• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Jet boats and salt water

Mbruce122

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
New to Jet boats and boating in general. I live near the coast and was wondering how a Yamaha Jet boat would handle being in the salt water. I have heard Jet boats are fine with fresh water but not so much with salt water. Anyone with a Yamaha Jet boat i would appreciate your advice and input.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They do fine when taken care of. We are 95% salt water with no problems. Just flush with Salt Terminator/Salt Away after every outing. Wash down boat and trailer. Silicone/Anti Corrosive sprays are your friend.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2.5+ years in salt water only - no problems. As noted above, flush the engine(s) every time with anti-salt solution (I use West Marine's Salt Off); I also spray down the deck, cockpit and hull with it using a garden mixer/sprayer before the wash. Boat looks new; it is stored in the rack at the marina.

There is also a thread about wet slipping in salt water, and some have done it for awhile.

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2.5+ years in salt water only - no problems. As noted above, flush the engine(s) every time with anti-salt solution (I use West Marine's Salt Off); I also spray down the deck, cockpit and hull with it using a garden mixer/sprayer before the wash. Boat looks new; it is stored in the rack at the marina.

There is also a thread about wet slipping in salt water, and some have done it for awhile.

Can you just spray the seats/deck with the salt away (while it's foaming) and leave it or does it need to be washed away afterwards with plain water (or some other wash)?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I spray everything, before I wash it. You would not want to leave the anti-salt solution. I doubt that it would hurt anything, but it would leave a slightly sticky film (it has soap in it) and cause water spots. You could just rinse it off with plain water, but a normal wash (in my case with a wash and wax solution and a soft brush) removes any residue and the normal dirt.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I spray everything, before I wash it. You would not want to leave the anti-salt solution. I doubt that it would hurt anything, but it would leave a slightly sticky film (it has soap in it) and cause water spots. You could just rinse it off with plain water, but a normal wash (in my case with a wash and wax solution and a soft brush) removes any residue and the normal dirt.
Thanks! Any recommendation on a wash and wax ?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any good quality wash and wax will be fine; I prefer Meguiar's and Griot's products. The advantages to using a wash and wax versus just a soap are: helps preserve your existing wax/sealant and adds some lubricity as you scrub with your soft brush.

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wash with Dawn or car wash soap. Then use spray wax. Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax is my favorite, easy to apply, great shine and water repellency. I boat on salt water 100% of the time, never had any water spots or etching. Available at Walmart for around $13.

Barry165G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Wash with Dawn or car wash soap. Then use spray wax. Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax is my favorite, easy to apply, great shine and water repellency. I boat on salt water 100% of the time, never had any water spots or etching. Available at Walmart for around $13.
it is ok to dock on the wet slip for a week or two with flusing the engine every time use? i am from Long island too, i am new to this

Barry165G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length

it is ok to dock on the wet slip for a week or two with flusing the engine every time use? i am from Long island too, i am new to this. thanks in advance

Hokietechvpi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After about 5 days in salt water , you will start to get very small barnicles. Only a pressure washer will remove them. I will take mine out at 5 days clean , flush and put back in if needed. I now use a boat lift , so only a.day or two in salt.at a.time. Salt away flush and complete fresh water cleaning after a few days. Never had any issues with saltwater, its all my boat touches. At the sandbar , everyone is amazed at how fun a Yamaha boat is backed in to the beach.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
it is ok to dock on the wet slip for a week or two with flusing the engine every time use? i am from Long island too, i am new to this. thanks in advance
Doesn’t your scarab have a fresh water cooled engine?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve wet slipped for a week multiple times with no issue. The underside of the boat was as clean as when I put it in and no need to flush your engines as they shouldn’t be ingesting the saltwater like Yamahas. Just do a thorough rinse down/wash of the entire boat when you get it home.

Barry165G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I’ve wet slipped for a week multiple times with no issue. The underside of the boat was as clean as when I put it in and no need to flush your engines as they shouldn’t be ingesting the saltwater like Yamahas. Just do a thorough rinse down/wash of the entire boat when you get it home.
Many thanks!!!🙂🙂🙂

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All saltwater here as well. My general rule is to not leave it in the water for more than 3-4 days. On vacation, If I dont have a lift available i will pull it out and flush the motors and clean the boat. As with any boat in saltwater you have to be very dilligent with cleaning and corrosion preventive compound application.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All saltwater here as well. My general rule is to not leave it in the water for more than 3-4 days. On vacation, If I dont have a lift available i will pull it out and flush the motors and clean the boat. As with any boat in saltwater you have to be very dilligent with cleaning and corrosion preventive compound application.
Hey Dixemon, as a fyi, Barry 165G has a scarab which I believe are fresh water cooled.. your suggestions are still great but he doesn’t have to worry about his engine per se’.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
North Carolina coast here myself. My advice would be " don't get lazy with cleaning, flushing, coating after your outing, even if you are tired".
You have to be dedicated to the process after boating in salt water. Yamaha jet boats are very easy to maintain. I use mainly " Yamashield" to coat everything since it's a bit thicker. Costs a little more but I want the piece of mind.

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and....Glidecoat is an awesome ceramic coating. Its expensive, but so far it seems to be a great product. No re-coat needed for 1.5- 2 years even in salt. I coated my new boat before even putting it in the water.
I'm 5 months in and my boat still beads up when I take it out of the water. and, it's much easier to clean.