• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Boat Where?

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm a Maryland native and have been boating the Chesapeake Bay since forever. At the moment, I have two boats. A 2023 222XD and a 2016 Key West dual console. In theory, I was going to sell the Key West, but in the interim, I ended up getting a place in SW Florida. I'm decidedly not a snowbird type and will be spending roughly 50% in both places throughout the year, so am trying to figure out which boat goes where.

You might think that the Chesapeake isn't the best place for a Yamaha jet boat, but I've taken my AR230 back and forth from Crisfield to the Annapolis area on many many occasions and the 222XD is even better for runs across and up and down the bay.

Florida runs will start out in Punta Gorda and ideally range from Fort Myers to Boca Grande. Some fishing, but mainly exploring / sand bars / lunch runs, etc. The Key West is more of a ride hard and put away wet sort of boat and it just "feels" like it'd fare better there. I have a lift at both places FYI.

Thoughts?

IMG_7304.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

What is the length of the Key West?
What is the fuel capacity of the KW and it’s best cruise mpg?
Not being familiar with either of your boating areas, what are the distances you want to travel at both places?
What about going over to Bimini or Dry Tortugas?

I would think the KW has a much better and or potential (Sharrow prop) cruise mpg than the 222 XD, so the KW might be better suited to some longer runs?

As @FSH 210 Sport said, I am also not familiar with these waters. Putting the propulsion system aside, what are you looking to do? I would assume the KW is more of a deep V and would handle the rougher Fl water. When I had my SX195 in Tampa, a 2’ chop would beat the hell out of us (and maybe even knock a couple screws loose) due to the performance hull factor as it wanted to ride on the water opposed to cut the water. To me, I would say the KW would be a better option in Fl. It’s an OB so you can still tilt it when in shallow water, but have the bite of the prop in rougher water. Again, I have never been in the Chesapeake so I may be completely backwards or wrong. I am married and told I am frequently wrong from time to time ?

Thanks for the replies.... You are right FSH regarding fuel economy. The KW is about 5gph / 5mpg (25mph) with a top speed of between 40 and 48 depending on loading. In both cases (Chesapeake or Gulf Coast) typical runs are 20 miles or less one-way.

For TB, in my experience, 2' seas beat me up in any boat under 25'. They KW hull has a slight advantage, but not a ton.

I would more likely make longer runs in the gulf, and I'm also more likely to get it all fish-gutsy there, so I think you're having me answer my own question. And I'm more likely to have passengers in Maryland and the Yamaha is definitely more of a hit when it comes to water sports or lollygagging around with people.

My father has a couple of boats in Englewood, just North of Punta Gorda. A 22' Scout CC and a 17' Maverick skinny water flats boat. Two things they are glad to have on the Scout are trim tabs and shade. Oh, and Yamaha's out back of both. The Maverick has a long push pole and is bare bones for fishing in the mangroves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.... You are right FSH regarding fuel economy. The KW is about 5gph / 5mpg (25mph) with a top speed of between 40 and 48 depending on loading. In both cases (Chesapeake or Gulf Coast) typical runs are 20 miles or less one-way.

For TB, in my experience, 2' seas beat me up in any boat under 25'. They KW hull has a slight advantage, but not a ton.

I would more likely make longer runs in the gulf, and I'm also more likely to get it all fish-gutsy there, so I think you're having me answer my own question. And I'm more likely to have passengers in Maryland and the Yamaha is definitely more of a hit when it comes to water sports or lollygagging around with people.

My hopes were that my questions would bring some clarity to the equation. Best part is that they are both trailer boats so easy to move from location to the other.

Back