the same thing, but 95% of it is!

Costco also had the Johnny Walker sampler pack which I encouraged my wife to buy me as a gift for the holidays.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was shopping at Costco today and seeing some bourbon brands I didn’t know. One seemed like a good deal and I was reading the label and noticed that this strongly implied, not literally said “Kentucky“ bourbon was “Distilled in Indiana”. I’ve noticed this “8n Indiana” on some of my bottles of Sagamore Rye, so I started looking at other bottles and many said the same thing. I was thinking there must be some huge industrial distillery in Indiana. And there is!
Seems like they have had the market cornered on rye and a lot of bourbon too. Most importantly it seems like it is still good stuff. Brands still tweak the final product so you’re not literally drinking the same thing, but 95% of it is!

Costco also had the Johnny Walker sampler pack which I encouraged my wife to buy me as a gift for the holidays.
I got the sampler just to be able to try the Blue, as I don't run in those circles of guys who would drink that. SO good, but I just can't justify the cost, it's the cheapskate in me. For that price, I can get 3 excellent bottles of something else 🤷‍♂️

I didn't think something could be labeled as "bourbon" if it didn't have at least 51% corn in the mashbill, and it had to be made in KY. Was the "made in KY" something they were trying to get put into law, like Champagne, or am I misremembering things?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the sampler just to be able to try the Blue, as I don't run in those circles of guys who would drink that. SO good, but I just can't justify the cost, it's the cheapskate in me. For that price, I can get 3 excellent bottles of something else 🤷‍♂️

I didn't think something could be labeled as "bourbon" if it didn't have at least 51% corn in the mashbill, and it had to be made in KY. Was the "made in KY" something they were trying to get put into law, like Champagne, or am I misremembering things?
I was thinking of your experience when I saw that sampler. I thought it was the only way I’d try the Blue too. I figure it is cheaper than trying these at a bar. Quick Total Wine & More check… they sell the same sampler for $100, and just the 200ml Blue is $75!
IMG_2108.jpegIMG_2107.jpeg

I think you are correct on the mashbill, but it doesn’t have to be from Kentucky to be “bourbon”, only to be “Kentucky Bourbon”. I think I read before that Kentucky tried to get a law made so bourbon had to be from there, but so much is made out of the state it was a nonstarter. In the article they talk about an Iowa brand claiming it was “local”, even though it was distilled in Indiana. Apparently if it is distilled in a state other than the manufacture’s home state it must identify what state on the label.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking of your experience when I saw that sampler. I thought it was the only way I’d try the Blue too. I figure it is cheaper than trying these at a bar. Quick Total Wine & More check… they sell the same sampler for $100, and just the 200ml Blue is $75!
View attachment 210366View attachment 210367
YIKES, I just got a look at that price! When I bought the sampler, it came with the exact same bottles you have there, but it was $80, IIRC. Same experience with Total Wine, the small Blue was almost as much as I paid for the sampler, although I bought my sampler at a Woodman's (regional grocery superstore, I think, but great liquor selection).

I've also had the Double Black, which I like more than the Black. There's a bit of smokiness to it, seemingly without the peat, or at least the peat was reserved enough that I really didn't notice it.

I've come to the conclusion that people are often introduced to Scotch by other Scotch fans, but they hit them with a peaty version, or if they haven't tried it, they're afraid to try it on the chance that they're going to get one of those peaty versions they've heard so much about, and end up hating it. I'm a cheapskate, as I said before, and I REALLY dislike the peat versions that just taste like I'm drinking an iodine and seaweed shake, but that's why there's so many different versions. Just like beers, there's something for everyone's palate and preferences, so it ain't wrong to like what you like, even if it's not for me.

I still have my bottle of Laphroaig sitting on the shelf with exactly half a shot missing from it. It's waiting for a peaty Scotch fan to visit, and finish it off for me. For those who say they don't really like Scotch, Glenlivet has never failed to be acceptable, and I've found Tomatin Dualchas to be a close second for people to try. Neither is a snooty expensive bottle, and those who were hesitant to try Scotch seem surprised by how easy-drinking they both are.

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
YIKES, I just got a look at that price! When I bought the sampler, it came with the exact same bottles you have there, but it was $80, IIRC. Same experience with Total Wine, the small Blue was almost as much as I paid for the sampler, although I bought my sampler at a Woodman's (regional grocery superstore, I think, but great liquor selection).

I've also had the Double Black, which I like more than the Black. There's a bit of smokiness to it, seemingly without the peat, or at least the peat was reserved enough that I really didn't notice it.

I've come to the conclusion that people are often introduced to Scotch by other Scotch fans, but they hit them with a peaty version, or if they haven't tried it, they're afraid to try it on the chance that they're going to get one of those peaty versions they've heard so much about, and end up hating it. I'm a cheapskate, as I said before, and I REALLY dislike the peat versions that just taste like I'm drinking an iodine and seaweed shake, but that's why there's so many different versions. Just like beers, there's something for everyone's palate and preferences, so it ain't wrong to like what you like, even if it's not for me.

I still have my bottle of Laphroaig sitting on the shelf with exactly half a shot missing from it. It's waiting for a peaty Scotch fan to visit, and finish it off for me. For those who say they don't really like Scotch, Glenlivet has never failed to be acceptable, and I've found Tomatin Dualchas to be a close second for people to try. Neither is a snooty expensive bottle, and those who were hesitant to try Scotch seem surprised by how easy-drinking they both are.
Instead of the 4 pack I ended up buying a bottle of the JW Double Black based on your suggestion. I have not tried it yet. It was $36.89 for a 750ml at Costco.
I also saw the below but didn't get it. I'm sure I'll regret it.
IMG_2165.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's funny, I ran across the same bottle of Scotch, with the same feelings after I walked out of the store! 😁. Looks like it's a bit better price for me, and I can't get Double Black at my Costco, only the "regular" black. I may yet stop back for the Scotch, as it wouldn't seem that they'd put a peaty Scotch in sherry casks. @F.M. Was spot on with his (wife's) recommendation of the Macallan 12 in sherry casks, and a buddy tipped me off that my Costco got Tullabardine back in, so it's highly probable that Scotch may find its way into my cart 😇

Interested in hearing your testing of the Double Black is. If you find it horrible, I am available to help you offload it, so it doesn't taint the rest of your liquor cabinet 😉

IMG_20231103_194102732.jpg

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That's funny, I ran across the same bottle of Scotch, with the same feelings after I walked out of the store! 😁. Looks like it's a bit better price for me, and I can't get Double Black at my Costco, only the "regular" black. I may yet stop back for the Scotch, as it wouldn't seem that they'd put a peaty Scotch in sherry casks. @F.M. Was spot on with his (wife's) recommendation of the Macallan 12 in sherry casks, and a buddy tipped me off that my Costco got Tullabardine back in, so it's highly probable that Scotch may find its way into my cart 😇

Interested in hearing your testing of the Double Black is. If you find it horrible, I am available to help you offload it, so it doesn't taint the rest of your liquor cabinet 😉

View attachment 211409
If you like the 12, you should try the 18 Sherry Oak (black box). Same great taste but so unbelievably smooth.