• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Coaxial Speakers Did You Use???

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I've installed stereo systems in all my boats and have always used the Rockford Fosgate M262B's. I love the speakers but ran into a warranty issue when I purchased from an "unauthorized" Rockford dealer. I asked if the dealer if he was authorized, he said yes, so I bought from him for three boats and my entire truck. Although when I had a problem with a set of speakers Rockford said that he actually wasn't an "authorized dealer" and I got screwed out of close to $500. Making the long story short I hate Rockford's warranty policy and want to switch to another brand. I'm looking for ideas on some 6.5" coaxials that will handle 75-100 watts RMS with very good sound quality. I know JL is the best along with Wetsounds but really like the Rockford price at around $140/pair. Any ideas?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Vedner19 ....... Sorry to read about the warranty issue. That's the problem with "trans shippers" ..........
They buy from Authorized dealers who use these sales to raise their sales quotas with the manufacturers, but they give up warranty coverage.
That's why these sellers normally on their web site say THEY offer a 2 or 3 year warranty. But yes .... It's THEY who decide IF & WHAT & WHEN they'll honor some warranty claim. And many of these sellers are not all "that" honest when it comes to this aspect. However, the buyer DID get a sales price less than what is being charged by authorized dealers.
And many times, a LOT less.

However, there are MANY excellent choices in Marine Speakers. Keep 1 thing in mind, IF you use AMAZON, and the SELLER is AMAZON, then you will almost always have a good resolution to a warranty claim. I did not say "always" .......... I wrote "almost always." AMAZON has an amazing record of going above and beyond to take care of customers, much like COSTCO (Who sadly does not sell Marine speakers .. LOL ).

The website @Julian wrote about above will let you know about many good choices ! And keep in mind, the Pioneers will blow your mind, for a lot less buckaroos.

http://marine-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/

I sincerely hope this has helped you. And please remember, when I wrote about AMAZON and Warranty, I did say AMAZON had to be the SELLER !
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have always had great luck with Polk and love their MM line. 6.5's are drop in install too (not sure about other brands).

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have owned the Polk db651's and now just installed the JL mx650's. JL is top of the line.....everything about the way they are made screams quality. They have a smooth, clean sound and handle the kind of power you are looking for. They can be had for around $169.00 a pair if you shop around. With that said, if you are really budget minded, the polk db651's are great sounding units.....just not quite the quality of the JL.

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
@MikeyL thanks bud. You're right on. Ya I do all my shopping on Amazon because of their willingness to make things right. I did actually purchase the Rockford speakers on Amazon from a 3rd party that said that they were a authorized dealer. Now if I buy Rockford I call Rockford directly to ask if the seller truly is authorized. With that said, @redthumper9, I didn't realize JL was offering a product at that price. I will be ordering two sets of the JL MX650's tomorrow. I ordered another Rockford M400-4D because I do really like the Rockford amps. This will be the 4th one I've installed and I've never had a problem with Rockford amps. BTW it was ordered from an authorized dealer lol. Anyways, should sound good. I'll post some pics when I get done. Thanks again. Don-

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought mine locally for $169.00 a pair and I have seen them from time to time online for that price. Call Odin directly at Earmark Marine. He offers a discount to forum members and I bet he can get you at least in that ballpark. BTW... I too, like the Rockford amps. I have since moved on, but I was running 2 of the 400-4d's and a 750-1D Rockfords last year. Great sounding little budget amps with good power.

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Ok perfect, I was just looking for who was selling them @ the best price... Appreciate the info, I'll wait and call him in the morning. Thanks man. Don-

chesbay007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered JL audio mx-650's and a JL Audio sub from Pacific Stereo. They are an authorized dealer and offer 20% off for all new sales. The best deal you will find that is an authorized dealer.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just ordered JL audio mx-650's and a JL Audio sub from Pacific Stereo. They are an authorized dealer and offer 20% off for all new sales. The best deal you will find that is an authorized dealer.
:winkingthumbsup"
WOW - Wish I had known this when I got my MX650's ! Many Thanks - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA :thumbsup:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Be careful with the $169 online sellers...you may be right back into "no warranty". Don't you wish there was some kind of control of online claims today? I hate regulation, but I almost saved $1000 on a TV...that wouldn't have had ANY warranty whatsoever, without shipping it back to the seller, that didn't have a service department, and he would have to "just get it fixed for me", if needed. Is it worth that? Probably, if you have deep pockets, and just consider a component failure a risk, and replace the whole thing instead of hassling with it. Authorized dealers are really limited as to discounts, but quality dealers will be competitive with authorized dealers. A note, JL's MX 650 and the Polk MM651UM are very similar, and you can find reviews placing one on top one year and the other the next year. While their sound quality is very similar, if you listen to both in a sound room, and compare both side by side, you will buy the JL speaker. JL's build quality is just second to none, and since they are both priced almost the same, it was a no brainer for me. Seriously, pull out the two speakers and look at them side by side. @David Analog would have to describe their sound difference, they are both very good, but they do have their own characteristics...so it just comes down to which sounds better to you IMO.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just looked up Pacific Stereo by zip code on JL Audio's website, it says they are a JL Audio Signature Dealer (at least at their 6019 Topanga Canyon Blvd #C, Woodland Hills, CA, 91367 location).
Does this mean they are an "authorized dealer" for Internet sales purposes?

JL Audio Pacific Stereo Signature Dealer.JPG

ripndip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The new kickers with LEDs sound amazing !!! I kept my 4 Polk 6.5 stockers and added 4 kicker 6.5s and 1 10" kicker sub powered all by a fusion 5 channel 1600 watt amp. Sounds great and the LEDs are amazing to look at

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
BTW.....the local shop that I bought my JL's from informed me that JL is coming out with their mx650 line that has LED's already built in as well. Also, he said they had a new line of amplifiers at the CES show that were just one step below full submersion on the waterproof scale. They were actually playing the amplifiers with garden hoses running on them. Not sure on release dates obviously.....maybe David Analog or Earmark has more info?

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had some of these DC Gold

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
BTW.....the local shop that I bought my JL's from informed me that JL is coming out with their mx650 line that has LED's already built in as well. Also, he said they had a new line of amplifiers at the CES show that were just one step below full submersion on the waterproof scale. They were actually playing the amplifiers with garden hoses running on them. Not sure on release dates obviously.....maybe David Analog or Earmark has more info?
I can't remember where I saw them, but I saw one of the authorized online JL Audio stores had photos of a set of MX650s with built-in LEDs - unfortunately they were Blue, not RGB.
Also, I saw a number of different speakers from JL Audio are/will be available with chrome grilles. Those look just like the JL Sport grilles but are chrome - they looked really sharp. There is also a significant $ premium that goes with the chrome option, naturally.