• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Coaxial Speakers Did You Use???

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That looks sweet!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very Nice!! :thumbsup:

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just about to pull the trigger on the Rockford 262's. Curious how you still feel about the JLs. Also I cannot find the JL mx 650's for any less than $199.

I have a Rockford 600x4 that pushes 75w RMS. The JL's are only rated for 60w RMS right?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Putting in exile cabin speakers and tower surf speakers hopefully by the first part of March. Don't want to put the batteries back in until it's closer to spring.

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I do special pricing for forum members, email me at salesATearmarkcaraudioDOTcom with what you're looking for and I'll make you a deal on the JL speakers.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@ChrisP ......if you are on a budget, go with the polk db651's. They sound great when amplified. Otherwise, bite the bullet and go with the JL mx650's. I made the switch from the Polks to the JL'S last year and the quality of the mx650's is far superior. This year I was lucky enough to be offered a Wetsounds demo deal from my dealer so everything in my boat is being switched to Wetsounds......except my mx650's. You could also consider the Wetsounds cabin speakers which are also true marine and very well made. @Earmark Marine offers both, and like he mentioned, he offers forum discounts.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
ChrisP,
The JL Audio MX650s are a bargain at $199 a pair, but you can get a discount from Odin @ Earmark Marine, plus, Odin is an authorized on-line JL Audio dealer.
For honest musicality you can't beat the JL Audio MX650s. Great midbass, smooth, depth, highs that shimmer instead of sizzle & crash, and a speaker that brings integrity to all vocals. You won't find another speaker that is close for under $200 per pair.
60 watt rating? JL Audio is conservative in the way they rate everything. JL Audio specifically recommends in print amplifiers with 75 to 100 watts continuous output for the MX650s. And a 75 watt amplifier rated with a 14.4V supply is more like 60 watts with the availably supply voltage in a boat. So there shouldn't be a concern there.

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the input. I have the stock Polk speakers, I believe they are the db650's. Not impressed, although I have not hooked them up to an amp yet (scared I will blow them). Always was a rockford fan in my cars (20 years ago). Was just going with what I knew. Everyone seems to rave about the JLs so maybe I will go that route. Is it worth upgrading to the 7.7s?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
'Yes' and 'no' depending on the numbers, locations and whether or not you're running a sub.
If you are not running a subwoofer then it's a huge upgrade going to 770s.
If running a good subwoofer with two pair of 650 coaxial speakers within the cockpit (excludes the bow area) it's really not a critical improvement. However, if running a subwoofer with only one pair of coaxials within the cockpit area then the 770 upgrade does make a difference.
In any case, if you only have a single pair of coaxials within the cockpit then give serious consideration to adding a second pair up front and in close proximity to the driver & observer.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Btw, Rockford Fosgate is decent equipment. But the company that you and I knew 20 years ago has changed hands several times.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for bringing this post back guys you just cost me money as I now know my next upgrade is to the led speakers lol.

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Btw, Rockford Fosgate is decent equipment. But the company that you and I knew 20 years ago has changed hands several times.
Sad to hear that! Good point on the cockpit speakers. I have 3 sets of 6.5s but only one in the cockpit. I do have a 10 inch sub but I think you are right on adding another speaker. More money but worth it if I want to hear it while running out.

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok so one more question to refresh my memory, I have a 4 channel amp that is 2 ohm stable. I can run 2 - 4 ohm speakers off each channel giving the amp a 2 ohm load, right? Can I run 4 sets of mx650's off of a 4 channel? $800 in speakers is more thn I wnted to spend already hoping to not have to buy another amp.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think I have seen anybody mention the Polk MM651's in this thread yet. I have always been a Polk fan, both for home and auto/marine. I have the stock db's (completely stock setup too) in my boat and am fairly happy with the sound quality when the boat isn't moving, but they definitely get strained at the high volumes needed while underway. I haven't heard the MM651's before, but I think that is what I am going to go with when I can afford to upgrade. They are only $118/pair on amazon and continuous power handling is rated at 100 watts. That's pretty damn impressive for a 6.5" coaxial in the $100 range.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think I have seen anybody mention the Polk MM651's in this thread yet. I have always been a Polk fan, both for home and auto/marine. I have the stock db's (completely stock setup too) in my boat and am fairly happy with the sound quality when the boat isn't moving, but they definitely get strained at the high volumes needed while underway. I haven't heard the MM651's before, but I think that is what I am going to go with when I can afford to upgrade. They are only $118/pair on amazon and continuous power handling is rated at 100 watts. That's pretty damn impressive for a 6.5" coaxial in the $100 range.
My whole boat is almost polk audio. I love the way it sounds, very loud and clear. MM651's on the interior and 2 MM1240 DVC subs powered by a polk 1000.1 amp. See sig for complete audio details.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll second (or third?) the MM651s. I put 6 in my boat last summer and think for the price they sound great. I was going to add a sub to go along with them, but after getting them in I don't even think I will add it now. A sub would add more low end and I could tweak the MMs a bit more to handle the mids/highs differently, but really overall happy as is.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have Polk MM651um speakers in my 210, powered by a Rockford fosgate 600/4 amp. The amp's xover is set at about 55-60 Hz IIRC. They sound excellent and can get very loud. Loud enough to seemingly drown out mls other noise and cruise while being completely listenable (I.e not sounding strained). Obviously mine is nowhere near what some of these guys have but I am very pleased. My wife got this stuff for me as a present and I really wasn't sure what to expect, but it has worked out very nicely.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Make a distinction between the Polk Audio MM651 (a 2.7 ohm automotive speaker with an exposed midbass voice coil) and a MM651UM (a 4-ohm marine speaker with a sealed midbass and more surface area). They do sound different with the advantage going to the 'UM' model.
Btw, for many years now Polk Audio home products and Polk Audio automotive/marine products are under completely different ownership. The 12V side is owned by a car alarm company. That doesn't change the fact that they still deliver good speakers.

ChrisP,
Yes, you can normally run eight 4-ohm speakers on a 2-ohm stable rated 4-channel amplifier. The quality of that amplifier will determine how it handles the thermal load playing hard on a July/Aug afternoon. If you maintain good voltage supply and it's a quality amplifier you should have no issues. Also, running the coaxial amplifier HP, when you have a subwoofer, takes some load off of the amplifier. And, running eight in-boat speakers on a max-loaded amplifier is relatively easy as compared to simultaneously running tower speakers and subs on the same amplifier.