• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha AR230 - Fair Asking Price? Recommendations?

iTzTPATT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello all - I have the opportunity to purchase what appears to be a lightly used 2004 AR230 for ~$17,000. I will have to have someone come out to confirm the engine hours, but have been told it was rarely used over the years (a few times each season).

Thought I would check in with the forum to get your thoughts regarding this watercraft? Any significant issues I should be looking for with regard to this year/model? Does 17,000 seem like a fair asking price?

This would be my first jet boat. Only concerns when driving the boat thus far are that the tower is loose (tightened all bolts but still extremely wobbly) and the steering is very tight (guessing it may need a steering cable replacement...seems as if it doesn't have power steering at the moment). Both engines seem to be functioning properly; however I did notice one engine seems to be lacking ~500 rpm at full throttle. Listening to the engines independently you can hear a slight difference, almost as if it has a cylinder not firing. Going to change the spark plugs this weekend to see if that fixes things.

Attachments

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pending the hours I feel that is pretty close to a fair price. Let us know on the hours. ECUs are the major concern for that model, make sure they are sealed up with some caulk and/or put some flashing over them to keep the water away from dripping on them. There isn't power steering, the steering should not be that tough if you're just idling around or if on plane. I assume the steering cables aren't bad but you can check how the buckets react when on the lift and someone is turning the wheel. 500RPMs is not that big of a deal, could be a spark plug or could be the throttle stop isn't maxed out on the one engine. Check the oil before and after water test to make sure it's not milky, whether it be water or gasoline mixing in with oil. If you're really worried about a bad cylinder you could always get a compression test too!

Above are common issues with the 230s, check it out!

All in all, great boat and motor, very reliable and easy to maintain.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interior looks in great condition. Salt water or fresh water boat?

iTzTPATT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pending the hours I feel that is pretty close to a fair price. Let us know on the hours. ECUs are the major concern for that model, make sure they are sealed up with some caulk and/or put some flashing over them to keep the water away from dripping on them. There isn't power steering, the steering should not be that tough if you're just idling around or if on plane. I assume the steering cables aren't bad but you can check how the buckets react when on the lift and someone is turning the wheel. 500RPMs is not that big of a deal, could be a spark plug or could be the throttle stop isn't maxed out on the one engine. Check the oil before and after water test to make sure it's not milky, whether it be water or gasoline mixing in with oil. If you're really worried about a bad cylinder you could always get a compression test too!

Above are common issues with the 230s, check it out!

All in all, great boat and motor, very reliable and easy to maintain.
Thank you very much for the feedback - I will give that thread a review and certainly check on the ECUs. Will follow up once I find out the hours.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well below NADA book

Values
Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price$31,999$20,070$22,770
Options (Add)
Total Price$31,999$20,070$22,770

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just be conscious that NADA reflect recent Covid prices. My expectations is that as prices for used boats begin to normalize post-Covid, NADA prices will start to reflect this change.

Jim

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, I didn’t expect them to adjust the values that quickly.

NADA didn’t seem to be “Covid” bumped in May 2021.

We paid $39,500 in May. I think NADA average was about $37k. I guess I didn’t save the screen
Currently NADA shows this for my boat

Values
Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price$48,999$37,560$42,650
Options (Add)
Total Price$48,999$37,560$42,650

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems in the ballpark, given the market conditions. If your scoring a boat like ours for <20k, don’t sweat it and start making memories.