• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Gauge Problem

caddymanel1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hi all hoping to get a little help. I bought a new 2024 255xd in Minnesota and live in Illinois. Long story short Illinois dealers can’t get the boat in for a while and basically on my brand new boat the fuel gauge doesn’t read any fuel however it does in the trip screen ie gallons used and average gallon per mile. Yes the boat is full of fuel and I pulled the floor and all connections are connected and nothing is loose. Any ideas on other things to try would be grateful tia

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you check for power at the connections at the tank? Also check that the ground is indeed grounded.

caddymanel1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I haven’t checked that not crazy electrical savvy. But I did have the boat out and filled before I took it out and no issues with drawing gas if that makes sense just no fuel gauge

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven’t checked that not crazy electrical savvy. But I did have the boat out and filled before I took it out and no issues with drawing gas if that makes sense just no fuel gauge
A common problem on boats are bad grounds…

caddymanel1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So is that something I can fix on my own or is that a it’s gotta go in kinda thing ?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You need to test for the hot, and the ground continuity yourself with a multimeter. If you don’t know how or have the meter maybe you have an electrician friend.

Why not take it back where you bought it?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not take it back where you bought it?
2 states away, likely a few hours away, is my guess, not to mention that they'll probably have to fit him in at a later date just like the IL dealers are telling him.

@caddymanel1 where in IL are you located? Depending on where/how you had to travel to MN, you may have passed 2 Yamaha dealerships on your way to get your boat. I'm not a fan of Skipper Bud's sales, but have no experience with their service. They have much of the sales territory in WI, with locations both in Pewaukee and Madison. Pewaukee sounds like it'll be closer to you, depending on where in IL you are. Team Winnebagoland in Oshkosh is in the mid-east portion of the state, but may be able to fit you in sooner than Skipper's. Beyond that, IN or IA may have dealerships close by as well.

I'm not familiar with the newer boats - I thought the new Connext panels had all that info, but you're saying it's got an honest-to-goodness analog fuel gauge? If that's correct, there's an oddity with those - it won't look like you're using any fuel until you've used 1/8-ish (or more) of a tank before the needle starts to register that fuel is being used. I can't swear to this happening with every boat, but that definitely is the case with mine (and others on the forum here).

I'd suggest taking out at least a 5-gallon fuel container on your first trip. Pay attention to the GPH. I dunno if you've got a 50 gallon tank, or what, but doing some simple math on your part should show when you've used at least a quarter tank, but in your case, until you've got this figured out, I'd use 1/2 a tank as your indicator for whether or not you're having an actual non-working fuel gauge

I'm not sure if I was following your description of the problem correctly, but at the very least, there's some info for you that may prove useful in the future.