• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 200 HDPI with 6553 Hours

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just ran over to my buddys house (the one that pulled the LS/AR console hatch molds) and ran YDS on it... it acted funny coming in the other day and he thought it went into Limp mode... a quick scan showed that the issue was low battery voltage that tripped alot of other codes... we had no idea how many hours were on the engine initially YDS shows 6553.5 hours WOW... also the RPM/Hour Histogram doesn't work but everything else did... i think the engine is a 2002... it has a variable displacement scheme where it turns off two or 4 cylinders when not in gear... the only thing I found was #1 spark plug was missing until it got up to temp... I told him to get it warm and then change the plugs and take it out and run it a bit harder or go one hear range warmer with plugs... I cleared all the codes and lets see what happens... He was gonna put in a "new" battery as well the battery was 6 years old... the charging system is working...

Just ran over to my buddys house (the one that pulled the LS/AR console hatch molds) and ran YDS on it... it acted funny coming in the other day and he thought it went into Limp mode... a quick scan showed that the issue was low battery voltage that tripped alot of other codes... we had no idea how many hours were on the engine initially YDS shows 6553.5 hours WOW... also the RPM/Hour Histogram doesn't work but everything else did... i think the engine is a 2002... it has a variable displacement scheme where it turns off two or 4 cylinders when not in gear... the only thing I found was #1 spark plug was missing until it got up to temp... I told him to get it warm and then change the plugs and take it out and run it a bit harder or go one hear range warmer with plugs... I cleared all the codes and lets see what happens... He was gonna put in a "new" battery as well the battery was 6 years old... the charging system is working...

The hours is obviously bogus. 65535 is FFFF in hexadecimal which is how software would store a 16-bit value in internal data. Most likely that means the data storage in the device is either corrupt or been wiped. Wouldn't be surprised if many other things are going to be reading bad also. If a factory reset can be done, that MAY re-initialize everything back to a usable state. But that may cause other issues also. You might want to check with Yamaha before doing that. Outside chance that fixing the low voltage might allow the proper values to be read correctly. Electronics don't tend to like to run too far under voltage....

I agree however integer, fixed point, and floating point arithmetic are different... it had believable history in the logs and entries at 6553.0 and 6553.5 so I don't think its a overflow/latch issue.. I cleared the saved diagnostic codes and well see what gets logged today... the software clearly knew it needed to restart and load new datafiles and forced me to do that... all the active and static tests ran... we checked that it was correctly reading the sensors that it was easy to test... the only feature that i found that didn't display correctly was the engine hours/RPM histogram. I think its just a bad battery that was the first code and everything was down stream of that... it was a working boat here before he got it and that works out to 300 hours a year he puts 300 hours a year on the boat on average...

Last edited:
I agree however it had believable history in the logs and entries at 6553.0 and 6553.5 so I don't think its a overflow/latch issue.. I cleared the saved diagnostic codes and well see what gets logged today... the software clearly knew it needed to restart and load new datafiles and forced me to do that... all the active and static tests ran... we checked that it was correctly reading the sensors that it was easy to test... the only feature that i found that didn't display correctly was the engine hours/RPM histogram. I think its just a bad battery that was the first code and everything was down stream of that... it was a working boat here before he got it and that works out to 300 hours a year he puts 300 hours a year on the boat on average...

300 a year is reasonable. the 195 will see around 400 this year.

Isn’t the average life of a salt water outboard that has been taken care about 8000 hours ?

Would have liked to know the hours on our 1985 Yamaha 115 ETLK 2-stroke. For a while this Summer I wondered if we were going to need to repower, but after replacing the tilt/trim asm., removing all the water from the 50 gal fuel tank, carburators, installing the correct hub kit for the prop, a new water separator/filter and new spark plugs, it runs great.

Last edited:
using the boat every day is the best thing you can do for longevity....

Back