• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha 275 Ride Quality

Rob2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I am a very happy owner of a 2015 Yamaha 212SS and I am considering upgrading to a 2020 275 SD. My main reason for upgrading is that the 212 does not ride very comfortably in chop. I do my boating in the Great South Bay (Long Island) so I definitely do not need blue water capabilities, but from time to time I will be riding in some moderately rough water. Can anyone comment on the ride comfort/quality of the 275 in choppy conditions? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

While I can't help you directly. The jump from my 2017 21' to my 2021 25' was a massive increase in ride quality. I would imagine the 27' is even better. With that being said, a good captain is needed to keep things smooth in chop. I've learned a ton since I first purchased by 2017 and can keep things pretty damn smooth even in some heavy inlets.

Interesting comments @adrianp89. What are some of things a good captain should do in your view? I rarely boat in heavy chop but was on Lake George early this year and the ride was pretty rough. Not sure I was doing all the right things.

Interesting comments @adrianp89. What are some of things a good captain should do in your view? I rarely boat in heavy chop but was on Lake George early this year and the ride was pretty rough. Not sure I was doing all the right things.

I think the biggest thing I can explain is moderate to slow speed (15-20mph) and maintaining that bow high in the air. A lot of it is just feel for the water and the boat. Of course weight distribution makes things easier, don't load the bow and leave the aft empty. When I am riding through chop and once I get set at a level and speed I am comfortable with, I use the +/- speed buttons very often to make micro-adjustments without touching the throttle levers. You need enough speed to get through it and keep the bow up, but not enough where you start to plane out. You eventually start to learn to read the waves and be able to ride with them. Very hard to explain but it's just a practice makes perfect thing. Watch some of the haulover videos where the guys just come through smooth as glass, this might help put a visual to it.

I will note - I am coming up on 300 hours on the 252, so there has been a lot of practice in the past 2.5 years.

Hey guys,

I am a very happy owner of a 2015 Yamaha 212SS and I am considering upgrading to a 2020 275 SD. My main reason for upgrading is that the 212 does not ride very comfortably in chop. I do my boating in the Great South Bay (Long Island) so I definitely do not need blue water capabilities, but from time to time I will be riding in some moderately rough water. Can anyone comment on the ride comfort/quality of the 275 in choppy conditions? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

have you considered trim tabs on your boat, many have reported great success in smoothing out the ride, especially on the Bimini crossers

I think the biggest thing I can explain is moderate to slow speed (15-20mph) and maintaining that bow high in the air. A lot of it is just feel for the water and the boat. Of course weight distribution makes things easier, don't load the bow and leave the aft empty. When I am riding through chop and once I get set at a level and speed I am comfortable with, I use the +/- speed buttons very often to make micro-adjustments without touching the throttle levers. You need enough speed to get through it and keep the bow up, but not enough where you start to plane out. You eventually start to learn to read the waves and be able to ride with them. Very hard to explain but it's just a practice makes perfect thing. Watch some of the haulover videos where the guys just come through smooth as glass, this might help put a visual to it.

I will note - I am coming up on 300 hours on the 252, so there has been a lot of practice in the past 2.5 years.

very helpful, thx

Spot on @adrianp89 !

Just slow the FAST down!

I humbly add, sometimes more of a zig zag course is needed to not only keep the ride smooth but to help keep it drier as well. Riding the troughs over so one can take a more direct course into head seas instead of hitting the waves at an angle and have the wind grab the bow spray / splash and throw it back into the boat.

I launch from wantagh park. For 5 seasons I had an AR192 and finally upgraded to the 242 limited a few weeks ago. Massive difference in ride quality and going through the chop. It’s a move that I wish that I had done years ago, but the market and timing never lined up. I imagine the jump from the 21ft to 27ft would be similar to my experience.

Back