• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk to me about Buffalo, NY

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, generally, that area gets with more snow. Just a week ago, where I live, had grass showing with out a single snowflake. Eden/Angola area had about 2 feet of snow, and was pretty sketchy drive I had to make to a client. I mean if your use to driving in snow, shouldn't be a huge problem. Seems everyone forgets how to drive in the snow. Silvercreek is right next to a indian reservation, so you will see cheaper gas than other areas. Dealership I bought my boat from his in that area, so that would be a plus. Also sand beaches on lake ontario in Angola area. Silvercreek, Angola, Evans, they are all more small town/village vs city.
WOW, that's pretty significant difference there.

Hows the commute through the city? Worth finding a place further north and driving down. I'm driving about 40-45min now, and would prefer to get a place closer, but if it means avoiding snow on the weekend, getting a better place, or better schools, etc.....then I'll do it.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm driving about 40-45min now, and would prefer to get a place closer, but if it means avoiding snow on the weekend
Having lived in NC for a bit, I'm somewhat bilingual, so I picked up a phrase that I really liked.... Bless your heart! 😄

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW, that's pretty significant difference there.

Hows the commute through the city? Worth finding a place further north and driving down. I'm driving about 40-45min now, and would prefer to get a place closer, but if it means avoiding snow on the weekend, getting a better place, or better schools, etc.....then I'll do it.
That’s the fun with “Lake effect” snow. The snow bands will set up in an area and just dump snow. I’ve seen it snow on one side of the road and not the other plenty of times. The areas you have been looking at are all nice areas. I drive through them quite a bit, but don’t spend of time on the area other than visiting clients. The big thing is just to keep in mind, your commute can easily double depending on a storm. Generally if it’s just normal snow, roads are kept pretty clean and might only extend your commute by 10-15 mins. But when a storm hits it can be brutal. So it would just be knowing when you should probably wake up early if snow is forecasted.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Have family in Lewiston (halfway between the falls and the lake on the river) and friends from Rochester, Syracuse, Wilson, and Lockport. Spent summers there as a kid. Lived in Chicago. The winters are more than I want now as far as length and temp. Great fishing in any direction you look and great hunting in the Southern Tier, about all I have hunted except for bird hunting in the vineyards by the lake. Plenty of things to do and like most places, you can talk yourself into liking it or disliking it if you choose. I have lived in FL, WV, NC, SC, IL, MO, TX and OK. I have enjoyed them all and missed some of the things from other states at the same time. Find a nice house with good schools and take on the adventure of a new job and a new place. If you don’t like it in a couple of years, find those new things again.

There is no bad choice here. Good luck!

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So how'd the meeting go on Wednesday? Making a move anytime soon?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how'd the meeting go on Wednesday? Making a move anytime soon?
Wednesday meeting went well. Lots of interesting details and information. Was made a "preliminary offer" then, and we countered on Wednesday night. Got a response on Thursday morning and accepted Thursday afternoon. It's a move within the existing parent company between two of the subsidiaries. CEO is travelling yesterday and today, so I haven't heard an official "Good, it's yours" message yet.

Offer has me starting 75% time in Silver Creek office starting January 15th, moving to 100% in Silver Creek by June 1. Will take some time to shed current responsibilities and get others up to speed (have ~$35mil of capital equipment fabrication and installation I'm managing, going to take a bit to transition to someone else). Wife and kids will follow me up once the school year ends (also around June 1st).

It's not officially official just yet, so there's a chance another candidate gets the final yes (there were two of us considered), and the whole thing falls apart. Hoping to be "confirmed" in the coming days, and to get working on moving forward.

**EDIT** Just got confirmation from CEO. Job is mine. Onward and Upward! **/EDIT**

It's a MONSTER upgrade in job role, responsibilities and career trajectory. Over 2x the pay as well. For me, it was a yes pretty early on, for the wife it took some convincing. Ultimately we both decided we needed a change of scenery and we've been talking about a move for quite some time (just as @Babin Farms ). We were targeting a new position, and to go south not north, however this is pretty low risk from a career standpoint, we get to "ease into it", and I think we'll be just fine on the snow/cold front. The thing we kept coming back to was "If we keep doing the same thing, we can't expect any different results", and we want some different results. Even if we're there for just a few years and we decide it's not for us, we're going to make enough cash to pay damn near everything off, and be in an excellent position to do whatever we think is the right next step then.

I really appreciate the insight and details on the area (and the job change) from everyone here. You folks are some pretty awesome internet friends!

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congratulations on the promotion! 🎉

Aside from any unexpected snowfall, I’m sure you will come to enjoy the new local. I’ve also lived in many different parts of the country, and every one of the have had pros and cons. Focus on the pros, and y’all will enjoy your new home area.

Best of luck,

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update on the job status......It's extra official now. Signed papers this morning. I guess the CEO could still unwind the deal if I do something stupid between now and when I start, but that's unlikely.

Found out I wasn't the only one that said yes and wanted the position. Good to know I was chosen and not just the only option. Makes it feel the position was more earned than given.

I go up on the 4th to get introduced to the company and have some initial meetings and such. Fly back the week after to get to work. Holy crap it's happening fast!

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congradulations on the new position. You will do fantastic.

Regarding the snow. I have a magical snow blower. Yes I said magical. My wife did not want me to shovel snow anymore (not that we ever get that much). So rather than hire someone (no kids in the area) I bought a new one. It is now two years old and never seen a lick of snow. Like i said it is magical. I could send it Buffalo to see if it is truly magical

Have a safe and prosperous New Year

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Regarding the snow. I have a magical snow blower. Yes I said magical. My wife did not want me to shovel snow anymore (not that we ever get that much). So rather than hire someone (no kids in the area) I bought a new one. It is now two years old and never seen a lick of snow. Like i said it is magical. I could send it Buffalo to see if it is truly magical

Regarding your snow blower theory…can confirm. Sometimes I think I’m personally responsible for climate change…

1703953657893.jpeg

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

John,

I hope that you opted for the extended magical plan, as I have enjoyed not having to shovel snow at our new home! 😄

Jim

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding your snow blower theory…can confirm. Sometimes I think I’m personally responsible for climate change…

View attachment 213258
I pass through Brillion often enough that if you want to plan a reunion, I can take your snowmower back home for a visit. Last time that happened though, it musta ran away, as it never made it back to its old home. Sadness and all, you see. ;)

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We call these Dog Eaters...
When I did snow removal in another career, I called them "SONOFAB;A9YRY2RLIFPHE WHO LEFT THE DAMNED TIE-OUT CABLE LAYING ALL OVER THE GOTTDANGIT SONSA...IBETTERHAVE A RAZZAFRAZZIN SHEAR PIN".

Any dogs that were eaten were due to sheer coincidence and crappy owners that rent. Or so I've heard.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I pass through Brillion often enough that if you want to plan a reunion, I can take your snowmower back home for a visit. Last time that happened though, it musta ran away, as it never made it back to its old home. Sadness and all, you see. ;)
Such a generous offer!

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We call these Dog Eaters...
My last Ariens consumed about 50‘ of extension cord one day when my spouse got a little aggressive while clearing some paths through the yard for the dogs. She forgot about the cord to some of the Christmas lights. Luckily, it was plugged into a timer that was off at the time, so no active current in the cord.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just a small update. Signed the official corporate papers this morning.

Fly up on Thursday next week for introductions.

It's becoming very real.
Best wishes in the new job and location! What a way to start a “new year”!

Fortune Favors the Bold!