• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Where to flush the boat if you can not store it at home?

dimbmw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Hello guys
I am considering buying a yamaha boat and I’ve been watching videos on how the engines should be flushed with fresh water attaching a garden hose to get rid if salt water. I live in a gated community that won’t allow a boat. Will have to rent a boat trailer parking space, and I highly doubt they will have water hose there. Is there a solution for guys like me? I am in south FL.
Thanks

Hello guys
I am considering buying a yamaha boat and I’ve been watching videos on how the engines should be flushed with fresh water attaching a garden hose to get rid if salt water. I live in a gated community that won’t allow a boat. Will have to rent a boat trailer parking space, and I highly doubt they will have water hose there. Is there a solution for guys like me? I am in south FL.
Thanks

Can you not even bring a boat into the HOA? Most HOAs have a grace period to keep the boat on the property. Some say no overnight, some say 48 hours. Never seen one that said you can't even bring a boat home. Even so, I would probably say screw them. 2-3 hours of the boat in the driveway won't hurt anyone.

Alternatively look for RV storage to keep the boat. They often have water hook ups.

I would think most places that have boat storage has water access. Have you checked with the places you are considering storing?

Can you not even bring a boat into the HOA? Most HOAs have a grace period to keep the boat on the property. Some say no overnight, some say 48 hours. Never seen one that said you can't even bring a boat home. Even so, I would probably say screw them. 2-3 hours of the boat in the driveway won't hurt anyone.

Alternatively look for RV storage to keep the boat. They often have water hook ups.
Yeah what this guy says. Technically in my neighborhood there's 0 grace period for having a recreational vehicle in our driveway. If the HOA enforcement company happens to be driving by while you have it in your driveway you'll get a letter. It's totally toothless and I give 0 fucks about getting a letter, so if I need to work on the boat and/or we're using it I keep it in my driveway. HOA can fuck right off. We got home from a trip with the boat and had just unloaded the kids and got them lunch. Boat was in our driveway for less than 45 mins....couple days later got a letter with a picture of the boat in the driveway. What a colossal waste of our money to pay this company to harass us about dumb things. We're working on amending our HOA rules, but in a neighborhood of 500 homes it's impossible to get 3/4 of us to agree on anything. When we first built our house here the HOA did absolutely nothing. Not sure when/how/who employed this company to "enforce" the outdated rules from when the neighborhood was built.

Yeah what this guy says. Technically in my neighborhood there's 0 grace period for having a recreational vehicle in our driveway. If the HOA enforcement company happens to be driving by while you have it in your driveway you'll get a letter. It's totally toothless and I give 0 fucks about getting a letter, so if I need to work on the boat and/or we're using it I keep it in my driveway. HOA can fuck right off. We got home from a trip with the boat and had just unloaded the kids and got them lunch. Boat was in our driveway for less than 45 mins....couple days later got a letter with a picture of the boat in the driveway. What a colossal waste of our money to pay this company to harass us about dumb things. We're working on amending our HOA rules, but in a neighborhood of 500 homes it's impossible to get 3/4 of us to agree on anything. When we first built our house here the HOA did absolutely nothing. Not sure when/how/who employed this company to "enforce" the outdated rules from when the neighborhood was built.

Stuff like this is why I don't want to ever live in an HOA.

Mine is similar, I have a grace period of like 2-3 days to have the boat in the driveway. They kicker is that the HOA "rover" comes around once a week, so they have no real way of knowing when the boat got there. I've gotten a letter once about it, but the boat was back in storage by the time I received the letter so its a waste of time. Im going to assume it was a neighborhood snitch that complained to the HOA.

Stuff like this is why I don't want to ever live in an HOA.
Not all HOAs, however, are the same. Here is our requirements:

“No recreational vehicles (RV's), boats over twenty (20) feet in length, travel trailers or campers ofany type shall be parked, placed or stored forward of the front of the dwelling (i.e., in the area in front of a line representing the front of the dwelling and any hypothetical projection thereof). Boats or watercraft twenty (20) feet and under in length may be kept in driveway forward of the front of the house so long as such boat or watercraft is not unsightly; said boat or watercraft must be kept on a trailer with working, usable tires; and shall be placed as far back (away from road) on the driveway as to allow the owner to still maneuver vehicles around it. When such boat or watercraft is not going to be used for a significant period of time, owner shall move it toward back of property.

As our lots are 3/4+ acres, everyone has plenty of room to keep RVs and boats alongside or behind their homes.

Jim

Label and belittle them as boatphobes and land supremacists, then tell them your boat identifies as a car. ?

My HOA is picky, but lenient.
No Commercial signage on your vehicle, must be covered with a magnet the same color as the vehicle - Im ok with this one
No Commercial trailers or equipment in the driveway/property overnight - Again, I am OK with this
No permanent storage of trailers, boats, campers or RVs - OK with this one too
No parking on the street overnight - I like the idea, but not enforced worth a shit
Now I do bring my boat home to flush/wash it after each use. Sometimes I bring it home the night before and leave it hooked to the truck in the street if we plan to trailer a longer distance and want to beat the weekend warriors to the ramp. 10/10 times, people will walk by and want to look at the boat as they have never seen a jet boat up close and want to know more about it.
@dimbmw if I were you, bring it home, do what you need to and take it to your storage place. Like @1WetBoat said, by the time you get the warning its been gone for days.

I'm involved with 2 HOA's (President & VP positions)

Things to consider when trashing HOA's;
* YOU, the home owner agreed to the HOA rules and covenants when the home was purchased
* HOA is unable to selectively enforce rules for boat owners, for home owners who do not cut the grass, for the home owner who refuses to perform general upkeep of the property, for the home owner who wants to erect to a big stupid fence on their front lawn....you get my point on selective enforcement of rules, it goes downhill quick.

In my neighborhood, residents are quick to complain on social media platforms but never attend a HOA meeting, have no involved in HOA beautification projects (Christmas light install/removal, spring clean up, spring and fall planting, etc.) and no idea what it takes to actually run a HOA.

My suggestion, go to your monthly HOA meeting, get to the know the board members as they are your neighbors and keep in mind it is a volunteer position. I've been on the board for over 10 years and would gladly step down to give another resident an opportunity to take my place...if only they showed up instead of complaining on social media.

I would look into a marina that has trailer storage and will allow you to flush as well.

damn those HOA rules suck! our HOA only asks to keep your property nice. Every other home has a boat in their driveway. One of the reasons I agreed to live in an HOA neighborhood again. Previous home had a 3 day rule.

* YOU, the home owner agreed to the HOA rules and covenants when the home was purchased
* HOA is unable to selectively enforce rules for boat owners, for home owners who do not cut the grass, for the home owner who refuses to perform general upkeep of the property, for the home owner who wants to erect to a big stupid fence on their front lawn....you get my point on selective enforcement of rules, it goes downhill quick.

In my neighborhood, residents are quick to complain on social media platforms but never attend a HOA meeting, have no involved in HOA beautification projects (Christmas light install/removal, spring clean up, spring and fall planting, etc.) and no idea what it takes to actually run a HOA.

My suggestion, go to your monthly HOA meeting, get to the know the board members as they are your neighbors and keep in mind it is a volunteer position. I've been on the board for over 10 years and would gladly step down to give another resident an opportunity to take my place...if only they showed up instead of complaining on social media.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I go to just about all my HOA meetings, if i miss them it was because of previous engagements (kids dance, sports,e tc..) I even considered running for the board but if I cant give my 100% attention to it I figured it wouldn't be fair so I opted not to.

For the most part I dont have an issue with the HOA rules. As for when we agreed to the HOA rules, I live in a new build community where the HOA didn't exist in its current form when I bought the house. The HOA rules have been amended several times since I purchased my home, so not all the rules are the same as when we purchased.
The one thing I dont like and I was opposed to and voted against was the addition of "Volunteer HOA enforcers" or something like that. Basically anyone can volunteer to "inform" the board when they see a violation occuring. My issue is that most of these volunteers probably do not know the rules thoroughly enough and just go around taking notes etc...

Other than that, I can deal with the rules, basic common sense stuff that if you like your property you shouldnt have an issue taking care of.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I go to just about all my HOA meetings, if i miss them it was because of previous engagements (kids dance, sports,e tc..) I even considered running for the board but if I cant give my 100% attention to it I figured it wouldn't be fair so I opted not to.

For the most part I dont have an issue with the HOA rules. As for when we agreed to the HOA rules, I live in a new build community where the HOA didn't exist in its current form when I bought the house. The HOA rules have been amended several times since I purchased my home, so not all the rules are the same as when we purchased.
The one thing I dont like and I was opposed to and voted against was the addition of "Volunteer HOA enforcers" or something like that. Basically anyone can volunteer to "inform" the board when they see a violation occuring. My issue is that most of these volunteers probably do not know the rules thoroughly enough and just go around taking notes etc...

Other than that, I can deal with the rules, basic common sense stuff that if you like your property you shouldnt have an issue taking care of.

Man I would be pissed if I bought land then they decided to create an HOA. I would think you have some sort of legal protection if you had to duke it out.

Same! Our neighborhood was still being built when we built here. The HOA rules then were insanely basic and run by the builder who couldn't give 0 fucks. Once it was complete somewhere in there it gave them the right to hand over running/enforcement to an outside company.

We have people in the neighborhood that are "president" and such, but they hold 0 power. It's all the HOA company. I'd feel less annoyed if we didn't spend $50k a year to be harassed by this POS company and yet our HOA complains they're out of money. Well fire that fucking POS company that does nothing but drive around and send useless letters. So basically we can't vote out the HOA company as they hold the veto power. We're trying to amend the rules, but again it's nearly impossible to do. So, I'll continue to just ignore the HOA and do what I want. Ours is trash and run by a company we can't get rid of that keeps jacking up our rates and increases our HOA dues. It's kind of like the gov't that can just vote themselves a raise and we can't do shit about it.

No, I can't.

Our stupid HOA has this rule:

12.Personal Property - The personal property of any Resident, other than cars,
outdoor furniture, barbecue grills, generators, air conditioners, pool equipment and
garden hoses shall be stored inside their Home and garage and not be visible to
surrounding neighbors or from Association property.

So once I left a kids toy car and a bicycle on the porch and they immediately sent me a ticket.
They only allow cars. Toy cars , boats and trailers do not count.

No, I can't.

outdoor furniture, barbecue grills, generators, air conditioners, pool equipment and

So once I left a kids toy car and a bicycle on the porch and they immediately sent me a ticket.

Put some potted plants on it and call it outdoor furniture... ?

This is my second HOA and the last one I participate in.
Board member in the last one.
The HOA is basically created by dumb lawyers with no logic to protect the developer while they are building and selling the community. So the first buyer doesn't paint house pink and park 45 foot RV. All that stuff can deter future homeowners.

Example of one of the laws we have:
You can't have permanent basketball hoop, only portable one and after kids done playing it should be stored in garage.
So what that means is a kid should pull out the hoop from garage, fill the base with water, play for half an hour, drain the base, and wheel it into garage. I can tell you even I can't wheel that thing into garage by myself. No logic.
I would prefer professionally installed permanent hoop with condition that homeowner should maintain it with no rust or broken parts.
Normal board can ammend the rules but that is a painful expensive process.

Anyway, what I learned is that HOA can't even enforce their rules even through HOA management company. Like what can they do? The street belongs to county (unless HOA is gated) so it is county rules not HOA rules. Only way to tow you is if your tags are expired, BUT if you keep the car with expired tags on your property county can't tow it.
We had people bring RVs and car that were out of state and sitting for months. Concerned citizens complained, but nothing HOA could do since no one knows even who the owner is :)

What HOA can do is send you letters with violations, but that is about it. Even if HOA sends you a fine you can contest it and judge will throw it out.
And HOA will try to avoid court since it cost them money too.

This is how MOST HOAs work.

But than there is Columbia MD Association, they are one of the biggest HOAs in the country, they have their own police, fitness clubs, and a ton of other facilities. From what I hear they fine you - you pay them.

Last edited:
No, I can't.

What are they going to do if you have a boat in there for a couple of hours?

What are they going to do if you have a boat in there for a couple of hours?
Great question. What time period are covered by the restrictions? Overnight? Something else?

Jim

Back