• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Bucket Stuck In Reverse Issue

MarkG33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have a new 255xd and my starboard bucket it stuck in reverse. Its this way due to my using only that motor when trailering the boat out of harbor for the season.

Now this issue is, I believe, causing a BCU Stop code on when the electroics turn on. The means I cannot use any throttle controls to put the boat in forward, reverse, or rev the engines up or down.

The engins do start but that is all, absolutely no throttle control.

Does anyone know how to fix this? My dealership are horrible on helping. They are over 3 hours away and it's a horrible 3+ hours of driving through tons of small towns with lots of start and stop.

I read where Scarabs have an override on their engine page but I don't know if Yamaha has something similar. Apparantly you can do this with the engines off on a Scarab.

I have a new 255xd and my starboard bucket it stuck in reverse. Its this way due to my using only that motor when trailering the boat out of harbor for the season.

Now this issue is, I believe, causing a BCU Stop code on when the electroics turn on. The means I cannot use any throttle controls to put the boat in forward, reverse, or rev the engines up or down.

The engins do start but that is all, absolutely no throttle control.

Does anyone know how to fix this? My dealership are horrible on helping. They are over 3 hours away and it's a horrible 3+ hours of driving through tons of small towns with lots of start and stop.

I read where Scarabs have an override on their engine page but I don't know if Yamaha has something similar. Apparantly you can do this with the engines off on a Scarab.
Also, I did install thrust vectors from Jetboatpilot.com once the boat was out of the water.

Update: So I fixed the problem, at least for now.

Here's what I did.
1 - started both engines, turned the wheel all the way right and left. The throttles still did not work so I shut it down.
2 - removed the keys, turned off both battery switches
3 - turned the switches back on & put the key back in.
4 - *** When the system boots up, the 1st thing it wants to do is turn the blower on for 4 minutes to vent out any fumes in the engine compartment. I knew there were no fumes from just having the engines on so I TURNED THE BLOWER OFF - as a result the BCU Stop code never popped up.
5 - started the starboard engine and the bucket went back to normal as soon as I engaged the throttle. Engines reved, cleared the water from the exhaust and everything now seems normal.

Last edited:
I believe just shutting the battery main power off will reset the system for situations like you had.

Glad to see you were able to get the problem sorted out! Why were you only using one engine?

I believe the standard on / off procedure that Julian put out there is five times with an engine(s) start in there as well.

-batteries off
-batteries on
-engines on
-engines off
-batteries off
repeat

Keep an eye on your battery voltages and conditions. The SD and XD boats require very good batteries with a full charge. I can attest that batteries not holding a good charge or issues with the house battery connectivity will wreak havoc on steering, bucket and throttle control.

I ended up ditching the cheap batteries the dealer installed and installed two Duracell AGM Group 27 Marine Batteries. The Group 24 Interstate Wet-Sealed Batteries the dealer installed were just not up to the task. If the boat was not run for a couple weeks I would lose throttle, steering and bucket control. Shutting down 12V to everything to reboot the system fixed the issues once the batteries had the proper voltage.

I rack store my boat and last week and one of the yard hands who put my boat in the water found the extra set of battery shut off switches I installed for killing all power to the boat completely instead of the factory ones under the port seat. They turned the house battery switch off and I didn't know it.

When I went to power up the boat things were not right and I ended up turning the parallel switch on. Things then powered up and the boat started fine. When I pushed off the dock, I had no steering! The nozzles were hard-over to starboard so the boat kept pushing that direction... even when using the sticks independently. I managed to use a series of short bursts of throttle forward and reverse to crab-walk to the fuel dock 100 yards away.

I opened the engine compartment to use the battery disconnects I installed to kill all power and reboot everything to see if that would fix the steering. That is when I found the extra house battery switch I installed was off. Using the parallel switch gave the computer power to boot Connext but it was not enough power for the steering control.

Once I rebooted the system and returned all the switches to their proper positions, the steering and eveything else worked normally for the day.

Back