• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

XS Power batteries for starting and house?

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
**Disclaimer** I used the search feature and couldn't find my answer, hence this post.

I am looking to replace my batteries on my 2017 212 Limited S, it came with 2 batteries (Dynamic) that have lasted me well, but with upgrading the stereo 2 years ago and now adding tower speakers this year, I figured I would invest in some decent batteries. My set up consists of JL Media Master, 100, 3 amps (JL 800x8, 600x1, and 400x4) which powers 2 sets of JL M6 7.7, 2 sets of JL M6 6.5's, 2 - JL audio 10 IB subs, and 2 - JL M6 8.8 tower speakers. I mainly go out on the weekend and will turn it on for a bit, not usually crank it all at the same time as I have it set in zones, so I plan on having the tower and swim deck speakers going mainly, so not crazy power consumption.

Like everyone looking at batteries, I know that I want AGM and deep cycle, however I'm not looking to add a third, but looking at upgrade the stock group 24's for the factory look. Plus its nice to have the storage under there (kids toys have taken over, so its nice to have a dry*ish* storage area for my stuff).

SO finally to my question, is anyone running the XS power batteries for both their starting and house batteries, or would I be better off getting a Sam's club Duracell AGM Marine for the start and invest in the XS Power for just the house? I also called XS and they said they don't rate their batteries in cranking amps as they aren't meant for that purpose, but would be ok to mix and match same "type" batteries. I appreciate anyone's help as my head is spinning with over thinking batteries for the past couple days.

DRock3d

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went through a long winter of battery research and ended up with a 31M X2 Power Dual Purpose as my house battery. 100ah of fun and a 4 year warranty. They are rebadged Northstar batteries and the warranty can't be beat. If you are looking for more stereo run time you'll likely have to add a second house battery because you're limited by the ah rating.

I haven't put my tower speakers and amp back in this season yet but I haven't dropped the battery under 12.8v unloaded just running the stock stereo and boat electronics.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
**Disclaimer** I used the search feature and couldn't find my answer, hence this post.

I am looking to replace my batteries on my 2017 212 Limited S, it came with 2 batteries (Dynamic) that have lasted me well, but with upgrading the stereo 2 years ago and now adding tower speakers this year, I figured I would invest in some decent batteries. My set up consists of JL Media Master, 100, 3 amps (JL 800x8, 600x1, and 400x4) which powers 2 sets of JL M6 7.7, 2 sets of JL M6 6.5's, 2 - JL audio 10 IB subs, and 2 - JL M6 8.8 tower speakers. I mainly go out on the weekend and will turn it on for a bit, not usually crank it all at the same time as I have it set in zones, so I plan on having the tower and swim deck speakers going mainly, so not crazy power consumption.

Like everyone looking at batteries, I know that I want AGM and deep cycle, however I'm not looking to add a third, but looking at upgrade the stock group 24's for the factory look. Plus its nice to have the storage under there (kids toys have taken over, so its nice to have a dry*ish* storage area for my stuff).

SO finally to my question, is anyone running the XS power batteries for both their starting and house batteries, or would I be better off getting a Sam's club Duracell AGM Marine for the start and invest in the XS Power for just the house? I also called XS and they said they don't rate their batteries in cranking amps as they aren't meant for that purpose, but would be ok to mix and match same "type" batteries. I appreciate anyone's help as my head is spinning with over thinking batteries for the past couple days.
I don’t see anywhere that you have an onboard battery charger.. probably THE most important thing you can add to your boat when it comes battery performance as well as longevity. These XS batteries are just AGM batteries and as such need a good quality charger like a NOCO or MinnKota that have charging profiles for AGM batteries. Both the NOCO and the MinnKota can be selected for lead acid, AGM and lithium.

After spending a long time researching lithium batteries, one of the vids I watched from Battle Born was about a young engineer who ran tests on all of the lead acid, AGM and Battle Born lithium, one thing became very clear, the most bang for your buck is the standard deep cycle lead acid battery.

This video is well worth your time to watch….

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To me it's more about spec that tech. Then from there it's cost/value. I wouldn't consider any deep cycle that was less than 100ah. I would also consider the same deep cycle for starting. I pull from both. I have my boat speaker amp wired to starting and tower/sub to house deep cycle but run in combined mode too. Our engines don't take much to turn them over so CCA is not important. My amps will shut off when voltage drops too low but will still easily start both engines. I've never had an issue over a decade. I get 5 years or so with Duracell standard wetcell, not AGM. I've had AGM over the years it's just been more cost for me with no advantage. As mentioned above, to get the best service out of the batteries, they need to be hooked up to charger when not out on the water. Dual bank on board is the best option.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length