• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 FSH 190 Hard Start

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here we go again.. after putting several thousand dollars into this jet boat the hard start from hell is not going away…. I went as far as putting in an brand new motor 0 hours… everything is brand new from top to bottom.. if you can think of it I replaced it smh.. I found that if I turn the key half a turn almost turn on the boat you can here the motor slightly spin wait for the ecm to turn on after the throttlebody stops humming and I then turn the ignition all the way to engage the starter fully it will then start right up.. only after I do this ritual will the motor fire up.. all my mechanics have stopped answering my calls because they can’t find the issue it’s driving me up the hill does anyone know or have any idea what I’m dealing with here? Thanks you for any advice.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you ever take this to a Yamaha dealer to troubleshoot this issue?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did and they can’t seem to understand what’s happening
Then take it to another dealer.

By the way, does it run smoother now that you rebuilt the engine?

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Then take it to another dealer.

By the way, does it run smoother now that you rebuilt the engine?
very smooth no issues. Just this crazy hard start. I can’t shake. I’m getting ready to upload a video to show exactly what’s going on.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
very smooth no issues. Just this crazy hard start. I can’t shake. I’m getting ready to upload a video to show exactly what’s going on.
Good at least that money was well spent.

Did you replace the key switch?

The video will be helpful.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That makes a lot more sense seeing it… you say you have replaced almost everything.. did you replace the ETV? Seems like that ETV is making a lot of noise… but I have little experience with that device but I’ve never heard that from the ETV’s on my engines..

Last edited:

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That makes a lot more sense seeing it… you say you have replaced almost everything.. did you replace the ETV? Seems like that ETV is making a lot of noise… but I have little experience with that device but I’ve never heard that from the ETV’s on my engines..
Yes, that’s a brand new throttlebody. I just took it to my mechanic he plugged in the computer and it has zero codes. We did find something the fuse box one of the little teeth connectors. Got corroded at one point and one of the tooth looks like it was eaten out by the corrosion. He advised to buy a new fuse box to see if that could be the issue. Here’s a picture to identify what I’m talking about.

Attachments

Last edited:

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here's an update... The new fuse box didn’t resolved the issue although I thought it did because it started fine on the cold start several time. I discovered something interesting. The engine has difficulty starting after it gets hot. I let it run on the hose for a while, turned it off, and tried to start it again with no success until it cools down. Once it cools down, it starts right up. I feel like I'm making progress... does anyone know of any sensors or plugs that may cause issues when the engine gets hot?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here's an update... The new fuse box didn’t resolved the issue although I thought it did because it started fine on the cold start several time. I discovered something interesting. The engine has difficulty starting after it gets hot. I let it run on the hose for a while, turned it off, and tried to start it again with no success until it cools down. Once it cools down, it starts right up. I feel like I'm making progress... does anyone know of any sensors or plugs that may cause issues when the engine gets hot?
Don’t worry about what it does on the hose! If it starts and runs good on the water call that a win. Go forth and burneth fuel!

Also, if there was corrosion on those contacts you found there could be corrosion somewhere else, go through every single connector and check for corrosion, spray a little die electric grease / silicone spray on them as you re assemble after checking them to keep the water out.