• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Coaxial Speakers Did You Use???

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Make a distinction between the Polk Audio MM651 (a 2.7 ohm automotive speaker with an exposed midbass voice coil) and a MM651UM (a 4-ohm marine speaker with a sealed midbass and more surface area). They do sound different with the advantage going to the 'UM' model.
Btw, for many years now Polk Audio home products and Polk Audio automotive/marine products are under completely different ownership. The 12V side is owned by a car alarm company. That doesn't change the fact that they still deliver good speakers.

ChrisP,
Yes, you can normally run eight 4-ohm speakers on a 2-ohm stable rated 4-channel amplifier. The quality of that amplifier will determine how it handles the thermal load playing hard on a July/Aug afternoon. If you maintain good voltage supply and it's a quality amplifier you should have no issues. Also, running the coaxial amplifier HP, when you have a subwoofer, takes some load off of the amplifier. And, running eight in-boat speakers on a max-loaded amplifier is relatively easy as compared to simultaneously running tower speakers and subs on the same amplifier.
Thanks for the info. I have a Rockford Prime 600x4D. Should be good enough to run them but I will find out I guess.......

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the MM651UM in our boat and a pair on the swimdeck and they sound great. I have a 5 channel Polk amp for the 4 in boat with a 10" Polk sub in a ported box. The pair on the swimdeck are on a 2 channel Kenwood amp so I can separate the 2 zones. I've had this setup for several years and have been very pleased with it. I can hear the music over the wind and motors while cruising on the lake which was what I was after. We cannot however hear the swimdeck speakers at tow rope length while moving, but they're not designed for that. They are perfect for relaxing behind the boat while at rest.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are 6.5 inch speakers the stock size on a 2011 sx240? I think I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I think my system would go up Against most any system and fair well (if not better) - and cost less! But that's just me. See my hyperlink on my tag below to learn more about my speakers ' amps, and adds on. Cheers

image.jpegimage.jpeg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jackew do the kicker 6.5 inch speakers fit into the stock speaker holes in the boat? Those are the exact speakers I'm looking at.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I don't see why not. If you not in a hurry, I will complete my transition to all LED kicker speakers in my boat by replacing the stock Polk audio speakers. I can report back, but I see nothing that would scare me from our sharing and installing the speakers. I will be done in about a month tops.

From my prospective the kickers are a good upgrade from the Polk in both sound and loudness + LED lights make for a sweet sounding and looking appearance on the water.

I do not regert passing on higher end and more costly speaker option. I've put by boat side by side with a few boats that boast their systems and I was not one bit disappointed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't see why not. If you not in a hurry, I will complete my transition to all LED kicker speakers in my boat by replacing the stock Polk audio speakers. I can report back, but I see nothing that would scare me from our sharing and installing the speakers. I will be done in about a month tops.

From my prospective the kickers are a good upgrade from the Polk in both sound and loudness + LED lights make for a sweet sounding and looking appearance on the water.

I do not regert passing on higher end and more costly speaker option. I've put by boat side by side with a few boats that boast their systems and I was not one bit disappointed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Out of curiousity, what do the kickers run cost wise?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
mm651 are marine rated also....... atleast that is what the box says and they have served fine for 3 years in my boat getting wet.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input. I have the stock Polk speakers, I believe they are the db650's. Not impressed, although I have not hooked them up to an amp yet (scared I will blow them). Always was a rockford fan in my cars (20 years ago). Was just going with what I knew. Everyone seems to rave about the JLs so maybe I will go that route. Is it worth upgrading to the 7.7s?
I have the 7.7's and love them!

Thanks for bringing this post back guys you just cost me money as I now know my next upgrade is to the led speakers lol.
They make single LED "tabs" with 2 sided tape that u can run into the grills exactly like the way JL did it. Save you a ton of money too they're like $5 each for the RGB.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love seeing everyone repping the JL's! I had the Kicker LED 6.5 speakers as the stock speakers and couldn't take it anymore so it was time to upgrade to JL. I heard the MX650's but was encouraged by my dealer to the the M770's & M10 Sub and boy was he right! Although he did say that the Wetsounds Tower Speakers are better than JL so even though it killed me to have JL and Wetsounds because my OCD likes things the same I took his advice and I love this system!!
P.S. I had to paint it all the same color as my boat lol! jl.jpgIMG_3823 copy.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I already ordered the Kicker 6.5's. I have the LED strips as I plan to do them in the cup holders. for the price I paid I'm ok $239 for all four speakers so it should be a little of an upgrade plus two of my factory speakers are blown so needed new ones anyways.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DJMattyT , I love the colors! That is one nice coordination job there. And I believe you that it sounds awesome!

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
:winkingthumbsup"@robert843 yesterday I replaced all Polk speakers with the LED kickers. The holes and screw patterns matched prefectly ! Pictures soon to come

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay so after talking a lot of people's input into consideration, I decided to go with all Rockford speakers. The deciding factor was listening to my buddies system who has all Rockford amps and speakers. I replaced all 3 sets of stock polks with the PM262's. I added a set of PM282's below the driver and passenger seats. I also added a Punch marine 10" sub. For the sub I built a custom sealed box and coated it with truck bed liner from Home Depot. I have a Rockford R600x4D amp running the 4 sets of 2 way speakers and a Rockford Punch 300x1 amp running the sub. This system rocks!! You can feel every note and it has amazing sound quality. It blows away my expectations.View media item 2931View media item 2936View media item 2933View media item 2932