• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha No-Wake Mode Software Bug

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I did a search and didn't find anything so I thought I would post his for what its worth. I've found a reproducible bug in No Wake Mode.. at least in my '22 275SD.... or at least it doesn't behave as you might expect.

This is not really a big deal but if you put the throttles in the TDE position and increase the RPM's using the (+) button then move the throttles to neutral, the engine continues to run in fast idle instead of the RPM's dropping to normal idle.

I use No Wake mode when I am pulling into the marina and will use the buttons to control speed. Several times now I have had No Wake mode at the fastest idle speed and moved the throttles to neutral. The buckets go back to the neutral position but the engine RPM's remain at fast idle. The fast idle will remain until you either bring the idle back down with the (-) button or you push the sticks back to full forward and then return them to neutral.

I would expect moving the sticks back to neutral would deactivate No Wake mode and return the RPM's back to a normal idle.

I believe it's suppose to do that, so you can maneuver around the docks smoothly, I don't use it.

I don't have the same problem, but I find that the +/- No Wake mode/button doesn't respond well. It is less responsive when trying to reduce speed then when trying to increase speed. Often after several pushes there is no response up or down.

I believe it's suppose to do that, so you can maneuver around the docks smoothly, I don't use it.

That seems like an odd operation then. Aftet I’m in the marina and ready to dock, I’ll move the sticks to neutral and then use the sticks independently when docking.

I don't have the same problem, but I find that the +/- No Wake mode/button doesn't respond well. It is less responsive when trying to reduce speed then when trying to increase speed. Often after several pushes there is no response up or down.

My buttons are very responsive and that is one if the reasons I like using them coming into the marina. Interesting yours do not work as well.

My 2020 210 FSH No Wake mode works the same as yours does Judge. Once the rpm’s are raised with no wake mode the rpm’s stay at that level until they are lowered via the no wake button or the throttles are advanced enough to activate the potentiometer that controls the ETV (electronic throttle valve) whether in reverse or forward.

I find that leaving it at the highest level, 3, works great when steering with the wheel, then I’ll lower it to the lowest level, 1, when I’m around docks, this allows for a bit quicker and more authoritative thrust response.

Last edited:
My 2020 210 FSH No Wake mode works the same as yours does Judge. Once the rpm’s are raised with no wake mode the rpm’s stay at that level until they are lowered via the no wake button or the throttles are advanced enough to activate the potentiometer that controls the ETV (electronic throttle valve) whether in reverse or forward.

Ok…. Thanks for confirming!

But still seems odd to me. In my mind moving the sticks to neutral should always bring engine RPM’s back to normal idle ROM.

I find that leaving it at the highest level, 3, works great when steering with the wheel, then I’ll lower it to the lowest level, 1, when I’m around docks, this allows for a bit quicker and more authoritative thrust response.

Even out older generation 242ls does this. If I slide the sticks to neutral or reverse, I am still at the same RPM's until I either use the RPM up/down, or throttle up down.

Again, this had to be for maneuvering in and out of forward/reverse. I have never tried that, but it makes sense. It would be good for those that have a tendency to over rev and get themselves in trouble. I find that popping in and out of forward/reverse at idle is all I need, but I could see a time when a bump would help. As long as I remember to lower it quickly.

Even out older generation 242ls does this. If I slide the sticks to neutral or reverse, I am still at the same RPM's until I either use the RPM up/down, or throttle up down.

Again, this had to be for maneuvering in and out of forward/reverse. I have never tried that, but it makes sense. It would be good for those that have a tendency to over rev and get themselves in trouble. I find that popping in and out of forward/reverse at idle is all I need, but I could see a time when a bump would help. As long as I remember to lower it quickly.

Like when it is windy around the dock and you need a skosh more thrust …. I like that the rpm’s stay elevated so in windy conditions or if there is current you can just give it shots of thrust.

Last edited:
Had the same issue on the 195s

...if you put the throttles in the TDE position and increase the RPM's using the (+) button then move the throttles to neutral, the engine continues to run in fast idle instead of the RPM's dropping to normal idle.

My 2021 195S behaves the same way. As was mentioned, I believe this is by design.

My 2021 195S behaves the same way. As was mentioned, I believe this is by design.

Man he parked that boat like a boss! You could see he raised the rpm while it was in neutral.

Thanks...... I guess I don't like the way it is designed.

In a way, the paddle throttle/direction control is just an evolution of the no wake mode / cruise assist button. In the video you can see the guy just giving it shots of thrust wither forward or back and he is using the steering wheel to direct the boat where he wants it with the forward or reverse thrust, essentially just like the paddle controls.

Just this season is when I started using the no wake mode on level III along with the TDE position to have crisp directional control when leaving the marina, and when I was trolling for salmon where I needed engine thrust to accompany the trolling motor, and more so when conditions were so rough and or windy that I stopped using the trolling motor and just used the engines to troll with.

I nearly panicked the first time I discovered this. We have a decent length 6 knot run out of our marina and into the main section. I'm in position 3, putting along. I get close to the single lane railroad bridge and pull back on the throttle, only to find that we are still putting along. I guess I eventually throttled up to get it out of NWM. The details of that escape me.

I get where Yamaha is coming from, using this system to dock. Keeps the rpms up and you adjust speed via the thrust gate. But its counter intuitive when using it in a line of boats and somebody slows, your natural instinct is to cut throttle(s). Not look for a switch etc.

Back