• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where does your boat sleep?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice to have a 12' door.
Yes it is...And it looks like @AZMark is one upping that with a 14'er. I really like our 12'w x 14'h doors. I should set the boat in the door opening and measure to the tow point on the tower. I think I am higher than 12' on our 07.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How long & wide is your building? I know I've seen that last pic on here before and it helped inspire my future garage. I wish I could've gone wider with mine but I'm maxed out on my zoning.
20'x100' with 14' doors

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked into storage options and covered or enclosed is expansive out here. I’ll recover what I paid to build this in about 18 months. Plus it’s at home, and it’s added equity.
I tried to use this excuse to get my wife to let me raise the header in the garage. We have 12ft ceilings in there, and enough length to fit a 212X with the tongue folded. Just need to raise the stupid 8ft header another garage door panel worth of height. Got a quote from a local contractor of about $5k. Sounds expensive until you think about $150/mo for covered storage. Then it's only a 33mo payback. We've already had our 19ft in the garage that long!

Anywho, great looking place!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes it is...And it looks like @AZMark is one upping that with a 14'er. I really like our 12'w x 14'h doors. I should set the boat in the door opening and measure to the tow point on the tower. I think I am higher than 12' on our 07.
I was originally thinking of doing something like @Gunghoe9 built, but our neighborhood already has a bunch of big detached garages so we decided we should probably match those and went with a full RV size. Toy haulers and RVs are huge out here - they are putting giant garages on spec homes now so it should help if we ever sell.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ours will be sleeping at our dealer's indoor (unheated) storage this year; deliberating building a lean-to off of our garage/apartment for it to live in long-term, but it may be too close to the property line to pull off. Wishing that we could raise the headers on that garage, 99% sure one of the reasons the building was built by the prior owners was for boat storage, but their old Four Winns was nowhere near as tall as our 242!

During the boating season, it lives in 24' of water on a mooring ball like 99% of boats on our lake.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a perfect fit :thumbsup:
We're finishing our 4th season, and I think I finally have the system down. Only have to move a few items now. When we first brought it home and packed it in like that, it would take a solid 30min to get the other "stuff" out of the way so I could get the boat in/out.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@AZMark
Double check with your builder but you may not have enough height from the bottom of the header to the joist to get a door operator in. You may not be able to even get the door rails in. Just do your due diligence.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Large heated/humidity controlled commercial warehouse with multiple generator back-ups and security. About USD 700.00 for October to May. :cool:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@AZMark
Double check with your builder but you may not have enough height from the bottom of the header to the joist to get a door operator in. You may not be able to even get the door rails in. Just do your due diligence.
This has been a contentious topic in the design because I’ve tried to keep the building as low as possible. I’m acting as the GC.
The garage door company swears they can do it with 15” of clearance and a jack shaft mounted opener. The walls are 15’ high above the stem walls and the door will 14’, so as long as my slab is 3”+ below the stem walls at the door opening I’m told it will work.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please update how things turn out as this issue is one I am struggling with as I design a garage.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Please update how things turn out as this issue is one I am struggling with as I design a garage.
Will do. Maybe I’ll start another thread.
I can give you 1 important piece of advice...add 50% to whatever you start out thinking it will cost & get ready to hear about it a lot if you’re married.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Camper and boat.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Will do. Maybe I’ll start another thread.
I can give you 1 important piece of advice...add 50% to whatever you start out thinking it will cost & get ready to hear about it a lot if you’re married.
@buckbuck the wall height of 15’ along with a sloped floor of 4” below the stem wall seems to have worked for the 14’ door according to everyone. I left 2” of cushion to what the garage guys said was required (15’3”).
I’m lucky to have very accurate framers and concrete guys so there weren’t any goofs on that particular issue.

E6255FC5-18D3-4A5A-885C-02840D53A870.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@AZMark
Can you please take some close up pictures of the operator clearances once it gets installed? Are you going to drywall the inside? I am growing envious of your garage.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AZMark That looks awesome. Definitely an inspiration to what I am going to start I think in the spring.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
My front yard haha. (CANNOT believe moms allowed it) the waverunners are tucked in the woods